Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010

stolen from DIM

Due Date/Actual Date:
6th Nov - born 25th Oct!

Did you go into labour naturally?
Yes, waters broke after eating spicy dinner at 2am! Contractions started at 3am and painful at 5am.

How was labour?
Wonderful! I didnt have bad pains till 5am. I was checked at 4am and was 2-3cm (by a lady off one born every minute too :P) I progressed to 5cm at 7am and went for my water birth upstairs in the midwife lead unit. This was wonderful, private room with a huge pool. Hubby was amazing. Pool was ok... made my contractions speed up and get more intense but I needed to stand so I got out and then went form 7cm to 10cm in an hour, this was the painful part for me. I think I begged for pain relief and I got 2 puffs of G&A.

Baby's arrival:
As soon as I had my two puffs I wanted to push and screamed at my MW that I was going to. She said not to but then checked me and said she didnt even need to as she saw baby's head!!! I pushed for about 20 minutes, it felt like a giant poo lol. She came out perfect at 10:20am. I held her on my breasts till they took her to clean her up, this was about an hour.

Afterwards:
I got cleaned up as did Imogen, hubby got cuddles image I had my injection and placenta came out, I actually spent about 5 mins checking it ou lol, random but I was intrigued! We spent 3 hrs in the room till my mum arrived at 1pm (she drove 600 miles from scotland when my waters broke). We then ahd lunch and I was moved to ward. Went home at 5pm after successful bf-ing.

Name:
Imogen Charlotte. Imogen was picked after reading some Shakespeare when I got my BFP!! Charlotte as its my sisters name.

At home:
We got home and it was lovely, some of my siblings had arrived and we all just sat and watched her! I had a lovely bath and slept a lot. She was perfect and nothing couldnt have been better.
I got an infection 2 weeks later (bummer) and was on antib's for a week. Rubbish.
Bf-ing is amazing, love her to bits!
xxx

[Modified by: rosemary20 on 08 December 2010 13:21:20 ]

Replies

• Due Date/Actual Date:
    1st nov - 24th oct

Yes, lost my mucus plug at 3am on 24th oct

How was labour?
    excellent, had twinges in the morning, went from contractins being 15 mins apart to 5 mins apart in about 3 hrs at 2pm went to the hosp, had baby 20 mins later, no pain relief was the same with my DD had her within 30mins of arriving, gave birth stood up holding DH's hands, gave birth in midwife led unit.

Baby's arrival:
    midwife checked me when i got to hosp, she siad i was fully dialated but babys head was high up and waters had not broke, i stood up, DH went to the toilet and i suddenly felt the urge to push, my waters broke, DH ran for the midwife, i moved over to the bed and was stood up at side of bed with DH on the other side, had no pain relief and gave birth a few mins later!

Afterwards:
    I had skin to skin for about an hour, placenta was delivered 8 mins after birth, had 2nd degree tear so midwife stitched me up and then left us to it for a couple of hours. Gave birth in midwife led unit so was able to stay in private room with baby and hubby overnight.

Name:
    Amelia Lilly

At home:
    Came home the next day, my mum brought round our DD who is only 22mths old she ran to the baby and said 'aww shes gorgeous'
    Saw both sets of parents that day, then the rest of family over the next few days x

• Due Date/Actual Date:
    11th Nov - Born 19th Oct

yes, waters broke at 10am on my first morning of Maternity leave and was admitted to maternity unit.

How was labour?
    Amazing. Was told I would be induced at 10am the following day due to waters going early, but woke at 3am with mild pain like period pain and was given paracetamol and went back to sleep. By 6am the pain was still mild but coming in waves 5 mins apart and lasting 20 seconds. Was examined and told my cervix had not changed and I wasnt in labour. At 7am the pain had intensified and I said i needed to push, was told by the student midwife that I cant as I wasnt in labour, I shouted that I cant stop it and the midwife came into the room and said "oh shit dont push" put me in a wheelchair and took me down to delivery suite. I had gone from 0-10 cm in 1 hour.

Baby's arrival:
    Arrived in delivery suite, Dh got there 10 mins later. Had a few puffs of gas & air (fantastic stuff) and after 5 pushes Oliver was born. 5lb5oz. Had skin to skin cuddles.

Afterwards:
    Hubby had cuddles while I got stitched (episiotomy) then had a shower. Phoned both sets of parents and texted friends. He took a while to latch on as he seemed sleepy but once he got the hang of it he was fine.
    Arrived back on ward early afternoon and was visited by both sets of grandparents.

Name:
    Oliver James. The only boy name we half agreed on haha!!

At home:
    Dischraged home the following day. Had lots of visitors and so many gifts, cant believe how lucky we all are.
    Oliver bf every hour and half for first 5 weeks but now goes 2 hours during day and 3 at night. He is putting on weight well, seems much more alert over the past week and has given us some big smiles.
    We are totally besotted
    xxx

[Modified by: rosemary20 on 08 December 2010 13:21:20 ]
  • Due Date/Actual Date:
    28th Oct (was nov before scan) - born 21st Oct

No Elective Section due to being Breech - gutted

How was labour?
    No Labour for me :cry:
    In theatre Spinal Block went too far up & had trouble breathing, BP crashed as did Blood Sugar (had Gest. Diabetes) causing me to be light headed & throw up whilst still on the table - Nice!

Baby's arrival:
    Born at 11.35am weighing 8lb 2oz all happened very quickly.

Afterwards:
    After an initial whimper he did not cry properly for a few mins which was a bit worrying. Hubby went to nursery almost immediately after the Apgar etc. I did not get to hold him or look at him properly for ages which was awful. Cause my Blood Sugar & BP was very low & I didnt feel great, I was in recovery for longer than usual & for what i thought was until 3pm but ive photos with time on which say 1.30pm & it was back in the ward???? I was by that time spaced out on morphine though!!

Name:
    Luke Ethan H.

At home:
    After horrendous pain late on day 2 & day 3 I was dischraged on day 4 recovery wise have not looked back, healed quickly & back behind the wheel after 4 weeks, would have been sooner had i known i was covered by my insurers! Luke has been spoiled rotten soooo many gifts, we have such generous family & friends totally surprised as he is our 4th & didnt expect very much, especially in these times. Just wish people would visit him more, all he sees is us & my parents :cry:

• Due Date/Actual Date:
    21st Nov - born 18th nov

Yes, waters went at 8.30 am on the 17th, contractions started at 11pm

How was labour?
    Pretty easy, contractions started at 11pm, were regular by 2am, went to hospital at 2.30am. Asked for g&a at 4am as contractions starting to get painful, but told they didnt think i was in established labour yet as i was too calm. After making a fuss they examined me at 5am and I was 6cm, Adam was out 45 mins later

Baby's arrival:
    Was taken from the midwife led unit to the DU for delivery as i had had a PPH with my 1st baby. Just after getting there i lay down and started to push and 10 mins later he was out. Was so fast he came straight out without crowning and i barely even felt him descend. Came out very alert and screaming and was put straight onto me while daddy cut the cord.

Afterwards:
    We were left in the room for around 4 hours while they did my notes and decided which postnatal ward i was going to. Given tea and toast and had a shower before being taken to the midwife led unit postnatal bay which only had 5 beds. They were monitoring Adams temp as me waters had gone the previous morning and decided to keep me in overnight so i wasnt dicharged till 9am the following morning. Daddy brought my little girl in to meet her baby brother during the afternoon, then brought her in the next morning to take me and baby home.

Name:
    Adam - only boys name we agreed on

At home:
    Just took him straight home and had a day in just the 4 of us to allow my little girl to get used to her baby brother, and since then she has been an angel with him!
  • Due Date/Actual Date:
    Saturday 13th November/Friday 19th November

Yes, after a couple of days of using clary sage oil.

How was labour?
    Rubbish. Still feel too traumatised by it to write a BS. Ordering a complete copy of my notes from the hospital to try to come to terms with some of it.

Baby's arrival:
    3.46pm by episiotomy and ventouse due to cord being around his neck. I was strangling him as I was trying to push him out.

Afterwards:
    Lots of stitches. Daddy had cuddles as I was too shakey to hold him safely. 6 days in hospital on bili lights for jaundice.

Name: Cohen Issac. (No, we're not Jewish.) Preferred 'Coen' but its a Dutch name pronounce Coon. As he's a mixed race baby, we didn;t really want to take the risk of future playground jibes. Issac after his paternal grandfather. I prefer the spelling Isaac, but I guess you can't choose when its a family name!

At home: Bit of an anti-climax, I imagined a lovely homecoming but as I ended up discharging myself from the hospital I spent most of the night feeling guilty. Lots of visits from family and friends over the following two weeks. Now Cohen's stuff has taken over the house... making our house a home xx
  • you know what LSG I think your last sentence sums it all up really doesnt it?

makes a house a home. I feel a bit teery reading you write that, xxx
  • Due Date/Actual Date:
    5th Nov/13th Nov

not entirely sure, went in for check up as thought waters were leaking, after internal, started getting contractions.....then had crazy 4 days in hospital before he was born

How was labour?
    Rubbish. I also am too traumatised to write a BS, and havn't quite come to terms with it. after 4 days of stop/start labour (baby was b2b), no sleep, various drugs, and an induction that didn't work, i finally had an emergency section after 70 hours.

Baby's arrival:
    emergency section at 11.09. i have vague memories of him being born and the following 24-48 hours image

Afterwards:
    finally got skin to skin contact after an hour, started off b-feeding successfully, however my milk never came, think my body had been through enough (also had to have blood transfusion), so was a bit gutted, although at least he got the colostrum

Name: Samuel Marc - dad is called Marc, Samuel - i work with children and it was one of the few names that didnt remind me of a child i work with!

At home: had to stay in hospital 4 more days, was desperate to get home as had such horrible time there, but when i got home i just kept crying worrying i would have to go back to hospital image

overall i am so happy with my little man and so grateful he is healthy and safe, however my whole birth experience has shook me up as nothing at all went to plan or was close to what i was expecting, and the thought of having another baby terrifies me.

xx
  • Due Date/Actual Date:
    Thursday 25th Nov - Tuesday 30th November

No, waters broke on Sunday 28th and we were induced on Monday 29th November.

How was labour?
    Amazing. Although I was induced, I had an epidural but ended up having a forcep delivery as he failed to progress in the second stage and I lost quite a lot of blood the staff at the hospital in the labour ward were brilliant and we couldn't have asked for anything more.

Baby's arrival:
    6:02am by forcep delivery after manual turn failed.

Afterwards:
    I had stitches, was in the high dependency unit most of the day (FAO Rosemary - I also had the sister from One Born Every Minute popping in every now and again!) he was born and wasn't able to dress him or put his first nappy on and this really upset me. He wasn't even put on me for skin to skin for ages and I think this is what hindered the breast feeding initially.

Name:
    Jacob James Cameron N***** : we could only decide on Jacob, it was a name I really liked, James is OH middle name and my brother's middle name and Cameron is a family name (on my side).

At home:
    Was lovely to arrive home to a snowy landscape and it was lovely and warm at home and we put up the Christmas tree and we are surrounded by baby stuff which I love image

[Modified by: muppet29 on December 08, 2010 11:04 PM]

• Due Date/Actual Date:
    17th November/16th November

Yes waters broke on 15th November

How was labour?
    Long, spent 45 hours in labour, only got to 5 cms and baby was in distress so had to have C section. Was intending to have a home birth!

Baby's arrival:
    At 9.54pm on 16th Nov by emergency c section, The Florence album was playing and the staff were fab.

Afterwards:
    Got to hold and feed our little girl very quickly, hubby got to trim the cord and we spent time in recovery bonding with her before I was taken to the ward.

Name
    Emily Renee May, all family names and May beacuse we got engaged in May and then married the following May.

At home
    We came home two days after, family were waiting for us and we had lots of visitors, it was perfect xx
  • Oooh good thread:-
    Due date/actual date
    due 29th November
    Arrived 15th November

Natural start of labour?
    Yes, waters broke 10pm Saturday 13th November, had a sweep, established labour 11pm Sunday 14th.

How was labour?
    Good experience, not really painful until they hooked me up to a drip at about 11pm. Everything all happened quite quickly after that. Didn't get the water birth I wanted because of the delay between waters breaking and established labour but I was happy that I needed nothing more than TENS and gas and air.

After?
    We had a couple of hours of family time in the delivery room, I had a bath (and nearly passed out from blood loss!) Iz was dressed and we had cuddles. I got moved to the ward and hubby had to go home. We had some hours just us before hubby came back and we were discharged at 6.30 pm.

Name?
    Izzy Alexandra, picked by hubby, we both fell in love with it, no meaning or family connection x

At home?
    My parents, sister and BIL were waiting for us (mum was doing my ironing yay!!) They stayed for an hour and left us to it. B-ing was hard, we ended up back in hospital because Iz was not feeding properly but we are all good now and after our really long ttc journey we feel the luckiest people in the world to have her xxx
  • Due date/actual date
    Due 5th November
    Arrived 18th November (my 30th birthday!)

Natural start of labour?
    No. I went in to be induced 13 days late.

How was labour?
    Interesting lol. I had my waters broken as I was 3cm dilated (they didn't bother with the gel or drip). First MW couldn't break them so sent for senior MW who broke them and then she thought baby was breech. Sent for scanner and he was! It all happened very quickly as they could feel my cervix dilating and I wanted to push. They took me to theatre, had a spinal block (while having very painful contractions) and they got Jacob out in 6 minutes.

After?
    I had Jacob at teatime, was sent to recovery for about half an hour then allowed onto the ward with all the other c-section mummies. Hubby stayed until 10pm then went home to Lily. MWs came and dressed/washed me for bed at midnight. I came home two days later. They were not keen on it but they needed the beds (very busy) and they knew how much I hated being there. It was painful at first, have an infection now but I do feel better as each day passes.

Name?
    Jacob William

At home?
    My mum and dad were here looking after Lily. We had the next day to ourselves. Haven't had many visitors because of the snow ( we were snowed in) but now it's melting people are texting to 'book' a visiting slot lol.
  • Due Date/Actual Date:

Due on 14th Nov
    Arrived 9th Nov

Nope no labour at all for me. Totally gutted about it at the time, but have made my peace with it now.

How was labour?

I went into hospital at 7:30 am, was checked in and went straight down to theatre. See by the docs and the had the spinal anaesthetic which I was rdeading but was absolutely fine - weird but fine. Unfortunately the diamorphine they put in the spinal made me sick - and believe me the last thing you want to be doing if someone is messing about in your insides with a knife is throwing up and giving them a moving target - horrible!

Baby's arrival:

Jack was born at 09:31 - just 2 hours after we arrived at the hospital and he cried straight away which made me burst into tears! Hubby got to trim the cord and have a cuddle and I was able to watch and see the moment that he fell totally in love with his son. Just magical.

Afterwards:

I was able to have skin to skin straight away in the recovery room which was fab. Jack latched on straight away and was just so alert and amazing. He also had fantastic neck control straight away - he's never had that wobbly newborn head, he's constantly looking around and being nosy!

Name

Jack Christopher William B*****. Jack is a name we love, Chistopher is my Dad's name and William is hubby's Dad's name. We actually decided on the name nearly eleven years ago when hubby and I first started out. We always said if we had a son, that would be his name and we never changed our mind about it!

At home

We had a bit of a nightmare - our central heating broke down the day we came home from hospital and my Mum had to go out and buy an electric radiator to have on in our bedroom so Jack didn't freeze on his first night at home! Luckily it was fixed the next day without too much trouble or expense but it was stress I just didn't need! Other than that, we had my Mum staying with us - she was a total godsend when Jack screamed solidly all night the first night and she took him downstairs for a couple of hours so we could get some sleep. Since then things have just got better and better. I love being a Mum so much and Jack is just amazing xxx As LSG says, he has made our house a home xxx