Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hypnotherapy or cbt?

Ok - i bit the bullet and after pretty much 10 months of a horrific reaccuring dream about my son i called the HV - she was lovely and suggested 2 routes - go to my gp and ask for CBT or maybe consider hypnotherapy.

What do you think is the best way to address this issue?

oh and the history is a reaoccuring dream where i am holding my son who has passed away and i am screaming till there is no air left in me (this happened when i lost the twins which is obvious to me is the route of the problem).

Also the thoughts in my head in the day - thinking something is going to happen if i am not there - MIL didnt answer the phone on Monday morning when i was at work and i got it into my head that my son had fallen down the stairs and hurt himself.

Seriously - i am nuts!

Anyway - any suggestions/advice would be fab x

Replies

• NOt mad at all honey. What sort of help do you think would suit you? Have you read much about either of these? Personally I feel that a long term talking therapy would suit me, but of course not everyone!

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care

This is a good place to start. Never heard of hypnotherapy for this sort of problem. Id be v cautious. FB me if you want to talk more xxx
  • I had CBT as I had PND and PTSD following my little lady's birth. I found the sessions to be really helpful and would recommend.

My counsellor recommended the BBC's Headroom site:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/headroom/

I also found this to be helpful and there is also info about the different methods that may help you.

All the best,

Em xx
  • Oh hun - I didn't realise you were struggling with this.

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and referred for CBT. I had the assessment this morning and should be starting the course in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes.

For me CBT was the way forward because my brain needs training to process anxiety and stress in a different way. I think hypnotherapy works if you're open to suggestion with things that you can control but not with things like this.
    They think my nightmares will stop once the anxiety is under control but I've also been referred for counselling to help deal with my traumatic birth issues.

You're not nuts at all and I know exactly what you mean about the thoughts in your head - I can't leave Mabel (I can count on one hand the number of times I've left her (only ever with DH or my Mum once) and it's only been for 1-2 hours or a pop to the shops except for Saturday when I left her for 4 hrs. Massive progress!) but I have the same thoughts if she's just upstairs in bed - like what if someone climbs in through the window and takes her.

I have been referred here on the NHS...

http://www.healthymindsbucks.nhs.uk/

... maybe there is something similar down your way?

Going to the GP was the best thing I did, but like you it's taken me months. Part of me was expecting him to say that it's normal to feel like this or that I should just pull myself together, but he didn't. He really listened and took me seriously. I wish I had gone sooner.

Maybe in another 8 months I'll have the courage to get my haemorrhoid sorted - but that's a whole other story!

Big hugs - you've got my number if you feel like a chat.

B xxxx