Forum home Babies Baby

quick tax credit qu

Hi just a quick question. my boy is nearly 7 weeks, can you claim tax credits whilst we are on mat leave and not actually paying anything out for childcare yet? I'm not sure what I will be returning to do at work yet so consequently what I will be paying for childcare. Does this matter?
I don't really understand.
Many thanks SE x

Replies

• Yes. Tax credits are worked out on your previous years income and is a 'payback' for paying into the system. Childcare is something different.

HTH and get that application in! lol
  • if they are a payback for paying into the system, then surely the more you earn the more you should get?
  • You would think Calleigh wouldn';t you but it never seems to work that way!!
    I waited till bubba was 10 months to fill my form in cos no one told me you got quite a bit more in first year of birth and because i filled the calculator in online and I misread it thinking i'd get ??10 a month so thought i couldnt be bothered. So i've missed out on 7 months of ??25 a week, gutted!! Get that application in!!

xx
  • I agree Calleigh, although I think everyone who pays into the system is entitled to something back, regardless of how much that is!
  • but why is it the less you pay in, the more you get back? i am tired of funding people to have 3 children they cant afford. it is a ridiculous system that, in an age of over-population and a strain on resources, benefits are paid out for each and every child, rather than just the first one, maybe two for those people who get 2 for 1 deals on childrenimage

by the way starryeyed, tax credits helpline is a mess. i was on hold for 25 minutes before i got put through to someone. i know a few people who have just got the message to call back another time.
  • hear hear! calleigh, I agreed, on both accounts. re helpline - least you got put on hold - I just get the 'all our call handlers are busy' message and cut off!!
    thx for the advice ladies
  • hear hear! calleigh, I agreed, on both accounts. re helpline - least you got put on hold - I just get the 'all our call handlers are busy' message and cut off!!
    thx for the advice ladies
  • my husband has been trying for weeks and got that messgae. i dont know how i managed to get to hold on. although not looking forward to receiving the bill. it's not a free phone number, is it?! maybe i could claim it back....
  • where can you get an application from?!?!
  • Calleigh - your post made me smile! I totally agree on the 'Pay less - Get more' benefit system in this country. While I believe everyone who pays in should get something, I do think we need to make SOME people in this country think before they have children.

And, on the 2 for 1 thing - this is something TAMBA (Twins and Multiple Birth Assoc) are campaigning for, as CB is paid on 1st and 2nd child basis. Fair enough if I had chosen to have my 2nd child (not that I would EVER say I didnt want both my boys, iykwim) but I didnt and yet we get 'benefits' as if we did.
  • ggrrr at the not even being in a Q, i have tried all day to get through!