Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

my 8 week old wont sleep in the day!!

hey i have a 8 week old who just wont give in to sleep iv done everything from leaving him for 10mins checking then leaving,pacifiers etc the only way he will sleep is in my arms being rocked!! please ne help??

Replies

• my daughter was the same, didnt take regular naps in the day til she was 4 and 1/2 months. Dont worry it will get better, I know it feels really hard now but it wont last. How does he sleep at night? Is he bf or ff??
  • hey! he sleeps really well at night, wakes up after 7 hrs for a feed then straight back down again for 4 hrs! hes being bf... iv had to use a sling now during the day or my bck would break!! how did u get urs to nap in the end?
  • To be honest I didnt. I started giving a bottle of formula in the afternoons because she had a real hungry period at that time and my milk wasnt enough (this was at about 13 weeks) and that seemed to help a little. She didnt really nap properly til I started weaning her. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear lol but I promise the nightmare you are having now will soon be a distant memory! I started weaning just before 5 months on the advice of hv, I know some people might think thats a little early but it worked for us, she needed more than just milk.
    Have you tried a baby swing? That sometimes bought me about 20 minutes, enough to run the hoover round at least lol
  • meant to say mine also slept great at night, thank god!! Made up for the days!
  • Hi,

my little boy is 5 months now but up until a couple of weeks ago he only had 2 naps a day..each lasting a max of 20 mins buy he slept through the night from 7 weeks

I started following the baby whisperer with regard to routine and after a week he was having 3 naps a day lasting about an hour-2 hours

I have a completly different baby (and house now that I get time to clean it lol)

Xx
  • Hiya image welcome to BE! Firstly, congratualtions! Secondly, 8 weeks is still sooo young to be worrying about naps and sleeping. Needless to say holding him whilst he sleeps may not be that easy! It may be your mill he smells whilst being held that he likes? Maybe you could try wearing a comforter or muslin down your top all day then transfer it into your Moses basket/cot and see if that works?

I hope you get a resolution soon! X
  • Hi there
    I also followed the Baby Whisper's routine/advice and it worked for me. Sam sleeps three times a day for between 1-2 hours and he also sleeps well at night with one feed at 4am. He is 19 weeks.

When he was about 8 weeks I realised that he couldn't put himself to sleep during the day and needed assistance to do it. I started with the walking/rocking thing and then slowly got to the point where I could put him down awake and he would go off on his own. It took some persevering. Sometimes I lay on my bed next to him stroking his head/face until he went off. Dummy/comforter are a great help.

But I can recommend the Baby Whisperer. Esp in terms of recognising the tired signs. If you spot them too late then it is hard to get them down.
  • hi thanks for all the advise, i will be going out to get the baby whisper book asap!! in the last few days iv realised he gets grumpy after about ihr 1/2 awake so im trying to get him to sleep then before it gets to bad!!
  • If the Baby Whisperer fails, there's nothing wrong with a bit of rocking! It was how I always got dd1 to sleep when small and she learned to self-settle fine as soon as she was independent enough (about 6 months I think). She just needed the comfort.
  • If the Baby Whisperer fails, there's nothing wrong with a bit of rocking! It was how I always got dd1 to sleep when small and she learned to self-settle fine as soon as she was independent enough (about 6 months I think). She just needed the comfort.

I totally agree. I always used to have to rock my DS to sleep when he was very small and now he doesn't have any problem self-settling at 4 1/2 months.