Forum home Babies Baby

Desperately need your HELP!!

Morning ladies

I'm in urgent need of some advice as I am at a total loss what the hell to do!! Sorry this is a bit long:

Firstly, do you make up feeds in advance? if so what formula are you using and have you ever had any issues with your lo having tummy ache or being poorly because they have been made up in advance? I know it says on the formula not to make them up in advance for 'hygiene reasons' but is that just because then the bottle isn't sterile? or is it because it can upset baby's tummy?

Secondly:

My ds2 is 4 weeks 4 days and sleeps superbly, he eats every 4 hours from 10am to 10pm then 3 hourly (sometimes 4) during the night, he self settles fantastically after each feed. He doesn't bring wind up particularly well and is on Infacol, and occassionally gripe water, but it takes him ages to bring wind up and sometimes he won't bring any, resulting in tummy ache and hiccups and a whiney baby, but he still usually settles himself after 5 minutes of moaning.

That was until last night! He had a feed at 9:00pm and was fine, he went straight back to sleep no problems. He then woke at about 1:00am so I gave him his feed as normal (we use the ready made cartons during the night) and he was fine during the feed. I winded him as usual and he did bring a bit up. After about 15 minutes of winding (I try all sorts of positions, over shoulder, sat up, twisting his body) he wouldn't bring anymore up so I put him down. He then started moaning as he usually does, just like a little groan, not crying, so I left him as I know he would just go to sleep. He didn't go to sleep this time though he started crying and screaming. After a few minutes it was obvious he wasn't going to settle so I picked him out and me and DH took it in turns trying to wind him (by this point it was gone 2:00am) for a good half hour or so, with DS2 still screaming and crying, and this screaming and crying continued until 5:00am when DH got up and took him downstairs. I got up at 10:30am and DH said baby had not really settled at all but had taken a 6oz bottle at 9:00am.

Any ideas as to what was wrong? we offered him further feeds during his screaming but he refused, he wasn't drawing his legs up so don't think it was tummy ache, and no matter how he was held, or laid, he still screamed and cried. I'm at a total loss cos if he's like it again tonight I don't know what to do :?

He has been brilliant up to last night and I just don't know what was wrong or how to help him if he's like it again tonight!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sam, Harrison & Daniel

xxxxx

Replies

• Hi Hun

Hope you are ok.

Okay, to answer your questions:

1. You shouldn't make feeds up in advance as the milk itself is not sterile and can start to breed bacteria after a few hours. However you could sterilise your bottles and add the freshly boiled water to them and then when feed time comes around just add the milk powder and shake. (Obv 1 scoop per oz water is the general rule, but check the tin). We used Aptamil First (Blue Square tub) as SMA wasn't great for our LO. Does your LO have milk at room temperature?

2. I'm no expert hun, but our LO used to do this quite a bot, we had a fair bit of tummy troubles with her, and the most comfortable position (which if anyone wanted to hold her, that was how they had to do it!) was lying face down along our arm so her head was in the crook of our elbow facing the floor, you should have seen my muscles after a few weeks! lol! She also used to sleep on her front (shock horror I know!)but that was how she was happy.

Winding her, we used to lie her face down accross our knees and rub her back which seemed to help, or rub her actual tumnmy (OH spent hours doing this!) Did you feel his ummy at all? Was it hard? Could it have been constipation rather than wind? We also used to have to water our LO's bottles down slightly, so say 5 scoops of powder to 6 or 7 oz water, as we found she has this trouble and it would cause her terrible tummy ache.

I will have a think some more hun, don't fret, it may just have been a one off. xx
  • DS used to have one bottle a day of Aptamil 1, and now his daytime feeds are Hipp organic follow on.

I'll tell you what we did - we'd fill a sterilised bottle with, say 4oz of boiled water and seal and put in the fridge. When it was time to feed, we'd top it up to, say, 6oz, with freshly boiling water then add the 6 scoops of powder. We'd then feed it immediately. I know that's not 'by the book', but I've got my reservations as towhether water at 70 degrees (as they advise you mix it) would be effective at killing any bugs in the milk powder anyway, and anyone who has the patience to stand and cool a hot bottle under the cold tap whilst their baba is howling has steelier nerves than I!

If we need to take a feed out we fill the bottle with hot boiled water to the correct amount - 6oz - before we go, by the time he needs a feed itis warm or room temp and he would drink it happily - we use the sachets of the Hipp milk now as it only comes in a big 500ml bottle ready made.
  • Thank you ladies. I will continue making the bottles up as I need them. We have a feeding routine in place and he eats at around the same times every day so it's fairly easy to make it up just before he needs it, was just hoping to make it a bit easier when going out etc.

Daniel was cranky all day yesterday and just not himself, but he finally had a poo early hours of this morning and slept from 2am to 7:45am and seems a lot better. We did feel his tummy when he was screaming and it did feel slightly hard so guessing he had tummy ache. We are now trying every possible method when winding and it seems to bring up a bit more wind. I'm not sure what has helped though as we introduced a few different things yesterday, he now has MAM bottles, is on C&G Comfort formula and has Colief in his feeds, as well as using different winding methods, so we're unsure which of the

Thank you again, it really was a godsend reading your replies.

xxxxx
  • Hi Sammie,

Glad to hear he is more comfy. Just to let you know, I make up all my babys bottles and keep them in the fridge. Then I just warm them when I need them. I've done this since Eva was first born, and it's suited us perfectly. I know it's not what is recommended, but it has worked out fine for us. I asked the HV about it the day we got home and she said it was fine as long as we kept them no longer than 24hrs in the fridge.

Just do what you are happy with, and what suits you xxx
  • I have always mde up my baby's bottles in advance for a 24 hour period (except his bedtime milk when he turned 6 months as it's thicker and made up differently). We have never had a bad tummy and he is a healthy little boy, so I really do think people can be too careful with germs etc, and tbh the cartons only say it to cover themselves, like with sell by and use by dates, mostly just companies being too safe so they can't be sued for anything.

I make them up at night, and his night bottles always went upstairs with us and the day ones in to the fridge to be warmed up when he needed them. He's nearly 8 months, and as I said before, we've never had a bad tummy!
  • I have always mde up my baby's bottles in advance for a 24 hour period (except his bedtime milk when he turned 6 months as it's thicker and made up differently). We have never had a bad tummy and he is a healthy little boy, so I really do think people can be too careful with germs etc, and tbh the cartons only say it to cover themselves, like with sell by and use by dates, mostly just companies being too safe so they can't be sued for anything.

I make them up at night, and his night bottles always went upstairs with us and the day ones in to the fridge to be warmed up when he needed them. He's nearly 8 months, and as I said before, we've never had a bad tummy!
  • g/c from toddler; I always made my dd's bottles up the night before for the day ahead. I used to make them to demand but it became too stressful if she decided she wanted to eat half hour earlier than I had expected. My dd never had tummy problems, I can count on one hand the number of times she was sick (before weaning). My hv said its fine just make sure the bottles are put to the back of the fridge where its coldest.