Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010

Self soothing, sleep time

James used to self soothe to sleep right from birth and it was soooo great but since his cold he has become used to being rocked, having comfort boob, or being walked around to sleep. I pampered him because he couldnt breathe and was so miserable but now he is better im totally stuck. I have given him a dummy for a couple of naps now but he is still needing rocking too....how do I get him back to going to sleep on his own? its a nightmare!

xx

Replies

• I've just began not giving my LO her dummy, so she needs to go back to self settling too...
    What I'm going to do is just put her in her cot with her mobile on and leave the room... If she cries I'll leave her for 2 mins then go back in and stroke her head and give her a kiss and keep doing this until she's asleep.
    It'll probably take a few nights of doing this, but it'll be worth it in the long run!
    All the best.
    xxx
  • firsttime i could have written your post myself ! Im gutted as h was fab with sleeping - now he needs to be rocked to sleep daytime and night time if not he screams blue murder - sorry im no help but wanted you to know your not alone , ill be watching this thread xx
  • lil kim - I just replied in SammyHams post as it is practically the same as mine! controlled crying is not going to work with James as he gets absolutley hysterical if left to cry for a few minutes, he chokes and pours with sweat to the point I have to change him and wash his face and head! I tried it yesterday trying to get him back to taking naps without cuddling and rocking! I left him happy and within 5 mins he was crying, so I went in, stroked his head, made shushhing noises and left again...he went mental!!! I persisted for 15 mins before he was choking and I couldnt leave him! x
  • yep harrison gets like that too - he starts to hyper ventilate , i find he needs to reach hysteria before dropping off to sleep - im wondering if it could be their teeth xx
  • lil kim - I just replied in SammyHams post as it is practically the same as mine! controlled crying is not going to work with James as he gets absolutley hysterical if left to cry for a few minutes, he chokes and pours with sweat to the point I have to change him and wash his face and head! I tried it yesterday trying to get him back to taking naps without cuddling and rocking! I left him happy and within 5 mins he was crying, so I went in, stroked his head, made shushhing noises and left again...he went mental!!! I persisted for 15 mins before he was choking and I couldnt leave him! x

neve does this too!! then she smiles at me,the little minx!!xx
  • I cant do CC or cry-down either (they cry in their cots but you stand there with a hand on their back and head, talking calmly to them and having a good pair of ear plugs :lolimage in case of hysterical cries. Besides I'm too scared its a pain cry
  • William is great at going to sleep at night (usually only takes about 5-10 minutes to self-sooth with comforter blanket and music - occasionally needs dummy) and then sleeps for about 10 hours. However, during the day he is a complete nightmare and fights his sleep. Crying, wriggling, fighting when held, if left screams until sweating, red in the face and sounding very chesty. If I do manage to get him to sleep he'll only sleep for 30 minutes, so spends a lot of the day tired, and I feel he's missing out on playtime as he's either eating, sleeping or fighting the sleep.

Does anyone have any advice?

• I tried out making the room dark for nap times like it is at bedtime and I have got his naps to go between 15 and 30 mins longer. At the moment I am settling him with a dummy and stroking his head and as soon as he stops his energetic sleep fighting and relaxes I take the dummy away and keep stroking his head and he drops off. I will keep this up until he does it very easily and then hope to just stroke his head and then hopefully nothing! xx
  • Emily started to get used to being cuddled to sleep again so we have been using a lights and sounds show (Tomy star one) it works well. xx
  • Yes my winnie the pooh one is great but I had not thought of using it for daytime naps, I have only used it so far when I want him to go back to sleep in the morning x
  • After everything I have been trying all last week and the pacing around with James crying I dont even know why I did it but today he was grizzling so I picked him up took him up to his cot and walked out the room - and now I cant hear a thing on the baby monitor so he must have just gone to sleep! haha, Fingers crossed he has finally got the idea! x