Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Endometriosis?

Hello lades,

After a year of ttc and one mc I've been having some tests done and everything is pointing out towards endometriosis!

I am having more tests done in January to find out whatever that is the case, but I am 99% sure this is condition I might have.

I understand it may cause infertility. Spoke to the doctor and she said it might do but since I have concieved before doesn't think that is a problem.

I also had 2 MC one reacently and one years ago, and when questioned whatever endometriosis causes mc she said unlikely.

I have done some research and found that in fact this condition can can cause an early mc.

What I want to know really is whatever anyone has/had endometriosis and can help with a bit of info??

Thanks in advance

Summer

xxx

Replies

• hi summerhope,

i had a lap and dye in sep where they found and removed mod endometriosis from my ovaries and bladder. the surgeon was surprised i didnt have any symptoms.

endo can certainly be a contributing factor to infertility if its mod or severe and depending on its location.I have never been told it can cause miscarriages though ( have had 1 myself and an ectopic) you can have been pregnant before and the endometriosis can have grown after the pregnancy.

• Angelheart thank you for your reply.

Hope you are ok now. Have you been ttc for a while?

I am looking forward to finally finding out after all the years of suffering. I can concieve but since I had 2 mc and obviously worry, and some articles suggest there is a link between endo and mc.

It is hard to know for sure of course.

I am seeing consultant in jan so fc I have some questions answered.

xxx
  • Hi Summerhope

I suffer from Endometriosis and have also had PCOS. I have always had irregular periods since being a teenager and they would be extremely heavy and excruciating. When I was 23 I had my first Laperorscopy and was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I felt relief to finally be given a reason for everything I was going through. For me the endometriosis tissue had attached itself to some of my organs, reproductive bits and my bowel. 2 years later I had a 2nd laperoscopy and afterwards they suggested that I might need fertility treatment to help me to concieve. This was partly due to the fact that I had irregular periods too.

I have never been the most careful with contraception and didn't conceive, but I am now 32 and this year after some 'proper' trying I got pregnant. It took us about 4 months with some very irregualr periods and in the process we were also about to start IVF but it happened naturally. Admittedly, I did have to monitor my periods and track my ovulation very carefully. For me, I have had no problems with the Endometriosis during my pregnancy. If anything, I was told by my consultant that pregnancy can cause remission and make it better.

Endometriosis can be an underlying cause for fertility problems, but this is mainly if the scar tissue has affected / damaged your fallopian tubes or ovaries. A laperoscopy is usually the best way to find out.

Good luck, and if you have any Q's feel free to PM and ask.

Take care, hugs Hazel xxx
  • Hazel, thank you for your reply.

I really wish I was diagnosed earlier as I was suffering for years and whenever I have seen a gp I was told it is not uncommon to have such bad period pains(eventhough I used to faint, feel sick, and loose so much blood, it would take me days to recover)

Anyway I was put on the pill and it got a bit better, not so much with pain (I've learnt to control it, with huge doses of iburofen)but with the blood loss.

So I've learnt to live with it and thought it was 'normal'

I live in Germany now and since I've been ttc for a year, doctor had asked some questions, he suspected endometriosis straight away. He could not belive that all this years I had not been refered to investigate..

Anyway hopefully I will find out how bad is it and wether my fertility had been afected.

Thanks again for all the info. And of course congratulations! You must be over the moon, specially after going through all of that.

Wishing you H&H rest of the pg!

Summer

xxxx