Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

ELCS after EMCS

Hi all, Im Sarah Mum to two year old Holly. I found out at the weekend that Im pregnant again image

Now I had a horrific labour with Holly and ended up with a EMCS. Does anybody know if I will get offered a section or will I have to VBAC?

Thanks!

Replies

• I found I was asked during my second pregnancy if id thought about the birth, and at the time, said Id like a vbac, but at 36weeks changed my mind and asked for a section and they ok'd it within a hour and had it booked. dont be afraid to say you want a section, tho some consultants to try and talk you out of it. Have a H&H 9 months xx
  • Thanks for the reply. I am going to be honest from the start and say I want a section!
  • Hi, it totally depends why you had a emcs the first time as to weather they will want you to have an elcs or a vbac, It must be off putting when you have had a bad labour but i would suggest finding out exactly what happened with your first before you decide.

I had an emcs and then went on to have an elcs with my second and whilst its nice to be able to set the date and have no pain etc, the recovery is hard especially when you have a 2 year old to run around after, my little girl turned 2 the day i came out of hospital with my second and if i wasnt so lucky to have the family i do (especially a mum who doesnt work) i dont know if i could have coped!!

Congratulations and good luck whatever you decide x
  • Hiya - I had an emcs after a failed induction with DD in April last year and knew with this one that I wanted an elcs. I was prepared to really have to argue my case but my consultant okay'ed it at my first appt and I go back on Aug 3rd to get my date. I think it just depends on your hospital and consultant as to how insistent they are that you at least discuss / consider a VBAC.

Good luck x
  • u always have the choice if u've had a previous cs... i had emcs with ds, booked in for vbac, changed my mind and had an elective cs... had to fight a little bit for it, but only because i'd already said vbac, if i'd gone straight in with elcs they'd have been fine, but my consultant was trying to get me to stick with vbac (he was trainee)... i refused, and eventually he gave in...got my elcs... if they do push for vbac and u don't wabt it, jsut mention the risk of scar rupture (0.5% chance.. 1 in 200) asmall but very real risk... they cant force vbac cos if something were to go wrong and u'd requested cs u could sue and vice versa, if u wanted vbac and they forced cs.... it's ur baby, ur say x
  • Thanks ladies I appreciate all the replies. I really dont know what to do for the best my head says push for an elcs but Im worried about recovery and having a 2 year old. My Mum is great and doesnt work and I know she would be a fantastic support but my hubby works very long hours and probably wont really be around to help when shes not here. Arghh I dont know I just wish I had a vbac first time round and then I would just have another one and that would be that!

JoJoDyson do you think its worth requesting my hosptial records and do my homework before seeing midwife?

xx
  • Hi, unlike you I had a natural delivery with my DD but because my labour was long it was discussed at my booking in appt this time around and the option of ELC was mentioned if I wanted to take it. I am hoping to have another natural birth though as recovery is generally faster (just praying this one goes a lot faster) and again don't know what I'd do having to recover in hospital whilst DH is home looking after DD without me (I'd worry myself stupid probably).
  • I know its a real worry. My DD ia mummys girl and would miss me if I ended up staying in after a section. I know she would be ok with my Mum but I know I shall end up worrying myself daft, like you say whilst Im not at home. Obviously vbac would be ideal as regardd recovery and getting back home but Im not sure its even an option after last time.

xx
  • Hi, speak to your midwife about someone going through the noted with you who you can discuss it with, dont think it would of helped me if i just looked at them myself (prob would not of understood the doctors scribbles lol)

I know its a really hard decision, i have only made my mind up for definate in the last couple of weeks and i am 33 weeks now! Just remember nothing is set in stone so dont worry yourself about it now, even if you change your mind a couple of weeks before its not too late.

If your anything like me I want a natural birth and if you got to choose and knew it would definatly happen then there wouldnt even be a debate, its just the thought of going through the whole labour again and then ending up with an emergency anyway, but as my notes made it clear that the reason for emergency was actually baby getting stuck in a funny position its not something thats likely to happen again.....also they will watch you very closely and i dont think they would let you go through a long/horrid labour again so if it did end up being another emcs it would prob be more relaxed and less emergency one if that makes sense!

I am off to anesthetic review and cons app in a couple of hours so knowing my luck now i have decided a deffo vbac i bet something has changed and they say no lol!!
  • Good luck with your appointment, Keep us posted x
  • Hi Ladies,

Sorry to GC, I'm nbooked in for a c-section tomorrow as the baby is breech. This is my first baby so have no previous expreience. Is the recovery really that bad?? A few people have said it's not necessarily painful just uncomfortable and annoying that you can't lift/carry and drive. I don't know if they are just trying to make me feel better though!

I will probably go through all this worry and get there tomorrow to find that the baby has turned!
  • Hi there.

Just wanted to add that it also depends on your primary care trust.

When I went for my booking in appointment I was told I would have an option as I'd had such a bad time/emergency section the first time round. When I went back for my 16 week appointment I was told that the rules had changed and there was no longer any elective sections!! We have to go vbac unless something goes wrong. Not very happy about it but seems there's nothing we can do.

Hope you have the option!
  • i didnt have any problems with recovery, was out after 2 days and walking to the local shops with push chair after 4 days, dont get me wrong it was sore but with regular pain killers it was ok. i was driving after 4 weeks with gp and insurance approval, although was told i wouldnt drive for 6 weeks, everyone was happy. Dont worry or stress over it, enjoy meeting your baby. x
  • Hi! My section was great!

I had no pain at all, just slightly tender. I had my daughter at lunch time and once the epidural wore off a few hours later I was walking albeit slowly!

I do remember over doing it thought and I changed the duvet a couple of days after coming home and I thought Id burst my scar open but thankfully it was fine so take it easy and enjoy your baby x
  • Hi there.

Just wanted to add that it also depends on your primary care trust.

When I went for my booking in appointment I was told I would have an option as I'd had such a bad time/emergency section the first time round. When I went back for my 16 week appointment I was told that the rules had changed and there was no longer any elective sections!! We have to go vbac unless something goes wrong. Not very happy about it but seems there's nothing we can do.

Hope you have the option!

Gosh thats awful to change the policy on you like that, but I suppose if you have a successful VBAC you will be really pleased. Can I ask what PCT you are under?
  • Not sure of the name of the pct but the hospital is queen Charlotte & Chelsea. Great hospital but some things they do are very strange....

We'll just need to see how it goes I guess!
  • Jop84 don't let us worry you, the recovery isn't that bad at all especially when it's your first baby, you do have to do alot less than usual which when you have 1 you can sleep when baby does and take it easy etc but when you have a 3 yo and a 5 yo you gotta keep going n still got all the school/nursery runs to do etc, that's my worry and just think I will be back to normal alot quicker with a vbac.. X

hope all goes well with you, am sure it will image
  • Jop84, previous poster is right, please dont be put off by us! My section was a very positive experience, Im only questioning a second one as I have a 2 year old and worry about her. When she was born we used to lie in bed together, breast feeding and Id drift off to sleep when she did. It was wonderful looking back especially as my mum used to come round and do all the housework and cooking! This time around things will be different but with a 1st baby it will all be fine Im sure!

xx