Forum home Babies Baby

Sleeping positions

Right please don't shout at me I already know the pros and cons of putting a baby down on their tummy so please no lectures but she loves sleeping on her tummy. She sleeps on her front on me I put her in the cot on her back and she wakes up but if I put her on a pillow on her front sparko. She is quite happy on her back at night it seems to just be the day. Does anyone else's lo's sleep on their front? I am obviously nervous about leaving her but she does always have her head to the side and she can lift her head herself although she is only 4weeks x

Replies

• On her front on a PILLOW?

Fine, I won't shout. I'll just shake my head in disbelief at your stupidity.
  • I have a few friends whose babies sleep loads better on their fronts...I think you have to do what is right for you...I would however take the pillow away...it is a real suffocating hazard sweetheart x x x x
  • I wouldn't let her sleep on her front hun, there are very good reasons that they suggest you don't. Although she may like it and sleep better, she is 4 weeks old and will learn soon enough to sleep on her back if that is how you put her down. At the end of the day some sleepless nights on your part because your baby doesn't like it is preferable to the prospect of your daughter suffering SIDS.
  • i agree with Morello chick, she's young enough to learn to sleep on her back and, as you say, she sleeps well on her back at night. I personally wouldnt risk it x
  • My ds slept on his back until 4 months with a cot wedge under the mattress (or moses basket raised on argos catalogues when a newborn) to help ease his discomfort (colic and reflux). One night I had to leave him for 5 mins when he wouldnt settle so turned him onto his tummy, and he actually calmed down - from then on he slept on his tummy, I was so nervous at first, but he was actually starting to roll and have greater control over his body so I felt more comfortable doing it then. I would never have entertained the idea at 4 weeks and never put him down on his front unless we had the massive battles trying to settle him day or night.

Your dd is still only little - enjoy the sleepy cuddles while you can, you'll miss them when she prefers her cot over her mummy for naps. If you do put her down on her tummy in the day I'd really get rid of the pillow though, its too risky.
  • i think 4 weeks is very young to be putting a baby to sleep on their tummy, esp on a pillow. do you swaddle hun?
  • Thank you for the polite and constructive reply Maenad! Perhaps what wsn't clear in my post was that when I said "obviously nervous about leaving her" it meant I had not left her but sat next to her. So thanks for making me feel sh1t. Anyway back to the constructive replies, at night she is always on her back and swadled just dont get why she hates it so much during the day. I know years ago the advice was on their front incase they are`sick and choke. I have always been a tummy sleeper since baby. Also to clarify pillow was not the best description, It is a very thin firm cushion like thing. I do not want any easy way out for me. I was just curious since she likes to be on her side or front so much.
  • alot of babies do prefer their fronts. If you are with her when she is like it i cant really see the harm as long as you are keeping an eye on her. Still she is so young you could probably, with a little encouragement, teach her to sleep on her back in the day too. xx
  • I dont leave her alone and never at night. I only put her on the cushion because I wanred her in sight and did,t want to put her on the floor.
  • Thank you junie mummy that is really helpful. Glad there are still some people who can offer sensible advise in here rather than just judge and upset people. I am still trying to get her on her back and will obviously persist with it. I only posted because I know the risks and wanted some advice. x
  • If you want patting on the head and telling you're a clever little thing, regardless of whether you are risking suffocating your baby, state it explicitly.

If you want an honest reaction to what is an utterly foolhardy risk to take with such a young baby, you got one. You want to carry on doing it, go ahead. Your life, your choices, your tragedy if your baby is smothered to death. I'm not going to piss about being syncophantic and twee when you are risking a baby's safety.
  • I agree with some other girls and try to persist laying her down on her back. And definitely remove the "pillow" or cushion. It may take a few days of a bit of a nightmare time going back and forth, picking her up and shushing her, but the fact she sleeps on her back at night shows that she already knows how to do it!

I know you have the best of intentions saying you won't leave her but you won't be able to stay at her side forever as she sleeps so it's only a temporary solution. It's just not feasible for you to do that everyday without going a bit mad and not getting anything done (or even getting a nap in yourself!).

Hope you manage to teach her to sleep on her back during the day xxx
  • Firstly its such a shame some people haven't p****d of to other sites! I think some people who forget that many people on here are first time mum who are lookif for advise and guidance, not a load of abuse thrown at them! I'm pretty sure most of the ladies on here would never put their babies at risk knowingly! Let's just hope some of the insensitive comments thrown around doesn't tip some mum over the edge contributing to factors such as PND! My personal opinion is if you don't have anything constructive to say don't say it!

Hi socks!

My LO was exactly the same, slept so much better on her front or side during the day but was fine on her back at night, I did persevere for weeks at leaving Harbin her front and eventually did learn to self settle! At about 8 weeks the problem changed and she would sleep on her back at night, I took advice from my HV and she now does sleep on her side with a special wedge! I do honestly believe she will sleep on her front as soon as she can roll!

I would remove the pillow and preservere with the sleeping on the back and failing that take advice from your HV, I'm sure tour doing an amazing job with your LO, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Becky

Xxxp
  • Firstly its such a shame some people haven't p****d of to other sites! I think some people who forget that many people on here are first time mum who are lookif for advise and guidance, not a load of abuse thrown at them! I'm pretty sure most of the ladies on here would never put their babies at risk knowingly! Let's just hope some of the insensitive comments thrown around doesn't tip some mum over the edge contributing to factors such as PND! My personal opinion is if you don't have anything constructive to say don't say it!

Hi socks!

My LO was exactly the same, slept so much better on her front or side during the day but was fine on her back at night, I did persevere for weeks at leaving Harbin her front and eventually did learn to self settle! At about 8 weeks the problem changed and she would sleep on her back at night, I took advice from my HV and she now does sleep on her side with a special wedge! I do honestly believe she will sleep on her front as soon as she can roll!

I would remove the pillow and preservere with the sleeping on the back and failing that take advice from your HV, I'm sure tour doing an amazing job with your LO, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Becky

Xxxp
  • Ok so I specifically said I didn't want this to turn into a row or a debate. I never asked for a "pat on the head" if you can't learn to respond to threads in an adult and respectful manner then please just go away.

Beckyandeve thanks for your response where did you get this "wedge" from? I am going to speak to HV. It is not for long periods but I don't like to drink hot drinks over her in case I spill it. I figure it is more sensible to settle her next to me so I can have the drink and then when I want to move about she is quite happy in the sling anyway. I will speak to HV on Thursday see if she has anyother suggestions. How long do you think it will be before she is turning herself over?
  • Hi!

We got our wedge from mothercare, my LO alwYs sleeps on her side at night now as it's just the way he prefers, if she sleeps on me she's also normally on her side/ front! It's only when she in the room alone she goes on her back!

We have to remember what we are advised are only recommendations, and yes I agree there is research done but all babies are different! I personally think it's safer to let her sleep on her front when you are there then drinking over her!

You are always going to get differences of opinion on wether it's sleeping, weaning etc, all I can say is all babies are different and sometimesthe recommendations don't work for all babies!

Becky

Xxx
  • Fantastic thank you very much I will have a look. She got some mother care vouchers so I might spend them!!
  • Hello lovely image

O wouldn't sleep anywhere but on us day or night for the first 12 weeks...I think in part that was to do with not wanting to sleep on her back. So we just took it in turns to let her sleep on us (note to anyone reading - we did NOT sleep while she was).

Then we discovered that she liked to sleep on her side (she suffered from some silent reflux) and we bought a wedge and a sleep positioner and she slept really well. However, I know these positioners have since been questioned over their safety after some problems in the US.

Personally I would have been too afraid to let her sleep on her tummy until she could roll over etc.

Hope you and your gorgeous daughter are doing well image

xxx
  • Hi sweety - my LO (now 12 weeks) was exactly the same at 4 weeks! We spent hours with him asleep on his front on us!! We did occasionally then put him in his moses basket on his front but obviously never left him alone like that. He also slept fine on his back at night - strange babies lol!!

The good news is. . . .he did grow out of it! We put him on his side a few times too thinking it was at least safer than on his front . . .but now he sleeps fine on his back and actually dislikes being on his side now.

Must just have been a phase.

But like some of the other ladies said - you are his mother, you have to do what you think is best! Yes the advice is there to prevent things like SIDs - but you did say it was only during the day and you weren't leaving LO alone so I personally don't see a problem with it.

Although, I would also, like becky said, try and persever a bit with the back sleeping during the day so that your LO doesn't start wanting to sleep on her front at night.

I hope that you ahve got something out of this thread and that we have helped a little!

xxx