Forum home Babies Baby

FAO Maenad..(aka Queen Cloth)

Hi hun,

My DS is 9 months and has just switched from boob to formula and as such has turned into an olympic pee-er!!

I wondered if you could suggest a good night time nappy as at the moment he is soaking wet in the morning (used to be able to use a bumgenius with 2 inserts..have since tried super stuffing with the most being 2 thick bamboo boosters (1 of which is folded and paded at front) a OS insert and a newborn inserts..still woke up wet!

I wanted to try some wool pants/cover, could you reccomend somewhere to get one from? and how to care for it? can I buy them already lanolised to use straight away?

Thanks in advance? xx

Replies

• oh also, have you ever used mamabless wool wraps? I think these look really cute but cant find any reveiws? xx
  • Sorry - gatecrashing again!

I used Bumgenius with Abby and found the same problem. Although they are great most of the time they didn't last 12 hours. I found that nappies which use a separate wrap work much better as the soaking fabric is not directly attached to the elastic around the legs. I personally used Motherease but I'm sure that other wraps work just as well.

H xx
  • Sorry - gatecrashing again!

I used Bumgenius with Abby and found the same problem. Although they are great most of the time they didn't last 12 hours. I found that nappies which use a separate wrap work much better as the soaking fabric is not directly attached to the elastic around the legs. I personally used Motherease but I'm sure that other wraps work just as well.

H xx
  • Hello!

At night time I use a specific night nappy covered with wool.

I like Weenotions Night Nappies, we also use nappies from Holdens Landing (American nappy making mum based on Hyenacart) called Dreamscapes and another from Hyenacart called Pianissimo cloth with an extra doubler. I will do links in a minute as I am jiggling a crotchety DS!

I had some mamabless longies for DD, they're nice but quite thin and probably better for daytime. Do you want knitted wool or wool 'fabric' and do you want pull on pants, cover with velcro/poppers or a pair of trousers? Tell me and I'll recommend a few!

Some will come lanolised but they will need to be periodically washed and relanolised - maybe once every few weeks? Just air between uses - don't wash after each wear. Wool is self cleaning. If they start to niff or feel damp on the outside after use, wash very gently without excess rubbing or soaking - a quick swill and 20 min soak in the sink is fine - with a very gentle soap or special wool wash, in tepid water. Rinse, gently press out, then prepare a bowl/sink of tepid water, melt some lanolin in a cup of boiling water, add a drop of baby shampoo or dish soap, swirl into sink and add woolies. Soak overnight, drain, don't rinse, roll in a towel to press dry then air dry and put back on baby.

It takes longer to explain than to do!
  • Thanks so much hun! Sorry for all the questions but knew you were the lady for the jobimage

Whats the difference between knitted wool and wool fabric?

I think Pull up pants would be best,

What Lanolin do you recommend? Do you still only have to air it out if hes done a poo? (obviously if none if the poo got on them)

I saw the Woollywrap website and liked the look of the pants..but couldnt really find a great deal of reveiws for them...do you have any experience?

Thanks again xxx
  • Oh alos...I just read somewhere you cant put them in babygrows with wool pants?? is this true?

DS normally wears a babygrow and vest or pyjamas to bed xx
  • I put wool under babygros and I put him in a Grobag sleeping bag and it works perfectly! I often use knitted trousers 'longies' with a pyjama top.

Knitted wool is just that hand knitted on actual needles, wool fabric (sometimes called wool jersey or wool interlock) is also just that - looks more like a shop bought jumper IYSWIM.

You might want to start with something like this, as it's more reasonably priced than some wool items:

http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/details-05WOOLDISPULL.html

Never used woolywraps but as long as it's pure wool (or animal fleece, alpaca works well too) and lanolised, it should work, so give it a crack!

I knit stuff myself for DS and this is a cheaper way of doing it, if you knit or know someone who will knit for you, I can give you some patterns. This is something I made for DS:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs360.snc4/44281_421413356501_574711501_5425156_1373290_n.jpg

• Oh wow that's lovely!!! The colours are gorgeous!!

I've ordered one of those disana soakers and some wool cure, may order one of those woollywraps tomorrow too image

Thanks again for your help Hun! Thank god your still here, after half of the site has buggered off lol xx
  • I am irritatingly tenacious!

If you're using the wool cure you don't need to add any baby shampoo, just add a little wool cure to warm water and soak.