Forum home Babies Baby

Part-time?

Hi, I would like some advice please!

I'm currently on maternity leave & am thinking of returning to work Feb/March next year. I work full time, Monday-Friday, but am considering dropping a day.

I have already discussed with my manager re. initially going back 'full-time', but for a month or 2 & using holidays to take 1 or 2 days off per week. I think this way it will ease me back into work and my daughter into nursery, whilst also having the opportunity to try out part-time hours. I am thinking of this already, as the earlier I can mention it to my manager perhaps the greater the chance of my request being granted (especially with working in the NHS & all the problems that seem to be currently looming).

So I am looking for your advice or experiences of going from full to part-time... if I were to drop a day, which day would be best & why?

I have been given conflicting advice from friends already, such as: Drop the Monday or Friday, so I could have long weekends OR drop the Wednesday, so as to break the week up. What's best?!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,

Anna.

(Also in Working Mums)

Replies

• it all depends on you,what day would suit you better,when i wanted to go back part time to work after ds1,they gave me no option,they told me the days i would be working and that was finale
  • drop the monday as a lot of bank holidays fall on these, you won't loose these in effect you sort of gain extra days if that makes sense!!
  • Hi, I am going back to work in 2 weeks. I was full time, but I have dropped two days. My bosses have asked specifically for me to come in fridays, so I chose to go in tuesday and wednesday too. That way every week I get a long weekend every week! Moonbean is right too!!
  • I'm dropping monday but that's because I have deadlines on fridays so whilst they'd let me take it off I know I'd end up working at home. I like the idea of long weekends so suits me fine, also working at home tuesday so only in office 3 days which I can manage!
  • Randomly I've ended up with Tuesdays off as didn't get a place at the nursery for Tuesdays but the time I went back to work but I really like it. I have weekend then one day at work to catch up, day off then a 3 day week! It also fits really well with the local mums and baby things where I live which are also on Tuesdays. I would reccomend finding out when things like this are on in your area to see which day would be best!