Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

stitches

Any body had to have stitches, just recovering. had them in yesterday but really struggling to sit down... anyone know how long they normally take to heal.

xxxxXxxxx

Replies

• I had to have stitches on a 3rd degree tear after DD. They should be the dissolvable type and should ideally be starting to dissolve/dissolved by the time you are due your 6wk follow up appt. In the meantime, I found it more comfy to sit wearing an extra maternity pad for cushion. My friend used a ring designed for haemorroids to sit on. Warm showers are also a nice way to give some relief. Best wishes and take things easy.
  • I had stitches when I had a 2nd degree tear with my DS. Try some lavender oil in your bath, it helps with the healing. Another tip I was given was to dry your bits with a hairdryer on cool setting. It sounds weird but it works and I healed quite quickly. I'd also second KazzieM's tip of wearing an extra maternity pad for comfort - I did this too and it does help. Hope you're feeling more comfortable soon xx
  • I had stitches when I had a 2nd degree tear with my DS. Like the other ladies have said, I found having an extra pad on helped a bit. Also I found that once I started to do pelvic floor exercises again then they did start to feel better. Warm bath every morning also helped. It will be sore for a while but it will get better gradually. My stitches (and the whole area down there) were pretty much ok by about 5 weeks, and I would say completely back to normal by about 9 weeks.

xx
  • I had a 2nd degree tear with my son and I'd say it was definitely healed by my 6week check. I was recommended taking arnica to speed up the healing process. Not sure if it did make any difference, but (like I kept telling my hubby) after squeezing another person out of your bits you'll happily try just about anything to make yourself more comfortable and get back to normal asap!

I would also recommend leaning forward a bit when you go to the loo and holding your old maternity pad over the stitches.

• I had stitches with my DD and was in so much pain each time i went to the loo, sorry for TMI, but the nurse told me to use witchhazel and it really did help. Im praying I dont need stitches this time haha xx
  • i had ALOT of stitches following my first 2 deliveries, inside and out! i put alot of salt in my bath water to prevent infection and a tip my mw gave me was to soak a maternity pad in water and put it in the freezer then into your knickers! i found that helpful if a bit strange!

also dose up on painkillers.
  • I had them, mine took nearly 6 weeks to heal and 8-10 to be completely pain free.

I was advised to get a special salt thing (used for after-op care too) to but in my bath to help the healing process.

It was just over 3 years ago now though so I can't remember the exact name unfortunately.