Forum home Babies Baby

Am I giving too much weetabix?

I had been giving DD half a weetabix for about three breakfasts a week. I have just recently increased that to a whole weetabix for about three breakfasts. I have just read in a mag that you shouldn't give too much fibre as it fills them up too quickly. Ways of doing this would be to do more white bread, pasta and rice than brown. And not to give weetabix and porridge oats too often. So am I now giving weetabix too much? And does ready brek count as oats? When I start giving dd this next week, all of her breakfasts will consist of either weetabix or readybrek!! I do fruit as well... Trying to do healthy breakfasts but can't seem to do right for wrong! Am intending on doing scrambled eggs for breakfasts at the weekends, can't stand the smell of eggs so dh is doing them! It's this fibre issue that's got me thinking!
Xx

Replies

• I always give my son (9 months) a half weetbix for breakfast every day, along with a piece of raisin or brown toast. He can be a big of a bugga sometimes with his weetbix so I have to team it with mushy fruit. I can say he is "regular" in the no. 2 department so it doesnt seem to affect him negatively in that way but maybe it's the balance with the fruit.
    He is then able to go through til lunch time (when he usually wakes from his 2hr morning nap anyway) without a snack but I know a lot of other babies have snacks mid morning. I dont have any issues with his weight gain so Im not concerned really about giving him this breakfast so often. I would be interested to hear what others have to say though.
  • The boys have 3 small weetabix (Tesco own) every day between them, mashed with banana. I give them that or porridge as cant do any other cereal as they cant have milk and theyre own milk is disgusting! Ive never had a problem. They also have brown bread sandwiches every day!!
  • Oh my god, Lyvi must be really greedy - she has 1 1/2 weetabix for breakfast and then yoghurt and fruit and sometimes toast too!!! And she's so tiny :lol: Breakfast is her favourite meal image

Lyvi eats well at lunch and dinner too so it doesn't seem to fill her up too much. I do use white bread for toast though for this reason and a mix of pasta.

NN x
  • Charlie has weetabix almost everyday (very occasionally just fruit and yoghurt). He always has two with 6-8oz of formula milk. Occasionally his Dad has given him three! Although I have said this is too much.

He never seems full up so I don't see the problem, he eats a good variety of other things too for lunch and tea. His fav is definately the weetabix though!
  • Lily went through a phase of having two Weetabix at home and then another one an hour later at nursery between the ages of about 10-14 months image It never caused us a problem although she never ate a huge lunch (although this in turn meant she was usually good and hungry for dinner!)
  • i don't think it's too much! Maddie is 23 mths and has 1-2 weetbix every morning, as well as either toast and/or fruit, a cup of water or milk and has 'morning tea' an hour later lol!! She's been doing this since 14 mths and before that it was 1 weetbix every day since 9 mths!! xx
  • hi there, g/c from toddler. I'm currently working with Wonder nanny at the moment due to my son's eating and thought i'd share something that she told me.

your baby's / toddlers stomach is the size of their own clenched fist - so actually very small!! My son is 3 this month and she said that 1 1/2 weetabix is ample for him!! and lo's don't know when they are full so will often continue to eat even they have had plenty.

just some food for thought!!!
  • My ds has up to 3 weetabix for breakfast (2 if I'm giving it to him and 3 if its daddy) and a piece of fruit but we alternate with shreddies and rice crispies, with eggs etc at the weekends too. My hubby always does him huge portions and he seems fine!! x
  • hi there, g/c from toddler. I'm currently working with Wonder nanny at the moment due to my son's eating and thought i'd share something that she told me.

your baby's / toddlers stomach is the size of their own clenched fist - so actually very small!! My son is 3 this month and she said that 1 1/2 weetabix is ample for him!! and lo's don't know when they are full so will often continue to eat even they have had plenty.

just some food for thought!!!

That's really interesting because I'd always read that they'd just eat and eat but Lyvi certainly lets you know when she doesn't want anymore and the amount she eats varies each day.

I'm not worried about over feeding her and just let her guide me and follow her lead.

NN x
  • Cool, think I will just stick with what we're doing then, she loves weetabix too much! Thanks for your replies xx
  • Alfie has 1 (asda's own so smaller) weetabix for breakfast everyday. and then usually has a bit of toast to munch on. He loves it and the only thing he happily eats. he even cries when it's all gone ha ha.
    I give my nearly 3 year old 2, he'll eat them and then ask for more and usually has a piece of toast too (he takes after his Daddy with his appetite)
  • Just read this on Annabel K's website:

"Weetabix is good but don't give too much as its quite high in fibre and too much fibre in your baby's diet is not good as it can mean that your baby doesn't absorb enough nutrients."