Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

4 month old sleep issues

Hi everyone,

My little girl is 4 months old and she has previously gone 11/12 hours each night, with no feeds.

As of last Thursday (which also coincided with her injections, not sure if that's relevant or not) she has started waking up every 2/3 hours and shouting/fussing a bit.

She's not actually crying and she settles herself back down but she does it for a good 15 minutes or so each time and it's loud enough to keep us awake. She also lifts her legs up and slams them down in her cot whilst she's awake.

I'm reluctant to go into her room to settle her back to sleep as she's capable of settling herself and I don't want her to get into bad habits, but I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem and how long it lasted etc?

I've heard of sleep issues at 4 months but I expected her to be waking for food, not just for no reason.

She's formula fed and is a chunky monkey at 17lb7oz last week so doesn't really need feeding through the night unless she's having a growth spurt or something.

Anyone had any experience of this, and if so, how did you deal with it?xx

Replies

• Hiya hon,

This sounds like the four month sleep regression, which we've been going through as you know!

I did quite a bit of reading up on this and it seems that it's a developmental thing rather than linked to a growth spurt or hunger. It's something to do with their brains waking up to the world and they start to sleep more like adults. There's not a lot you can do about it either, you just have to ride it out!

As Sophie is able to settle herself back to sleep again it's best just to leave her and hopefully it will pass quickly for you.

xx
  • yip we also had something similar when dd was the same age (i knew she wasnt hungry so didnt start weaning and persevred) and it was also just a phase for us and it passed in a week or so - dd was still in our room and although it kept me awake (hubby would sleep through an earthquake!) im a light sleeper anyway she would roll around/grumble sometimes wake but not fully and groan etc i left her to it as she would go back to sleep within 5 mins usually but if she got upset and cried i shhh/pat her and she settled back down without wakening up fully.

As for the slamming legs down this is a favourite of my dd...she is almost 7 months now in her big girl cot in her own room she does it all the more lol.

It is a common thing and tends to be as the others said related to their brains and the stage they are at with their development it should pass if you persevere with doing as you are and hopefully it wont last 2 long.

Lx
  • Well oddly enough she slept her straight 12 hours again last night. I think she fussed once and even then it was only for a few minutes rather than 10-15 minutes.

I'll see how she goes from now on, but it would be rather nice if it only lasted 4 nights, wishful thinking! lol

Lucy, did Erin start sleeping badly from 4 months exactly or was it a week or so afterwards?

Thanks for all the replies ladies, I'm glad to know other babies did the same! xx
  • Not wanting to depress you but my lo started doing this around the same time and still does it (nearly 8 months now) - especially the slamming feet down in the cot lol. I've just got used to the fact she's a fidgetty sleeper and a noisy one too! lol x
  • Erin started at around 14 weeks, she slept through when we went to Spain and then about a week after we got back it started but it can start anytime from 3 months up to 5 months.

My friend daughter only had about four bad nights and went back to sleeping 12/13 hours so you are hopefully lucky too!

We're still going through it a bit, an awful lot better than it was but she's only slept through properly without waking up once sine 14 weeks!

xx
  • They normally have a growth spurt around 16 weeks, with any luck once the growth spurt has finished sleep will return! xx