Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Standing in cot - sleep

I have been doing gradual withdrawal to get my son off to sleep with him self settling (after moving on from pupd a few months ago). I started in the rocker next to his cot, then moved the rocker away from the cot (but where he could still see me) and Im now sat on the floor by the door at the end of the cot (where he cant see me but still knows Im there). But he keeps standing up, peering over the end of the cot to check Im still there and is taking much longer to settle! I was at the stage where I wanted to move on to walking straight out of the room after putting him in his cot but he has mastered standing unaided for long periods the past few days so it seems he is now practicing this in his cot when he is put down to go to sleep so Im ending up back in the rocker where he can see me to try stop him from getting up (not really working though :lol: ). As always I expect this is just another phase but Im just seeking clarification from others!! Should I just wait for him to move on from this practice before trying to move to walking straight out the room? I have visions though that he will start practicing walking around the cot soon!! Please tell me they dont practice that in there too?! :roll:

Replies

• we have had the standing for a few weeks but now LO finds it funny now, we did a sort of gradual but it was a long time ago, maybe keep with the plan as to not go backwards and see how it goes,
  • we have had the standing for a few weeks but now LO finds it funny now, we did a sort of gradual but it was a long time ago, maybe keep with the plan as to not go backwards and see how it goes,
  • i put my son in his cot, give him his bottle and leave him to it. he has toys in his cot to play with if he doesnt go off straight away.
    If i was still in the room he would just want me to get him out or play or something!
    He can cry or play but he goes off after 5 mins everytime.
    How old is your LO? why do you feel the need to be in the room? just curious
    xx
  • Im still in the room because I guess the "gradual" part of the withdrawal method has been drawn out! Partly because I was enjoying observing him (in the wardrobe mirrors opposite his cot :roll: ) but also because Ive been waiting for my hubby to catch up (he puts him to bed at night and I do all the day naps). But I know it is well and truly time to make that break and leave the room straight up. Though now, there is the standing practice!

I also think it's probably best to bite the bullet and do it and I tried this again this morning (also did it yesterday) and it took half an hour to get him settled (usually it only takes 5 mins with me sat in the room). And then he woke after 20 mins and I had to go back and rock him to sleep cos he wanted to play imageops: (usually will sleep 2hrs unaided).

He has toys to cuddle in his cot and would go off before just playing with them (sometimes falling asleep slumped over them and Id have to lie him down!), it's just now this standing up trying to find me is distracting him. I will persevere though, what the key thing Ive learnt from sleep training is that it doesnt happen in an instant! I just expected this last step to be more seemless.
  • hopefully it will come with time x