Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Anyone have experience of requesting c-sec??

Hi! I'm new on here and after a bit of advice.

I'm 21+3 with my 3rd baby and have a consultant appointment coming up on Thurs next week. I am hoping to request an elective C. My reasons for this are many,
I have borderline high BP which is greatly affected by anxiety problems,
I have been diagnosed by a psychologist as having Tocophobia, (fear of childbirth)
I have a minor heart condition that causes a racing heartbeat and palps,
I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, a left over side effect of the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder I developed after the birth of my son 3yrs ago.
I have had 2 ops in the past year for anal fissures (after birth of son), they have finally healed after 3 yrs of pain!
I haven't been able to pass stools properly since having my son due to muscle damage. I was about to be referred for treatment when I found out I was pregnant again.
I have a low-lying placenta at the mo, but chances are it will move.

I was treated for 2yrs by psychologists and psychiatrists after my sons birth and I'm still suffering with anxiety problems now. I know for a fact I will just go into melt down if I have to go through labour again. I asked my MW at booking in if I could have a c-sec so I could guarantee that the birth of my last baby will be a positive one, all she said was "don't rule out a vaginal delivery yet".

Do you think my request for a c-sec is a valid one? Am I able to demand one in my position? I will do whatever they want me to do, see more psychologists whatever. Any help appreciated xxx

Replies

• i would say you do seem to have a valid reason. i recently had one due to a previous section and they agreed without discussion.

sounds like you had an awful time and i think you have a strong case for a section.

Anna x
  • I totally understand your fears...I didn't know there was actually a name for it. Ask them nicely & then if you need to be firm....do so until you get what you want. You shouldn't have to be worried from now until the birth about what lies ahead x
  • My god!!! I would have slapped the midwife round he face the cheeky cow!! she obviously didn't listen to you!

If you are refused one, or made to feel bad because you want one and pressured into anything you dont want - I strongly suggest changing midwife and consultant. You are free to do this.

Christ If i had gone through all that i wouldn't even have considered having another to start with lol cos I'm a proper WIMP!

You should have more than enough medical evidence and reports which will help your case for a C-sec.

Good luck
    Emma xxxxxxxxxx
    30+5
  • Yes, you definitely can request a c section.
    I'm having one for my first baby in 5 weeks time and that's due to the fact that I had to have a bowel operation due to a pro-lapse 2 years ago. My Doc at the time said that natural childbirth would be a risk due to all the strain, so that alone is reason enough for you.

Good luck
    xx
    33+4
  • Thanks for your help!

I have my appointment day after tomorrow and I'm already getting really anxious image So I'm in the process of writing down my list of reasons and questions for my consultant. At least that way if I dissolve into a panic attack my friend whos coming with me for support can speak on my behalf.

Thanks again girls! And good luck to all of you too image xxx
  • Thanks for your help!

I have my appointment day after tomorrow and I'm already getting really anxious image So I'm in the process of writing down my list of reasons and questions for my consultant. At least that way if I dissolve into a panic attack my friend whos coming with me for support can speak on my behalf.

Thanks again girls! And good luck to all of you too image xxx
  • Can you request/demand a C section? I have suffered from a bad anal fissue and piles for the last 14 years or so, they are so bad that I pretty much bleed everytime i pass a stool (sorry if TMI). I can keep this under control as much as possible with lots of Fibregel drinks and drinking lots of water but if I can lose that much blood passing a stool, what if i have a long or hard labour? I am absolutely petrified of giving birth naturally because of this complication, just have all these bad thoughts about bleeding to death or tearing so bad that something awful will happen to me.

xx
  • A friend of mine requested a C-Section and told her midwife that she was afraid of giving birth (she was pregnant with her first baby, she had no previous experience of birth). They booked her in for a C-Section at her request but she went into labour a few days before. The hospital then tried to convince her to carry on naturally, but she insisted she needed a C-Section(quite loudly im told!!) and got her way. Im sure my friend's fears were genuine, but she didnt have as many well justified reasons as you do. If they will grant the request of someone who had no other reason than fear (which is so common with first timers), then I would imagine that they wouldnt even begin to refuse you when you have a list of quite serious reasons xxx
  • hi

just wanted to say how sorry i am you've had such a rough time. Also, just wanted to let you know it's not a midwifery decision it's a medical one so your midwife can't just say yes to a caesarean - it has to be a consultant.

I think for the physical issues with the fissures alone you will be granted cs in a heartbeat. Most consultants love doing cs anyway! :lol:

I can understand your anxiety after what childbirth has done to you in the past and so will your consultant. Hope things work out the way you want them to x
  • I had a traumatic first birth so requested a c-section second time round. I had a couple of bad appointments with consultants where they wouldnt take me seriously, but I kept with it and got my section in the end. Good luck!
  • I'm almost certain you can demand a c-sect with valid reason. I had a section with my first (baby was breech) and have requested one for my next baby (Due Sept). They gave me literature to weigh up the pros and cons of a vbac vs section but will go ahead with the section if I definitely want it.

Shell xx
  • I have been trying to get consent for a 2nd section after a breech EMCS with my son only to be told No as there is no obstetric reason for another section, even though I have a imflamitary bowel disease called Ulcerative Colitis. I had a horrendouse experience with my son and a non progressive painful labour and really do not want to go through a similar experience taking into account my bowel issues!!!

I have had to get my GP involved as she actually knows me and knows I havent taken the choice lightly and she has spoken to my consultant her self and put my case across, I received a call from my GP saying I have been granted my section and the procedure will be explained at 36 wks, but she also said there is a huge wave of consultants pushing for VBACs or hugely against ELCS (I think due to costs personally!!) so I think it'l vary from PCT to PCT but read up on teh guidelines and stick to your guns although be aware they can apparently refuse and you are allowed to request another opinion but again they too might say no image

Good luck with getting the decisions you want image