Forum home Babies Baby

Eco ball ladies - help please

I have been using my eco balls for a good few months now and so far they've been fine. I run white wine vinegar and soda crystals through with the wash every so often and am always careful not to overload it. I use a few drops of essential oil too, and wash at 30deg.

Lately when I open the washing machine door a really musty smell hits me, and the clothes smell slightly musty too whilst damp. When they're dry they're fine, though. I thought I was imagining it at first but today I noticed the smell as soon as I walked into the kitchen before the washing machine door was even open.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong or what I can do to get rid of the musty smell? Thank you.

Replies

• Hi,

I don't use eco-balls but i know that if you are always doing a low temp wash that the water temp isn't warm enough to kill the bacteria that can accumulate in your machine. I would run a higher temp wash every couple of weeks just to make sure that it gets a good clean out.

This happened to me when i wash washing at 40 degrees, so i decided to start washing towels at 60 and it seems to have stopped the smell.

hth!

Lx
  • Have you cleaned the filter? Also try a maintainance wash, with the machine empty, using a little bleach or some white vinegar on the hottest wash your machine does.

Also, when you've emtied the machine let it stand open to dry out with the door open rather than shutting the door immediately.

When you're not using surfactant and washing at low temps, the machine can sludge up a bit. Shutting the door when it;'s damp can make the damp door seal smell a bit manky.
  • About once a month I do an empty run with soda crystals and vinegar (more than usual wash) at the highest temp the machine can do. This cleans it properly!

Works best for us, as I had terrible mouldy smell issues before using eco balls. Now all s fab!
  • Maenad - oh and 2nd about not shutting the door! The machine needs to dry out :P
  • Thanks, knew I could rely on you lot!

I never do any washes higher than 40deg - literally don't think I ever have - so that sounds a good starting point!

Please don't laugh but it has NEVER occurred to me that my washing machine even has a filter. Will have a little look for that, then! Where am I likely to find it?
  • Please don't laugh but it has NEVER occurred to me that my washing machine even has a filter. Will have a little look for that, then! Where am I likely to find it?

:lol: I never knew that either! haha x
  • Re shutting the door - I always leave it wide open but a little someone is fond of shutting it (usually after putting magnetic letters/disposable nappies/remains of afternoon snack inside).

Whilst we're talking washing machines, anyone got any tips for removing the mould that's on the rubber rim?
  • Mine's a little square trapdoor at the bottom right front of the machine. If you google for the instruction manual for your machine (assuming you don't still have the paper copy) it should tell you whether you have an accessable filter.
  • I cleaned the seal on my old one with diluted bleach on a microfibre cloth. Running hot maintainance washes should stop it building back up again.
  • ...or a toothbrush image I cleaned mine when we moved into our flat with one and it worked a treat.
  • Good idea. Use your husband's if he has really pissed you off. Then put it back in the mug and don't tell him.
  • Good idea. Use your husband's if he has really pissed you off. Then put it back in the mug and don't tell him.

lol thats mean but funny,
  • :lol::lol:

I am dippy though and often forget whose toothbrush is whose, so that stunt would come back to bite me on the bum I expect!