Forum home Babies Baby

9 month check?

We had a slip in the post yesterday with an appt for this tuesday (ta for the notice!) for DS. It just says '9 months'.

Is it normal to have a check? I don't remember DD having one, but she was seeing the neonatologist regularly until 18mo so maybe they didn't bother. I know he isn't due any routine jabs. I'm not consenting to the swine flu vaccine so if I drag him down there and that's what they want I shall be unamused.

Any ideas before I ring them tomorrow?

Replies

• In our area, we have a Routine 9 Month Check-Up which is similar to the 6-8 Week one. The HV does it and discusses how things have been up until now and talks about the develomental stages they should be reaching (although in my opinion, every baby is different. Just because a book says she should be doing something by this age doesn't mean she is and there isn't anything wrong with that).

Also in our area they aren't offering the flu or swine flu jab to unless the child has other medical conditions which could lead to complications like Pneumonia (although I find this funny too because I had Flu about 2 weeks before Christmas and I developed Pneumonia and ended up in hospital for a week and I have no other medical conditions).

Sorry about the essay! Hope this helps.

Kim xx
  • In our area, we have a Routine 9 Month Check-Up which is similar to the 6-8 Week one. The HV does it and discusses how things have been up until now and talks about the develomental stages they should be reaching (although in my opinion, every baby is different. Just because a book says she should be doing something by this age doesn't mean she is and there isn't anything wrong with that).

Also in our area they aren't offering the flu or swine flu jab to unless the child has other medical conditions which could lead to complications like Pneumonia (although I find this funny too because I had Flu about 2 weeks before Christmas and I developed Pneumonia and ended up in hospital for a week and I have no other medical conditions).

Sorry about the essay! Hope this helps.

Kim xx
  • it depends which end of the twn you live in here. My friend got one at her drs and we didnt. I did have a home visit at a year. Hadnt had him weighed since 16 weeks-oppsx x
  • No, I haven't had DS weighed since his 16 week jabs either! It probably is just a check then, thank you. DH has reminded me that when I was pregnant we got invite letters for the flu jab for me and for DD, inviting us to make an appointment if we wanted them, I'd forgotten about that.
  • It varies a lot between areas & from what I can tell on a fairly regular basis even within an area.

DS1 (nearly 2.5) hasn't been seen officially since the 6 week check other than for injections. When he was born we were told he'd get an 8 month check but they then changed the policy.

At DS2's (8.5 months) 6 week check I was told that we should have a 'family health check' when he turns 1 but that it would probably change before then!!

As far as I know they will just check general development, ask if you have any concerns etc. Flu jab isn't being routinely offered to under 5's so it certainly shouldn't be for that.
  • Abby had an 8 month check back in the day. I'd forgotten all about it until I just happened to be looking through her red book. They just discussed how I thought things were going and checked that she could do simple things like pick up a block, sit upright etc. She actually crawled off during it, pulled herself up to standing and stole a pencil off the side so I think the doctor was happy. image

Charlie's red book has a page for a "1 year" check so I assume that is what they will do even though Abby didn't have one. However he is only having his official 6 week check tomorrow and he is 17 weeks old. And he will probably be seen by health professionals every couple of weeks anyway. Like your dd he's not the best example.

H xx
  • I got a slip through for 'Baby Sn*****' through yesterday for an 8 month check on Thurs. The nursery nurse who is linked to the HVs and runs our Under Ones group says they are done between 7 and 9 months and just discuss progress, whether they are sitting, can transfer things from one hand to the other, picking up small items, reacting to sound and discuss sleeping and eating x
  • it suppose to be a 8-12 months check its a page in the red book, TBH its a waste of time, i got told my LO was behind in his speech as he preffered saying gaga instead of baba which he apparently should be saying first, he was weighed and she droned on about food and milk, and i didnt even get my bookstart books!!
  • Grace had hers just before Christmas. Just the usual weighing and measuring and a few questions about development, eating habits, any questions I had etc. Round here it's a 7-9 month check so can happen any time in that window. I had the same with DD1 although then it was a home visit and now it's at the clinic. I'm not sure what's next. Jabs at12 & 13 months but not sure if there's a HV appt before the 2 year check ... If that still happens.
  • in our area it's the '12month check' but can be done anytime between 9-15months...much like ds is now coming up for his 2yr check but they said can be anywhere between 21months-2.5yrs, although she said most are usually at 2 and a quarter...xx
  • Oh. My. God.

What a complete effing waste of my precious time.

We went, we stripped*, we weighed (20lb, 75th centile) we head measured (45cm, 75th centile), we measured (75cm, 99.8th centile). HV said "do you have any concerns?". I said no. We were sent back into the waiting room. Dr calls us.

Dr gets me to remove nappy. Dr checks baby's hip movement, thigh creases and that testes are descended (all of this done by the other Dr in the practice at 16 week jabs). Dr says all is fine, we can go.

Seriously? I drove all that way (they hold baby clinic at other practice in the group, not my own, a 20 minute drive away) to find out that my baby is averagely heavy with an average size head and is really tall. I could have just bloody looked at him and phoned to tell them this!

SASSENFRASSENRASSEN!

*DS, not me. Because me getting nekkid at baby clinic would be...weird.
  • I took ds for his 8 month check last week...had to fill in a questionnaire, is he sitting, is he babbling etc and hand it in, he was weighed then a quick group 'chat' have they all jad their vaccinations? Are they eating 'family foods'? Ok bye! Don't see a dr, they didn't even look at ds, and apparently they don't measure them here now until they're 2?
  • Checked my red book and the next page is for a 24 month review - am surprised they leave it so long.
  • We had an 8 month check at home too. Weighed, measured and then general questions about development, eating habits etc. That's when we get our bookstart pack here too.