Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food advice please! Xxx

My LO is constipated and the HV has told mento try and get her to drink more water but LO just Ian interested! She's 6 months and was wondering if the baby juice you can get is ok, I've had a look and most are sugar free and no additives or preservatives! It's just not something I had planned on using but if it helps to get fluid into her do you think it's ok to use!

Also baby yogourts, I've bought some of the little stars! I know they have some sugar in them but having a couple of weeks is surely ok!

This mummy thing is so hard sometimes!

Becky

Xxx

Replies

• I think the juices are fine..I'm sure some of them say 4mnths and over. When my daughter had this prob- I boiled some dried apricots and pureed them- just a few spoonfuls with the yoghurt. Also, I think the water you boil them in could be cooled and spoonfed for the same effect!
  • I found squeezing a mandarin orange into a few ounces of water and offering her that to drink a great cure for constipation. Because it's sweet they usually like it. Also, it's like a juice but you can be assured it's totally natural.

Another thing that worked was belly massages and, strangely, a decent length car ride! There's something about the car that usually makes her go image

xxx
  • Not sure about the constipation thing as we've not had that issue, but I think the juices are okay from 4 months. Not ideal as you say, but if needs must.

Rachels organic do yoghurts without added sugar, so do Plum (only sold in waitrose/ocado from what I can see), they're sweetened with fruit juice instead. x
  • My friends LO wouldn't take water so she started using a tiny bit of the baby juice added to water - it was just enough to give flavour and slightly colour the water. That way you are making the juice even more dilute if you're not too keen on the juice.

My daughter wasn't constipated but after a clementine her poo was much less solid than usual (she's 6 1/2 months) so citrus fruit is definately worth a shot if she's eating solids