Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Cancer advice

Hi,

I've not been on the forums for a while, well since I had my lo really although I used to spend all day every day on here when I was pregnant.

I have a little girl that's 2 & 1/2, In Nov last year at the age of 25 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I spent 5 days in hospital in Jan this year following surgery and my daughter had my husband, his parents and my parents around her for support. When I came home she was really quiet and wouldnt come near me for days, here behavior became quite bad as well.

The problem I now have is that i need further treatment, I have to go into hospital on tuesday of next week to have something called radioactive iodine treatment - which basicaly makes you radioactive, although i will only be in hospital for 5 days or so because of the nature of the treatment I cant be around around any children for up to 3 weeks.

I have no idea how to prepare my daughter for this, my health visitor has been next to useless as well. I've searched the internet for a childrens book that'd help explain the situation to her but all i can find are ones written for older children that go into too much detail.

I've got no clue what to say to her, when i was in hospital last time we dint tell her anything but she asked when i wasnt there if I'd gone shopping and that was what she was told. but i think this time i need to prepare her better.

Sorry for the long post, I'd really appreciate any advice

Replies

• Firstly hun, sorry to hear you're having to go through this, I hope you respond really well to your treatment.

This isn't something I have ever come across so you're welcome to completely ignore my waffly ideas lol

I think its good to tell her Mummy will be going away for a while. Then she won't be so shocked, and you can chat to her on the phone, and would you be able to do somekind of video conferencing? (like messenger) Maybe you can tell her that Mummy has a mean nasty bug that needs zapping with special medicine. Unfortunately the special medicine makes mummy a bit poorly and she needs special looking after. The very special looking after means that mummy has to go to a special place, (maybe you could compare it to a fairy tale, like going to a magic tower like a princess that is too high for children to get to?) but when the medicine has done its job Daddy can come and rescue mummy from the tower. This might sound a bit daft but how about saying Daddy is waiting for a special key from the postman, and when you can come home a relative could put a big brightly coloured cardboard key through the letterbox and then she will know Daddy can rescue his princess? Its really hard I think to explain and not make it scary to a little person.

Sorry if it sounds all waffly, its me brain storming! If I think of anything else I'll be back image xxx
  • aw just wanted to send you some love snd hope you kick the ass of the cancer.

I think the wee story suggested above is really lovely and would be a great idea

also this may help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/cancer-Childrens-Books/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Cancer&rh=n:69,k:Cancer&page=1

not sure what your looking for exactly but thought I would post it any way x
  • Hi,

Im sorry to hear you are going through this. Just a thought, would it be possible to skype her? or would this be too upsetting for her. I think you need to try and explain that you are going away for a little while. Maybe make sure there are lots of photos of you around the house. If you cant skype could you do some video messages to her before you go into hospital?

I hope everything goes well for you.

• I haven't got any bright ideas on this one, but I do think that the story above is a good one.

I just wanted to say that I hope everything goes well with the treatment, and that you respond well to it.

Good luck, and I hope that your daughter won't be too distressed without you.

sending big hugs your way xxx
  • Hi hun,

I'm sorry you are going through this, I had radio active iodine treatment about 8 years ago and just to let you know it is fine, you wont feel any different xxx

As to your dd, tell her you have to go away for a little while but you will be back to see her soon, skype is a great idea and leave photographs of yourself around her room, above her bed etc...

Good luck with the treatment xxxx