Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2010

10month old sleep probems..any advice appreciated

Firstly some background information. William has pretty much slept through since about 12 weeks (I know we've been v.lucky with that one). At night I could put him down in the cot with his mobile on and with in about 15mins he'd be asleep. His naps on the other hand were all over the place, would only sleep for exactly 30mins then couldn;t get him back to sleep.

This changed at about 6 months and suddenly he was going down for naps well and having between one and a quarter and one and three quarter hours twice a day, and a 30min cat nap at about 4.30pm. However at night he wouldn't go to sleep without his dummy (didn't used to need it), and would wake a a couple of times in the early hours briefly (had to go in and replace dummy). He was still waking and getting up for the day at about 6.30am-7am though (going to sleep at about 7.30pm).

For the last couple of weeks he's been waking a couple of times a few hours after going to sleep in the evening (crying, but if put dummy in usually goes straight off again), and has been waking up earlier and earlier in the morning (between 5.15am-6am and will not go back to sleep). The last few days his naps have gone back to being short again and he's grumpy on and off during the day because of being tired. He is also REALLY difficult to get down to nap during the day/sleep at night. You lie him down and he pulls himself up on the side of the cot. You lie him down again and up he gets again. This goes on for anything between 30-60mins, sometimes longer. He's not usually crying, but just keeps standing up and hasn't learnt to sit down again.

Any advice would be much appreciated (sorry for the v.long post). x

Replies

• Hi sorry you are having problems.

We have just recently had a major breakthrough will Lily's sleeping.

She was in bed with me & hubby in the spare room for months. She is a real fidget & throwing herself round the bed keeping me awake in the process.

As you can imagine at 8 months pregnant I was tearing my hair out & started to wonder how the hell this could continue when the new baby arrived.

Anyway long story short, we decided we would just have to go for it with the 'controlled crying'.

The first night we tried it she cried for 20 mins then that was it! It's been a dream ever since. She sleeps from 8pm to 7am.

I don't want to sound braggish! I also know i've not helped you answer your questions but I just want to say that there is light at the end of the tunnel even when it seems theres no hope.

Hope things get better for you soon xxxx
  • We also tried controlled crying for Sam going to sleep at night and it worked like a charm. But I know its not for everyone and some babies don't handle it well. How often does he nap during the day now? I assume only twice, not three times?

Sam is almost one now, but when he was about 10 months old we went through a tough phase with him waking at night, and then waking at 6am instead of 7am. Could it be teething? I gave him calpol before bed on a few occasions and that helped him be calmer. Is he crawling a lot yet? when they are very active they get more easily tired and sleep better.

I push Sam to sleep in the pram for his day naps (tried CC for naps and it was a dismal failure). So he sleeps twice in the day for a total of about 2.5 to 3 hours. It means I have to walk him in the pram for 5-20 min but I have made peace with it now.

Good luck.
  • Hi, thanks for the replies. I general he's still having 3 naps a day (this is how our day usually goes)

Usually sometime between 5.45am - 6.15am wakes up, I try to get him back to sleep for a bit longer but doesn't always work

7am milk

8am breakfast (usually starting to get tired and grumpy during this)

9am nap (1-2hrs)

12pm lunch (sometimes getting grumpy and tired during this depending on how long nap was in morning)

1pm nap (1-1.5hrs)

3pm milk

4.30pm (ish) short nap (30mins)

5pm tea

7pm milk and bed (usually getting tired by 6.30pm but won't drink much milk if tried to put to bed at this time)

The last couple of days his going down for naps has been a bit better, and the evenings I've been getting fed up of constantly lying him back down again so I've left him for a few mins (no more than 5 mins as otherwise he gets to the point of crying where he's a soggy mess and is breath holding), then my husband goes upstairs and seems to manage to get him to sleep within about 10 minutes...so annoying sometimes image
  • Unfortunately William is no the sort of baby that will just fall asleep where ever. He has to be in his cot (or in motion in the pushchair or car seat...but will only sleep for a maximum 30 minutes like this), and it be semi-dark. He just fights it otherwise...like today he's only had 50 minutes sleep all day and was totally shattered abd was falling asleep in the changing table while I was trying to brush his teeth. x