Forum home Babies Baby

8 month old dropping naps?

Hi everyone, my 8 month old has just started to drop his afternoon nap which means he only has one nap a day. He sleeps 12 hours at night, he sometimes gets up for a guzzle of boob and then back to sleep, He gets up at 7am, and goes back for a 2 hour nap at 10am, sometimes he even sleeps 2 1/2 hours. So he's back up around 12.00, has lunch and then stays awake until 7pm bedtime!!! He used to go back for another 45 minute sleep around 3ish but the past few days he just won't go to sleep, he looks tired but isn't upset and overtired and then goes to sleep easily at bedtime. I thought 8 months is too young to drop to one nap a day. Does anyone know how much sleep they're meant to be getting at this age?

Replies

• I have no idea what they're meant to be getting but my LO (approaching 9 months) just had 1 nap earlier this week and that was for only 1 hour. He never has more than 2.5 hours sleep during the day but does manage 11 hours at night.

I think the books say it's more likely to be about the age of 1 when they drop to 1 nap per day but then, we've never been like the books say! At least you have a 2 hour stretch on a morning, we can have anything from 30 mins to 1 1/2 hours, we just never know.

Hope others can offer better advice xx
  • bump...any ideas?????
  • i think its about 2 hours in the day for naps usually split into 2, cant remember where i read it though

we have had days at nearly 9 months of not having an afternoon nap, i think its about 1 that they start to drop naps but really they are not far off that,
  • I believe it's 14 hours total in 24 hours. xx