Forum home Babies Baby

Not really sure what to call this

Hello Ladies,

I am gatecrashing and have had a long period of absence from BE.

Husband and I have decided to start TTC early next year. In the meantime we are renovating the house and want to start planning the nursery. So a question for all you experienced mummies:
I want to get a comfy chair to breastfeed in, (potentially fall asleep in), relax with the baby in etc What would you reccomend as suitable? Also any advice on what to put in, what not to put in a nursery? What is useful? What is totally useless?

Any other advice on any aspect of TTC, pregnancy, parenthood etc would also be gratefully received.

PP X

Replies

• Its a bit of a struggle, but I would buy an uncomfortable chair!! Its a bit dangerous to fall asleep with baby in your arms.

Em x
  • Oh no - no plans to fall asleep with the baby. I might suffocate it! I was thinking, I hear lots of people saying their babies won't settle unless they are in the room and I wondered if I might have to nap there for a bit.

• welcome back. i would say dont hurry with the nursery. dd is 6 months old next week and still hasnt slept in hers!!!

we have used her changing table every day.
    we used our baby bath every night until recently as she's just outgrown it. she's not a small baby either, so she got her wear out of it.
    we have needed plenty of plastic boxes with lids for the piles of clothes that she outgrew rapidly to go in the loft.
    put a clock in there that ticks. apparently this has been suggested as a way to help reduce the chances of cot death. it's not proven, but couldnt hurt. also handy for seeing how long you are feeding for.
    a breastfeeding pillow is a must for early days. gives you a spare hand. i never had a feeding chair, though. during the day i fed her whereever i was and at night bring her in to bed. she is still ebf.
    she loves her whinny the pooh mobile above her big girl cot, which i put her in when she's changed and i go to wash my hands / toilet etc.
    we got a space saver cot from kiddicare for our room, which she is still in, for after she outgrew her moses basket.
    me and my hubby also plan to ttc early next year so might see you in ttc.
  • Thanks Calleigh. Lots of advice- I didn't even know there was such a thing as a spacesaver cot. I will be looking at one of those!
  • i wouldnt worry so much about a baby bath, i put my baby in a bath seat in our big bath with her older brother and that works for me. when they outgrow them they are just one more thing to cause clutter! my dd has just moved into her room at 4months so like calleigh said, dont worry so much about the nursery... i did start putting her up in her room for daytime naps from about 5weeks old though to get her used to it, i wanted her to feel comfortable in her surroundings before spending the night in there...

if you can borrow a moses basket/crib then do that, they outgrow them sooooo quick that they are also a waste of money (my mum gave me the crib she used for me and my brother when we were babies and i just bought new bedding for it, it really is a better way to do it, you have more money to spend on the things you need that way).xx
  • Ah ok! Not sure about chairs as such but I put a huge duvet on my chair so I could wrap it round us in the night!! Bliss!
  • completely disagree about the moses basket comment, sophie!!! we actually had2!! one in our bedroom and one downstairs. she slept dowstairs int he early days as she slept so often!!! but we got them free as hubby sells them. there is one for ??20 which is very popular. so totally worth it i think as she slept in there for 3-4 months.
  • I have a normal comfy chair, similar to a poang from ikea to feed but I only use it before bed, the rest of the time I feed on the sofa or in bed.
    Sorry calleigh but I'm with sophie on the moses basket, ds outgrew his after about 8 weeks and he's tall but no giant. We borrowed one and next time I'm putting lo straight in its cot in our room. During the day he napped in his pram carrycot downstairs, but that did double as moses basket, not sure all do.
    We got cheap ikea change table and used for again about 10-12 weeks before lo got wriggly. Now its used to store stuff and is very useful, not essential but glad we got it.

I had a bf pillow but unlike calleigh who has a lovely figure, I have a big huge mummy tummy which did the same job so I never used it but it was cheap (see a theme here) from dunelm mill and now supports lo when he's sitting up so has come in handy.

Best of luck ttc!
  • In terms of the nursery although my dd has only just moved into hers (at 8 months) I'm really glad we got it all sorted before she arrived, as dust, painting and the general mess of it all would have been too much with a small baby in the house. I'd say don't go crazy with baby themed stuff as they are babies for such a short time and you probably won't want to be redecorating again in the near future. We went for magnolia (boring - I know!) on the walls with a cream carpet (waiting to see how sensible that was!) and plain wood furniture. Make sure you get a proper sized wardrobe and drawers, not the ones sold as nursery furniture as again you'll want to keep on using it and whenever anything is sold as for baby (much as with weddings) it seems to triple in price. Don't bother with cot bedding sets with fancy duvets and stuff as they can't have a duvet until 12 months and sleeping bags are fabulous on their own. In terms of nursing chairs I have a cheap poang from Ikea and it's fine. It was quite cheap, it's comfy and if we choose to have a different colour in her room we can just buy new cushions for it. To be honest I didn't use it much to begin with as I just fed her wherever I was; usually on the sofa or in bed. I'm afraid I also found moses baskets useless as my dd wouldn't sleep in one. Luckily we had borrowed two so it wasn't too bad and we just used her carrycot from the pram to begin with then put her into her big girl cot quite early. Her cot is fantastic. It's a cosatto close to me bedside cot and you can drop one side completely, line it up with the height of your mattress and hey presto you have safe (semi) co-sleeping - very handy for night-time feeds (especially if you are lazy like me and don't want to get out of bed throughout the night). We also used the big bath with a bath support and found that worked really well, but if you have any back problems a baby bath might be a good idea. In terms of changing nappies, we used a changing mat on top of her chest of drawers in her room when upstairs and a changing mat on the floor downstairs.
    The one thing which I am happiest that we chose though, and what I would always recommend is bumgenius washable nappies - we went with disposibles for the first month or so and then changed to cloth. They're fab!

All the best with the TTC
    mrs_ed and Tess (9 months)
  • we used our moses a lot too, and was good when going to rellies houses, so LO could sleep in her familiar environment. She was little though, so maybe not a good buy for everyone!

I wish id bought one of those BF support cushions, i will for the next oneimage

• 1. Sorry calleigh but I'm with sophie on the moses basket, ds outgrew his after about 8 weeks and he's tall but no giant. We borrowed one and next time I'm putting lo straight in its cot in our room.
    2. During the day he napped in his pram carrycot downstairs, but that did double as moses basket, not sure all do.
    3. I had a bf pillow but unlike calleigh who has a lovely figure, I have a big huge mummy tummy which did the same job so I never used it but it was cheap (see a theme here) from dunelm mill and
    4. now supports lo when he's sitting up so has come in handy.

1. well, dd is 91st centile for length dont cha know! image
    2. our carrycot wasnt suitable for sleeping so i always took her out of her pram and transferred her to her basket.
    3. thank you ;\) hubby says i look pregnant after meals as i seem to bloat!!!
    4. yes, we use ours for dd too! very handy. she loves sitting up but cant for long periods yet so this is ace.
  • I would buy an uncomfortable chair!! Its a bit dangerous to fall asleep with baby in your arms.

Can't agree! Buy a really decent chair if you plan on bf, as if you're anything like me and have two babies who wake for feeding several times a night you'll get your money's worth. Our nursing chair and foot stool cost more than the rest of the nursery put together and I don't regret it one bit. It's a Dutailier one from John Lewis.

I have fallen asleep holding my babies several times. If you buy a chair with decent arms it's perfectly possible to do this safely.

Good luck TTC!