Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Monthly midwife web clinic with PB's Nikki Khan. Tues 9th Aug, from 12-1pm

Prima Baby's resident midwife, Nikki Khan is returning to host a webchat here on Tuesday 9th August between 12-1pm.

An expert midwife for the past decade, Nikki will advise on all areas of pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn babies.

Don't worry if you can't make the time and date, post your question now and Nikki will answer as many queries on the day as possible.

Replies

• I had an ectopic pregnancy in February this year I have just found out I am pregnant again and I am waiting to see if this pregnancy is ectopic too. What is the likelihood of this? My last ectopic was treated with methotrexate injections. I am so scared that this pregnancy is ectopic too I have had no real symptoms so far of ectopic I have however felt a tightness in the same side my last ectopic was is this a sign of a recurrent ectopic pregnancy?

Thanks for any advice.

LOU
  • Hi,

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I have suffered with Depression as a teenager and a brief episode managed well with meds in May 2010. With both episodes I suffered panic attacks. These only happened during the two episodes of depression. Both my pregnancies have been fine-no depression at all.

I had a nasty panic earlier today, Im worrying alot about money, my relationship with my partner and being so tired etc feeling guilty about not playing with the kids taking them out for the day etc. Will these panic attacks keep happening? Are they dangerous for baby? Im going to see midwife in 3 weeks for 16 week check up but dont know what to do in the meantime.

Sorry to ramble on not really sure if I make any sense? xx
  • Hi

My name is Nikki Khan and I am Prima Baby's Expert Midwife and am here or the next hour or so to answer any questions you may have on pregnancy and birth, newborns and maternity rights.

I am waiting for your questions!

Nikki
  • Hi,

I am pretty sure I ovulated on day 8 of cycle (due to egg white consistancy of secretions), I had intercourse on day 8, from day 10/11 I have had sore breasts, I am now on day 20 and symptoms still the same. Symptons seem much worse at night...any thoughts?
  • Hi pink_star01

I can understand how concerned you must be and it is likley that for reassurance you will be recommended by your GP to have an early scan depending on your gestation as statistics show the risk of recurrence is between 7% to 15%.

Ectopics occur between 6 to 10 weeks gestaion, so depending on your gestation you may already be outside of those limits which is reassurring. There are always slight twinges in early pregnancy but if they are associated with bleeding you should seek medical advice. However due to your previous history, if you are concerned see your GP about an early scan which will help alleviate your worries!

Good luck!

Nikki
  • Hi LadyBump3

You have got a lot of concerns at the moment and need some support. I agree 3 weeks is a long time to wait to talk to someone, so can you approach your GP & explain your previous history? It is likley that he could refer you for early counselling that will give you someone to talk through your concerns. It may well also be worthwhile ensuring you are receiving all the maternity benefits you are due and are getting any financial assistance you need. You may find this website helpful:-

www.direct.gov.uk

The panic attacks are not harmful to the baby and they are also not indicating that you are going to become depressed in this pregnancy so please be positive about this! You need some guidance and support from your GP and also an opportunity to have some counselling would be helpful.

If possible make sure you do not get overtired as this can always make things worse and accept any offers of help from family and friends. As you are coming into your second trimester now, the tiredness should start to improve hopefully.

Look after yourself...

Nikki
  • Hi Leannedancer

Once you know your ovulation date (day 8 of your cycle in your case), you are most fertile the day before, during and the day after. It is normally as early as 1-2 weeks after conception when you might notice a difference in your breasts, but two days after conception is quite early. However, as your symptoms of breast tenderness have continued it may be worthwhile doing a pregnancy test to confirm if you are pregnant or not. If you are not sure when your next period is due, you can do a pregnancy test 21 days after you had intercourse, so a pregnancy test in a week's time would be ideal and give you an answer one way or the other!

Good luck!

Nikki
  • Hi ClairabelB

A haematoma is the name given to a collection of blood wherever it may be in the body. It may be that you have a chorionic hematoma which is the pooling of blood between the embryo and the uterine wall. It can occur in about 3% of pregnancies and is thought to be the most common cause of first trimester bleeding. The hematoma is considered small if it is under 20% of the gestational sac size and large if over 50% of the size and usually reduces as the pregnancy progresses. However the haematoma may also be a result of an implantation bleed that can often show up as a hematoma on early scan as it did in your case. This type of haematoma should also slowly disappear but scans will monitor this as the pregnancy progresses. Either way your concerns are understandable as this is a very precious pregnancy so if the bleeding increases or continues to persist you should again seek medical advice especially if it is associated with abdominal discomfort.

Try talking to your GP; he may be able to give you further advice or reassurance.

Nikki
  • Hi everyone

I will be here for another hour or so if anyone has any further questions or needs any further advice!

Nikki
  • Hi

I am 35 and just over 16 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have just had a blood test for downs. I had a nuchal scan at 12 weeks but the baby was in the wrong position and they couldn't measure accurately so told me my only other option was to have the 16 week blood test which I had yesterday.

The only thing is that no one seems to be able to tell me the difference between the two tests, whether the risk factor is as accurate for both and what the difference is between the two tests? The midwife seemed none the wiser and could only tell me that the outcome would be fairly similar.

Can you help and shed a bit more light on the subject for me?

Thanks
  • Hi natwah

The 16 week blood test you had is known as second trimester screening and is based on blood tests carried out between 15 weeks and 20 weeks of pregnancy. These tests measure four specific -markers' in your blood which include hCG (human chorionic gondadotrophin); oestriol; alpha fetoprotein & inhibin A. There are certain variations which include i) the double test which measures two markers ii) the triple test which measures three markers or iii) the quadruple test which measures all four markers . If you are carrying a Down's syndrome baby you will have higher blood levels of hCG and inhibin A, and lower levels of AFP and oestriol. With regards to detection rates, the second trimester screening is not as good at detection as the first trimester screening with the quadruple test detecting only 76% of those babies with Down's syndrome and the double test only detecting 59%. You would need to know which type of second trimester screening you had, so check with your midwife first , but it is likley to be the quadruple test as this is the most accurate of the second trimester screening.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer!

Nikki
  • Thank you to all those pregnant mums who posted questions.

I am signing off now and please feel free to contact me by email via my website on www.nikkikhan.co.uk if you have any further questions or by telephone through my Greatvine advice number.

Otherwise see you next month for the next webclinic

Good luck to everyone!

Nikki x