Forum home Babies Baby

can someone answer a question about schools please

Following on from the discussion about private schools recently. There was some mention of the 11+ exam and grammer schools, can someone explain to me how this works please. Do all children do the 11+? Are there grammer schools everywhere or does it just depend on where you live? I thought i remembered years back talk of grammer schools being closed down? And weren't some schools opting out of the 11+ exams this year or was this something else?

I know there are a few teachers out there so I hope that someone can help me. My dd1 has just started in year 1 and at the end of reception her report said that she was exceeding expectations in all areas expcept one where she was within expectations so I really want to make sure that we do what is best for so she can really achieve the best that she can.

thanks for any advice

xx

Replies

• from whgat i remember. you only take the 11+ if you want to apply for a grammer school-it will probably depend if there is one in your area, there was where i lived (one boys and one girls). your child can take the 11+ and chose not to go if they pass but the school they chose to go to has to be put as their 2nd choice on the application for secondary schools.
    i think it was the SAT's the schools were boycoting not the 11+

hth xx
  • Depends where you live hun - in Kent they still have the state grammar schools where you can choose whether your child sits the 11+ or not - and if they pass the 11+ then they will be offered a place at one of the grammars. If they don't pass - it's one of the non-selective schools for them.

In other areas, some of the old grammar schools became fee-paying independent schools - where you have to pay and your child still has to pass an entrance exam to get in. Others just became comps/high schools etc.

I'm no expert about areas other than Kent I'm afraid - so perhaps some of the teachers can help. I think that in other area admissions are down to the own school's criteria - normally geographical closeness to the school. Except Brighton & Herts where there seems to be some bizarre lottery system in place!

I think the thing some of the schools opted out of recently was the SATS - which are the tests which determine the schools place in the league tables.
    xx
  • there are two fee paying independent schools where i live that require the 11plus.. there is a grammar schol, for which we are currently 1.5 miles out of the catchment area, which is free. again children would need to pass the 11 plus.

• Thanks ladies, yes I remember now it was the SATs that I was thinking of being boycotted.

Does anyone know how I find out if there are any grammer schools in my area?
  • google grammar schools in ... !! simplest way. then go to their website to see if they are fee paying or not.
  • http://schoolsfinder.direct.gov.uk/

You can put in your postcode and it will bring up a list of nearest schools - you can get their schol profile and ofsteds as well.