Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010

Hows your baby's sleep routine/pattern going?

Hi all,

Hope you and babies are doing good.

Just wondering how the other babies similar age to DS (he is 7wks) is doing at night.

Ds doesn't go to sleep till 4am. He naps from 9pm-12am then will be up from 12-4. he will then sleep till 11am. (he will wake every 3 hrs for a feed and straight back to sleep) there is no getting him to sleep between 12 AND 4am!!

7wks to early for a routine? What do you do? He also sleeps quite alot during the day, think I suld wake him up? I've been trying just to follow his lead and let him sleep/feed when he wants figuring he will settle into a routine.

Anyway im waffling, what do you do/think? image

Replies

• Daniel is 7 weeks tomorrow and so far (really hoping I don't jinx myself now) he is a little star with his feeding. He eats between 3 and 4 hourly during the day. He has a last bottle between 8pm and 9pm then usually wakes around 3am, then again between 7am and 8am and he's been like that for about 2 weeks now. He actually had a feed last night at 8pm the woke me again at 4:15am for another, went straight back to sleep and woke me at 8:15am this morning

With DS1 I had a very strict 4 hourly routine and I wouldn't allow him to stray from it by even 15 minutes, and if anything forced me to stray from it I would get p*ssed off. This time round I'm letting Daniel lead. I do have a 3 hour minimum rule, whereby he has to go a minimum of 3 hours between feeds but that's it really. He does take between 5oz and 7oz per feed so it does depend hopw much he had last feed as to how long he lasts.

Daniel is awake for about and hour to hour and a half after his feeds during the day.

I personally think that 7 weeks is fine for a routine, DS1 was in a very strict routine from about 3 weeks. I haven't bothered with a set routine with Daniel yet as it is difficult with having Harrison as it all depends on what we're doing that day etc, so I just let Daniel lead.

xxxxx
  • my little fella is 11 weeks & only just starting to sleep through properly until about roughly 7am. He still has no set times when he wants a feed sometimes he's shouting after 3 hours sometimes he'll sleep past the 4 we feed on demand always have & all our babies were happy & contented little things image

When he was about your baby's age he was the same wide awake at the wrong time!!! I never went got to bed before 3am often 5am, but he sorted himself out & gradually the awake time got earlier & earlier. Now he is awake lots during the day hence the sleeping for long periods at night. We did the exact same with our other 3 & i promise he will sort out his clock himself. image

4fab. x
  • my little fella is 11 weeks & only just starting to sleep through properly until about roughly 7am. He still has no set times when he wants a feed sometimes he's shouting after 3 hours sometimes he'll sleep past the 4 we feed on demand always have & all our babies were happy & contented little things image

When he was about your baby's age he was the same wide awake at the wrong time!!! I never went got to bed before 3am often 5am, but he sorted himself out & gradually the awake time got earlier & earlier. Now he is awake lots during the day hence the sleeping for long periods at night. We did the exact same with our other 3 & i promise he will sort out his clock himself. image

4fab. x
  • My routine is much like sammi's i have done this routine since 4 weeks ish. He wakes the same too. Spooky lol!!

The 3 b's bath bottle and bed they need to know the diff between day and night.

I keep the room really dark and after his last feed i carry him up to moses sometimes hes already gone to sleep sometimes i do sssh pat and pick up put dwn. It works eventually.

I just have to sort a day time routine out now as my ds loves to be cuddled so i wear a sling. I try everyday to put him dwn in moses but he only cat naps and gets ratty and over tired.

Saying that he feeds roughly same time everyday so i have routine there. But im glad im not doing a rigid routine because it gives u flexibility to go out etc.

xx
  • I'm still exclusively breast feeding so feeding on demand. It depends what we're doing. Sometimes she can go 2-3 hours between feeds and other times it'll be hourly. She still cluster feeds in the evening so she won't go to sleep til anywhere between 10 and 12 but then she'll sleep through til 8ish so it's definately worth it!

She doesn't really sleep as much in the day now. Just need to get the daytime feeding into a routine. Hv said it's all very normal for a bf baby and it'll slow down in the next few weeks (she's 9 wks).

Anyone else still only bf ing? Xx
  • Our little girl is 8 weeks tomorrow and since 4 weeks we have had a bedtime routine. She has a little massage at 6pm in her nursery with the lights dimmed and nursery rhymes on, then into bath or top & tail, and then I breastfeed her. She then goes into a grobag, I sing "twinkle twinkle little star" then the mobile goes on in her cotbed and I make a swift exit! At 10.30pm my husband feeds her with a bottle of my milk often in her sleep then she'll go through to about 5-6.30am - at the start she'd go till 2am.

We do this because we wanted to have time together but also we started to notice that by 6pm she was getting grumpy and tired so we thought why not try putting her down for 7pm. She is a big baby and after 4 weeks out grew her moses basket, she was so uncomfy in it and barely slept. Ever since putting her in her own cotbed in her own room she seems to love it as she can stretch out like a starfish! Being big also means I can leave her for longer without a feed at night but boy does she feed during the day!

We have this same routine for night even if we are at another house (we take a travel cot) but in the day she does what she likes! For example yesterday she barely slept and we had a busy day so today she was sleepy in the morning.

In the day I always try to take her out so she can she the light. Also she always has a morning nap back in her cotbed with the blinds shut but when she wakes up I pick her up and pull open the blinds with her so she can she the daylight.

We are very fortunate at the moment and I am going to bed early to try to make the most of it as I bet in a few weeks she'll change her mind and decide she wants a different routine!
  • p.s puddleduck - I am breastfeeding and plan to do so for as long as possible, hopefully 6 months. I started expressing one bottle in the morning from four weeks so hubby could do 'dream feed' at 10.30pm.