Forum home Babies Baby

Aila's fight with Septicaemia

This is a link to the story of my baby daughters fight with Septicaemia - please read and share this link, if her story can help save a single babies life it's worth sharing

http://www.meningitis.org/book-of-experience/aila-hazel-beattie-41744

Replies

• hi hun would really like to read this but I cant get the link to work?

xx
  • Oh mrs image I had no idea you went through this with your little princess (who is fricken gorgeous btw) I have to say the 'm' word is a big big fear of mine to of my close friends little brother and sister had it and, thankfully both recovered but only because of luck,one lives next door to a gp who had penicillin home with her and injected her with it which saved her life as she was unconscious by the time they got to the hospital even with the injections (15 minute journey) and the other was a medical rep who spotted the early signs in her little brother and insisted she and her mum took him to the doctors and while there the rash started to appear before their eyes, same thing he got a shot of penicillin which saved his life as he too was rushed by ambulance to hospital and was out cold on arrival.

Such a scary disease so glad your little woman is a wee toughie and pulled through xx
  • what a lil fighter. xxx
  • OMG - what a scary time you had, I can totally understand why you feel angry toward the other hospital. What a brave little girl Aila is. I cannot imagine how scared you all must have been. Thank you fpr sharing your story

She is so beautiful x x
  • Thank you for sharing your story, I think your protective mummy instinct played a HUGE part in why your beautiful girl is doing so well now following appropriate treatment, very best wishes x
  • What a frightening time that must've been. I too would be angry at the other hospital - have they given an explanation as to why they didn't take her temp for so long?

Thank you for sharing your story - it's made me more aware of the signs and possible complications of such a nasty illness.

xxx
  • Autumn here's another attempt at the link - if it doesn't work you can copy and paste it into the address bar http://www.meningitis.org/book-of-experience/aila-hazel-beattie-41744

With both my experiences and having read other stories its clear that midiagnosis plays a huge part in many Meningitis / Septicaemia stories.

Moonbean I'm glad your friends brother and sister had someone who recognised the symptoms and acted quickly speed is very much of the essence when it comes to these ilnesses. My friend who I mentioned in the story was pronounced brain dead less than 24 hours after being diagnosed with tonsilitis by her GP.

I'm glad that this has helped people become more aware - instinct plays abig part but alot of Dr's think paretns are being overprotective, that was how I was made to feel.

Poppygirl I've not discussed Aila's care - I have asked for an appointment with my consultant to discuss what happened and am hoping to ask about Aila's treatment then.
  • I didn't realise that you had had such a time with Aila. It's so horrible when they're poorly. Both my children have had to have a lumbar puncture. Abby had pneumonia when she was born and Charlie got septicaemia through an infection to his femoral line after his second operation. Luckily neither had meninigitis but both were very poorly. Charlie's septiceamia was picked up by a high temp as well. We are all very lucky, my colleague lost her 18 month old son to meninigitis. He was one of twins and his sister still asks where he's gone. :cry: I also lost a friend at university, he thought he had flu.

I appreciate my beautiful children even more because of what they've been through.

H xx
  • Oh poor you! Do you mind me asking that if you'd have had Strep B picked up then you would have had antibiotics and she would have had 4 hourly obs? I was treated as Strep B pos and we had those things but this just heightens the need for routine strep B testing, doesn't it? x
  • I agree. Why aren't women routinely screened? It's common enough and the complications can be so serious you would have thought it would be an obvious thing to do. The other one is gestational diabetes. I was never tested and yet the outcome in a newborn can also be fatal.

H xx
  • The problem with screening is that even if you test negative it doesn't mean you're not a carrier - I think over and above routine screening there needs to be an educational campaign for HCP's and parents alike. I remember the GP pressing on part of Aila's rash and asking the midwife "any risk factors" - it didn't register at the time but he was obviously had Men in mind and looking to see if it was a nonblanching rash. Although this is a huge symptom of Men & Sept its not the only sign and also - like Aila's -the rash can be atypical. I had absolutely no risk factors, I didn't go into labour as baby was found to be breech at 40+1. My consultant says the most likely cause was a pinprick break in my waters just enough to let the bacteria in but not enough to let any waters out.

Despite having knowledge of Meningitis and Septicaemia I wasn't aware of Group B Strep until a friend had swabs taken after a bleed at 37 weeks and tested positive for Group B Strep. I did alot of reading at that point and even got one of the testing kits. I decided not to have it done as after all the worrying I did during my pregnancy (having had 2 previous miscarriages) I didn't want to give myself something else to panic about.

I am due an appointment with my consultant to discuss what happened and also my options for next pregnancy and birth. We briefly discussed it whilst me and Aila were still in hospital but I didn't really take much in.

These illnesses seem to be like Miscarriage - you don't realise how common they are until you experience it and people start sharing their own experiences too. No-one really wants to talk about it but I think its massively important to do so or babies lives can be at risk.
  • Blondefriend how's little Charlie doing now? Hope everything is well with him.