Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010

How long does postnatal bleeding last?

When my midwife visited and signed us off on day 10, she said it should be getting towards a discharge-y stage. Now I'm on day 17 and its still medium-flow red blood. Should I be concerned?

Replies

• i bled for weeks!
  • Both mw and doctor told me that still having red blood for quite a while was normal. Mine stopped (I hope lol..its been stop-start for ages) at about 5 weeks.

don't worry
  • I only stopped using a pad on monday which was day 28. It was very on and off depending on how active I'd been. I wouldn't worry but if you are contact the midwife and get them to come back out to examine you - they may have signed you off but you come under their remit for 28 days from birth. xx
  • I stopped Sunday MrO is 17days today... I get some spotting during the day depending on what i have been doing. With my 1st DS i stopped bleeding quiet fast also....

gems&mrO x
  • GC - I stopped bleeding at 6 weeks, felt like it lasted forever!x
  • I stopped bleeing 'lots' at the beginning of last week but it has been on and off since then. Its not nice as I feel it running out (sorry if TMI) when I stand up! I hope it stops soon. x
  • 6 weeks for me.Thought it stopped about week 4 but then came back again although think this could've been a period. Back on the pill now so hopefully normality will resume!!!! xx