Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Breast feeding and antidepressants

Hi! I just wondered if anyone has any views/opinions/taken antidepressants whilst breastfeeding? I have been diagnosed with severe post natal depression. Stopping feeding is not an option but I don't know much about these drugs. I am going to see my GP tomorrow and my HV thinks I will be given something and needs it. I am so worried. I know I could put this in the PND forum but I wanted to know if anyone else who had breast feed and taken something x

Replies

• Hi, I also had PND and took sertraline whilst breastfeeding, I never had any problems with them except for making me feel very tired but this was solved by taking them in the evening. My daughter self weaned at 8 months so I was taking them for pretty much the whole time I fed her.

I have absolutely no regrets about taking them, my daughter is now a happy active 18 month old.

I know you probably feel awful right now but I promise you it will get better, everything takes time but you'll start having more good days than bad days.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Take care

xxx
  • Hi! Thanks for your reply. It was good to hear someones view who has been there. My HV and GP although good don't really understand how I feel and I wanted to speak with someone who does. I am pleased you are feeling better. If it wasn't for my 4 year old I wouldn't even consider it, but I feel she is really suffering and I don't want her to be sad and I think that she is. My GP wanted me to take something yesterday but I said no. I came away with nothing but feel worse today. I have made an appointment for Friday to discuss it. Thank you for your help, pleased you are well x
  • Hi, only just seen your reply, hope your appointment went well on friday and you start to feel better soon. If you have been prescribed anti-d's its worth bearing in mind that some take a while to kick in, I was told 2 weeks but it was at least 4-6 weeks before I felt the full effect of them, once they started working they were great and helped me to feel 'level' but not out of it if you know what I mean.

I hope everything starts to pick up quickly for you, if you ever want someone to chat to I'm normally in the Jan 2010 forum!

Take care

xxx