Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

room sharing

Just wondered if any of your lo's share rooms. We're only in a 2 bed so the boys will have to share but not sure when to put Alfie in with Rhys.
They are both great sleepers (although Alfie has taken to waking up at 5.30 singing away this last week) so I'm not too worried about them waking each other in the night, but I'm a bit worried as I've already caught rhys trying to climb in his moses basket whilst he's in there (yes at 6+ months he's still in his moses basket think it must be a record for most usage or something ha ha most babies last about 6 weeks ha ha) and he's always trying to love him but he's a *little* rough and I'm just a bit worried about him hurting Alfie.
Just wondered at what age you put them in together and how it went.

Replies

• Philip moved into John's room when he was about 18mnths, he stayed in with us more for my benefit than his until we started to disturb him when we came to bed. They are in bunkbeds so it was turned into a big exciting event - going into a big boys bed! Maybe when Alfie is in a cot Rhys won't be so keen to join him in there!
  • Jacob didn't start sleeping through until he was 9 months old so I waited until then to move them in together. He was in a travel cot in our room once he grew out of his moses basket (which I think lasted all of about 8 weeks so Alfie is doing really well!!). I started off by putting him down for his naps in the cot in Brendans room, and then just went for it at night times. My biggest problem was that Brendan went to bed ok but would lie in bed chattering away to his teddie and if I put Jacob down first or at the same time he would end up crying because of the noise. I only really feel like I have cracked it to be honest, since they are both going to nursery three days a week now they are sleeping loads better so Jacob goes to bed at 7pm, Brendan goes at 7:30pm and he knows not to make too much noise or he will wake Jacob. I also got a groclock which is helping Bren loads with not waking too early or making much noise if he does wake in the night. He knows to look at the clock and if the stars are there he has to go back to sleep!
    I think at Christmas when Jacob will be 18 months we are going to put bunk beds in for them.

Brendan is able to climb into Jacobs cot by the way, and I was a bit worried about that too but he has never done it in the middle of the night. Just when he runs in to say hello after Jacob has had a nap in the day, and they usually sit side by side playing with the toys on the side of the cot!
    Really good to hear Rhys and Alfie are sleeping so well. xxx
  • Well our boys have such a big age gap (10 and 2) so i dont think i'll be of any use here! lol.
    Obviously it works for us as the bedtimes are staggered; i dread to think how bad it would be otherwise! If one wakes up early though, they do wake the other up, whether they mean to or not.
    Hmm, not sure about how to stop Rhys being rough or climbing in...yes, perhaps when in a cot, he wont want to join Alfie? Or perhaps you could stagger the bedtimes so that they forget theyre in with each other lol xx
  • Well our boys have such a big age gap (10 and 2) so i dont think i'll be of any use here! lol.
    Obviously it works for us as the bedtimes are staggered; i dread to think how bad it would be otherwise! If one wakes up early though, they do wake the other up, whether they mean to or not.
    Hmm, not sure about how to stop Rhys being rough or climbing in...yes, perhaps when in a cot, he wont want to join Alfie? Or perhaps you could stagger the bedtimes so that they forget theyre in with each other lol xx
  • He's just gone into his cot for the 1st time tonight so will see how safe he is from rhys in there in the morning ha ha.
    I'm not ready for him not to be in with us just yet and we are lucky in that our bedroom is decent sized so the cot easily fits in.
    I think when we go for it I'll try the staggered bedtimes. Think initially it'll be easier to pop rhys in first and then pop Alfie in once he's asleep as Alfie is a much lighter sleeper, we wake him up going to bed but luckily just get lots of smiles before he nods back off, whereas once Rhys is asleep there's no waking him ha ha.
  • Hi - zach ( now 5) shares with Noah and it goes pretty well. The last few weeks they've had bunk beds. Noah loves been in a big boys bed and theyreally enjoy sharing. (so far!) noah also is good at going to sleep and staying asleep cos zach doesn't go to sleep for ages and is very noisy!