Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Midwife webchat clinic, Thursday 8th September, from 12pm

Prima Baby's resident midwife, Nikki Khan will be hosting a webchat here on Thursday 8th September, between 12-1pm.

An expert midwife for the past decade, Nikki will advise on all areas of pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn babies.

For more information about Nikki Khan cut and paste the following link into your browser bar: http://tinyurl.com/3gnfmx2

Don't worry if you can't make the time and date, post your question now and Nikki will answer as many queries on the day as possible.

Replies

• Hi Nikki,

I suffered a MMC in June (blighted Ovum) and have just found out i'm pregnant again.

Is it possibly that this can occur again?

Am I at a higher risk?

I'm so frightened.

Many Thanks
  • I have an 8month old daughter whom I am still breastfeeding and we would like to try for another baby in January next year (when my daughter turns 1) to allow for a 2 year age gap between siblings. I have an IUD (the hormone one) which I am seeing the GP about next week to discuss having it removed ASAP. I intend continuing with breastfeeding my daughter until she is 1 (possibly a bit longer if she still wants to as we are doing Baby-led weaning with her). I have heard that it is very unlikely that I will get pregnant whilst still breastfeeding, is this true? Do you think it'll affect my chances of conceiving a second? Would be grateful for your advice.

Many thanks
  • Hi

My name is Nikki Khan and I am Prima Baby's Expert Midwife and am here for the next hour or so to answer any questions you may have on pregnancy and birth, newborns and maternity rights.

I am waiting for your questions and will be live from 12!

Nikki
  • Dear Boopseek

I can understand that you must be worried of this happening again. However, most women go on to have a successful pregnancy after a first miscarriage as it is thought that most early miscarriages are caused by a 'one-off' chromosome fault, and rarely occurs again. However,I would recommend you have an early scan to reassure you. Your GP may well have already advised you of this . It would be better to wait until you are about 7 or 8 weeks pregnant before you have your scan so the heartbeat can be seen and the pregnancy is noted to be -viable'. A blighted ovum occurs when an egg is fertilised by a sperm, the cells begin dividing, some becoming the embryo and some the placenta and membranes. However sometimes the cells forming the embryo fail due to such a'one off ' chromosome fault, but the cells making the placenta keep on growing and pregnancy hormones continue to be produced but the embryo is not present.

Good luck this time around & be positive!

Nikki
  • Hi Nikki,

I'm 19+1 and am really uncomfortable underneath my bump and around the sides. It's an achy feeling and my bump feels heavy all the time. Is this just everything stretching and growing?

also I've been feeling the baby since around 15 weeks but not regularly, how many kicks / movements a day should I be feeling at the moment?

Thanks,
  • Dear xJessica'sMummyx

Breastfeeding is known as the best natural contraception if fully breastfeeding as it suppresses ovulation. However if you are starting to wean your little one it is likley that your milk supply may already be starting to reduce and you may start to ovulate again as you have to wait for your periods to start again & your menstrual cycle is more likely to return once your baby has been weaned. Once you are introducing solids, breastfeeding is not believed to be a very effective form of birth control so fingers crossed and good luck. Be prepared though it can take your body a while to adapt to ovulating again so be patient!

Nikki
  • Dear Cas1980UK

Unfortunately you are experiencing 'round ligament' pain which is common in the second trimester as the uterus expands and the ligaments supporting your uterus stretch to accommodate your growing child. It is extremely uncomfortable and if this is your first baby it will be the first time your uterus has had to stretch like this! The pain can be particularly uncomfortable when you shift your position in a chair or at the end of an active day and can be an indicator from your body to slow down a little, so listen to your body! However, if the pain continues even when you're resting or becomes severe and constant seek medical advice.

Fetal movements at this gestation are quite subtle and as long as they are present and your baby is active there is no need to start counting the movements.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy & remember listen to your body!

Nikki
  • Thank you to all those pregnant mums who posted questions.

I am signing off now and please feel free to contact me by email via my website on www.nikkikhan.co.uk if you have any further questions or by telephone through my Greatvine advice number.

Good luck !

Nikki x
  • Big Babyexpert thanks to Nikki Khan for answering everyone's Qs this lunchtime. She'll be back early in October for another web chat. If you'd like Nikki to answer a query directly visit her Greatvine page here:

http://www.babyexpert.com/new-mum/baby-bonding/talk-with-midwife-nikki-khan?click=main_sr

Thanks Web Ed