Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Another baby after induction 1st time...

Hi ladies,

I am currently TTC baby no.2. I was induced with DS as I was at 42+6 and still no sign of labour starting on its own.

I had a bit of a rough time as after my waters were broken my contractions slowed right down so after about 6 hours of monitoring and very little progress I was put on a drip which I was not happy about. The drip took my contractions from next to nothing to extremely intense very quickly and as a result the pain was totally overwhelming. I was made to feel I wouldn't cope (as it was my first baby I was scared and believed what the midwives were telling me) and was talked in to having an epidural that I didn't want. This resulting in me feeling totally out of control of what was happening to me and also meant I had a 2nd degree tear as I couldn't tell when contractions were coming so pushed at the wrong time.

Basically I am desperate to do everything I can to ensure nothing like that happens again if I should be lucky enough to fall pregnant again. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of needing an induction the first time but then going on to have a normal labour the second time round?

Thanks very much xx

Replies

• I am currently pregnant with number 2, and I was induced first time.

I think it depends on the reasons why you didn't go into labour naturally the first time, for me it was because of an 'ill fitting presenting part' (she came out hand first - which stopped her engaging properly) so provided this doesn't happen again, I should be OK.

Although I have been told that if you tear once it creates a 'weakness' and means that you are more likely to tear again.

Hopefully if you do need to be induced again, you'll feel more in control, and confident to tell the MW's exactly what you want.
  • Hi Nikki,

Thank you for your reply.

I was only induced because I was so far overdue and they didn't want to leave me any longer, there were no other issues with me or my baby.

I am certain that I will be speaking my mind this time!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x
  • Hi hun, firstly, sounds like your mw's wanted a slap!

I was induced with my first but made sure that NO EPIDURAL was in my notes and I reinforced this again when I went in and my mw's respected that, though they took that to mean that they could then talk me in to having entonox and pethidine (which I also didn't want). I can't believe how pushy they were with it and basically keep on at you until you agree, it seems this is a common theme, so know how you feel there.

With my second my waters went on their own but because of him being back to back no contractions so I had to go on the drip again and was badgered yet again by the mw's even though it was a different hospital!

This time I'm hoping that I won't have to have that bloody drip and be able to do it myself, but if not I will be telling them in no uncertain terms what I do and don't want, and all I can suggest is that when the time comes for you that you do the same. make sure it's all written down and that your OH knows to back you up if they start hassling you to take pain relief you don't want.

There's nothing to say that having been induced once means you'll have to go through it again.
  • Hi,

I had an induction first time around too with epidural (which i begged for cause that drip is just horrific!) but 2nd baby came on her own only 3 or 4 days late. however! 3rd baby was also induced for being overdue & again i had that drip but i did manage with just G&A again but the difference in the pain intensity with & without the drip is amazing, I did ask for the epidural both times but was too late & im so glad i didnt have it.

Im 33 weeks this week with no. 4 & all going well I'll do it with just G&A again, but unless absolutely necessary they will not come near me with that drip!!

I hope you get the natural labour you want & I think the stats are on your side for your baby coming on its own!!

4fab.x
  • Hi,

I had an induction first time around too with epidural (which i begged for cause that drip is just horrific!) but 2nd baby came on her own only 3 or 4 days late. however! 3rd baby was also induced for being overdue & again i had that drip but i did manage with just G&A again but the difference in the pain intensity with & without the drip is amazing, I did ask for the epidural both times but was too late & im so glad i didnt have it.

Im 33 weeks this week with no. 4 & all going well I'll do it with just G&A again, but unless absolutely necessary they will not come near me with that drip!!

I hope you get the natural labour you want & I think the stats are on your side for your baby coming on its own!!

4fab.x
  • Thank you for your replies ladies, much appreciated.

MrsClaireabella, I am sorry to hear you had pushy midwives too. I think they sometimes try to talk women in to doing things they don't want to just because it makes their shift easier! I know there are a lot of fantastic midwives out there who don't do that at all, just wish they had been around when I needed one! I will definitely be voicing my opinions next time and if they come near me with a needle there will be hell to pay ; ) I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they keep the drip away from you too!

4fab - thank you for the good wishes, I hope you are right and things happen by themselves. Sounds like you have experienced almost every type of delivery possible! I am almost certain that if I hadn't been put on that horrid drip I could have done a lot better at delivering DS and wouldn't have needed any drugs or intervention at all.

Best of luck with baby no.4 hon! xx
  • I'm currently pregnant with no.2 and was induced first time round as my fore waters broke but i didn't go into labour ( well i did but it stopped). I had the pessary first and then the drip. They put it in wrong first time round and had fluid build up and then they swapped over onto my other arm but by then the dose was really high and i had none stop contractions for over an hour making me very sick. When they turned it down i found it easier, but my mw too was pushy and kept saying have pethidine. Eventually i had it,but it was given way too late just as i beagn to push so my daughter was really sleepy from it and so was i for the first few hours.
    I'm going to opt for a homebirth this time so fingers crosed thats what i get!
    If your only reason is because of being overdue try lots of things to get it going naturally. I'm sure you tried most:

Rasberry leaf tea from 37 weeks
    Hot curry
    Pineapple
    Squatting
    Long walks
    and the thing almost everyone say works ... sex
  • Hi kgaudion, thanks for your reply. I didn't have gel or a pessary as I was already 3cms when they examined me. Bless your baby being all sleepy. I hate how pushy some of these midwives are! Good luck with your home birth. A friend of mine has had 2 home water births and will be doing the same with her 3rd, she loves them and they have been really successful for her.
    Yes you're right, I tried all of those things and more to get labour started as soon as I got to my due date, but nothing worked for me! I will most definitely give them all another go if I fall pregnant again though! xx
  • Thank you so much Lauren, it is nice to hear a positive story such as yours xx