Forum home Babies Baby

FAO: Maenad

Hi Mrs

Just on the scrounger really, noticed before you make curries etc for the kids, our ds's are the same age, does he eat these and if so would you mind sharing a recipe with me??

My DS2 loves currys but he rarely gets them as I use the uncle bens jar and obviously couldn't use this on DS2 but if I had a low salt version that I could whip up myself then it would do the both of them.

Thanks in advance and no worries if the curries etc are not suitable for the ba's xx

Replies

• This is my favourite beef curry recipe for the slowcooker - if making for DS to share I use a salt free veggie stock cube instead of beef stock, and remove and blitz his portion before adding the cashews(which are optional anyway). ETA - I also leave the salt out of the flour mix in any case, I don't think it needs it!

It's honestly gorgeous and very mild and fruity so ideal for kids, DD loves it. When I blitz DS's portion I add a little creme fraiche to cool it even more.

Beef curry serves 4

2 tbsp flour

1 tbsp curry powder

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp oil

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic crushed

1.5 lbs stewing or braising beef cubed

1 sliced red pepper

397g can tomatoes including juice

1/4 pint beef stock

2 tbsp chutney (any)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1oz sultanas

2 cooking apples, cored and roughly chopped

1oz cashew nuts (if you like them, not essential at all)

Mix flour, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, ginger and salt.

In a large fry pan gently fry onion and garlic until soft, not browned.

Toss meat in spiced flour and brown on all sides in the pan. Stir in any remaining flour.

Add all remaining ingredients except nuts and transfer to slow cooker and cook for 6-10 hours.

Stir in nuts prior to serving if desired.

I also do a very simple mild red lentil dahl - saute half a chopped onion in a bit of oil with a pinch of mild curry powder. add a handful of rinsed red lentils and swirl around in the onions/oil,then add half a salt free stock cube and cover with hot water. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes, you'll need to keep an eye on it and top up with a splash of water if needed. When the lentils are mushy, take it off the heat, serve as isor blitz for a younger baby, adding yoghurt or creme fraiche if you like.
  • aw thank you so much have copied and pasted to my laptop and even better one that you can do during his morning nap and leave until tea time my fav!! leaves the afternoon free!!!

Thanks so much again xx
  • Just gatecrashing. image I rarely use exact quantities as I can never be bothered but what I do is get the following ingredients:

FRESH (chopped)

garlic

ginger

coriander

mint

chillis

DRIED (powder)

cumin

paprika

DRIED (crush)

coriander seeds

fennel seeds

cardamon pods

Throw them all together and divide into freezer bags and freeze. Then when you are ready you can get some ingredients (lamb, chicken, beef or various veg) and put them in a casserole dish with the spices. Add a base (yogurt, tomato, spinach, lentils) depending on what you fancy. Cook slowly at 150oC for 2+ hours. Serve with rice or bread. Yummy. image
  • Maenad...can we come and live at your house....sounds so yummy will certainly give it a try...

ps. sorry for gatecrashing...x
  • oooooooohh thats a good idea blondefriend gatecrash away lol How did your christmas go with the wee man home?
  • There's barely enough room for us in my house, it's tiny!

you can come for dinner though.
  • do you do takeout? image
  • If you want to drive all the way to ArseEndOfNowhere, Welsh Valleys, to pick up your food I will certainly stew you some lentils honey!
  • I want some take away too Maenad!!!

Will definately be trying that curry recipe!

Thank you.

!