Forum home Babies Baby

Goodbye, hope to see you at The Nest

Hi ladies, not been on in a long time as I was amongst those rather peeved at the whole personal information leak episode. I've just come back on to say goodbye, really, and leave directions for those who would like to stay in touch with me.

If anyone does want to keep in touch I, along with many other old BE faces, am now posting on a forum called The Nest:

http://s15.invisionfree.com/TheNest

http://facebook.com/flyingthenest

It's smaller than BE but very friendly, and properly moderated.

Thanks so much to all of those who have offered advice and been a friend to me here. I feel a bit sad after all these years, but rather than just ranting about it I feel I need to vote with my feet.

Really hope to see some of you over at The Nest.

Replies

• When Baby Expert changed they leaked a lot of people's personal information, such as children's birthdays and in some cases, full names or email addresses. It's certainly changed the forums, they're nowhere near as populated or supportive as they used to be, sadly. Hopefully PTB's post will boost the numbers over at The Nest! It needs more support - best thing is that it's got real-life moderators who reply to posts and make changes, instead of BE's pretend Website Suggestions forum.
  • What do you mean leaked? Who did they 'leak' the in formation too? Xxx
  • They made it public on some profiles, so anyone could see info on some users' profiles just by clicking on it when previously that info had been kept private, and they did so without successfully informing all the users to whom that would happen. For example, some people had their child's birth date available for anyone to see on their profile, because they had initially signed up to have the pregnancy count down in the corner under their log in name. When that was taken down around 2 years ago, the birth date/due date info was still held by BE, but wasn't seen by anyone until the changes. Some people had their user names changed to their email address, some to their previous YAYW login name, including a couple of members for whom that was beyond insensitive.

They also signed all members up to all the Hearst Digital network, something a lot of people weren't happy with as they had no desire to share their login details with other sites.

A lot of users have become disillusioned with the lack of moderaters on this site, the long delay in having offensive posts removed, and the general ignorance BE staff have over what actually appears in these forums. The Nest is somewhere properly moderated, which gives peace of mind, and is an alternative to this site.

Unfortunately, neither site is, as yet, what BE once was - a supportive place where a problem could have many, many replies (even if people just wrote words of support, not necessarily advice) giving mums and mums-to-be another option when needing to find others going through the same things. It's such a shame.
  • Sorry to see your leaving PTB but im over in the nest too and hope to speak to you there, i just pop on here every once in a while, BE is rubbish from the changes, i bet they regret them now having lost so many users!
  • Sorry to see your leaving PTB but im over in the nest too and hope to speak to you there, i just pop on here every once in a while, BE is rubbish from the changes, i bet they regret them now having lost so many users!
  • it's like the end of an era...i too am on the nest (although i keep forgetting about it) so shall see u over there x