Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Midwife webchat clinic with PB's Nikki Khan, Wednesday 14th December, 12-1pm

Prima Baby's resident midwife, Nikki Khan will be hosting a webchat here on Wednesday 14th December, between 12-1pm.

An expert midwife for the past decade, Nikki will advise on all areas of pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn babies.

For more information about Nikki Khan cut and paste the following link into your browser bar: http://tinyurl.com/3gnfmx2

Don't worry if you can't make the time and date, post your question now and Nikki will answer as many queries on the day as possible.

Replies

• Hi Nikki

My question - I'm 35 weeks pregnant and my baby is Frank breech.

My midwife didn't mention this but I read online that some babies go into breech position because they have hip problems - how concerned should I be?

Look forward to answer to this question

Thanks

Southern belle
  • Hello everyone

My name is Nikki Khan and I am Prima Baby's Expert Midwife and am here to help alleviate any concerns you may have about pregnancy and childbirth over the next hour.

So am awaiting your questions and looking forward to chatting with you!

Nikki
  • Hi Nikki. Just thought I'd pop a couple of questions on, on behalf of all our busy, pregnant mums2be!

Lots of pregnant women will be travelling over the Xmas holidays, do you have any tips for staying comfortable on a long car (or plane) journey? Do pregnant women need a special seat belt, and what advice would you give for 'comfort' stop frequency!

Also, can you remind us what the advice is for foods to avoid in pregnancy, and what are the 'rules' on alcohol? Thanks, Web Ed
  • Hi Southern Belle

The term -frank breech' means your baby's bottom is coming first, with his or her legs bending at the hip & extending at the knees so the feet are near the ears). Frank breech position also is thought to have the most favourable outcomes in vaginal birth, but if this is your first baby it is likley that you will be advised to have an elective caesarean section. With regards to hip problems, congenital hip problems are more common in breech babies and you are correct in thinking this is why some babies are breech in the first place, but the paediatrician will be aware of this and examine your baby fully before you are discharged. If a hip -click' is felt which can indicate a hip problem, the paediatrician will usually obtain a hip ultrasound to assess the hip joint and follow up as an outpatient, but non-surgical treatment is often all that is required.

Hope that clarifies it better for you...

Nikki
  • Hi Nikki,

you helped me a few weeks ago with a question about morning seickness. Thanks so much for your advice, I'm feeling much better now and starting to get excited!

Just a quickie... I reeallllly want to tell people about my good news now but I'm only about 7 weeks in though and I know people say not to say anything until you reach the second trimester but I think it would make a lovely announcement on xmas day for my family. What do you think? Is there really a big risk in the first months?

• Hi Web Ed

Everyone is trying to get away to visit relatives over Xmas, & ideally it would be advised, if you are heavily pregnant to get visitors to come to you!

However if you are travelling on a long car journey you need to have several toilet and stretching stops as due to the hormone progesterone the blood flow to your legs can be sluggish and you can be more prone to clots in your legs if you are not active. Take a break from driving at least every 90 minutes, if not every hour! If your ankles do tend to get swollen it may be helpful to wear some compression stockings which can help alleviate the discomfort of swollen ankles. Also keep the blood flow going by doing circular ankle movements & stretches whilst in the passenger seat of the car.

If sitting for long periods gives you backache, try putting a cushion or wedge in the small of your back in the seat in the car.

Remember if your bump is quite big it is advisable to let someone else drive as your bump may be uncomfortable being too close to the steering wheel.

Another tip is always carry your maternity hand held notes with you, so if you do need to go to hospital as an emergency, you have all your maternity notes with you!

Regular small snacks and lots of drinks are also handy to stop your blood sugars dropping so eating little and often helps! Also loose fitting clothes and flat comfortable shoes are a must as the last thing you want to feel is restricted in tight waistbands in a car seat!

Finally, always make sure your mobile phone is fully charged especially if you are travelling alone and that someone knows where you are going!

Nikki
  • Hi Web Ed

With regards to seat belts they are a must, even when pregnant I am afraid, however uncomfortable they may feel!

The three-point seat belt with a lap belt and diagonal strap is the safest option, especially if you are involved in a collision and most cars are fitted with these.

The lap portion part of the seat belt fits across your thighs and hips, and under your bump, not across the bump, as this pressure on your bump could cause problems with the placenta and harm your baby. The diagonal shoulder part of the seat belt should lie over your collarbone and between your breasts.

Hope that helps!

Nikki
  • Hi,

Just after some advice. I am 3 days late, have taken 5 tests (1 digital) digital and a normal one came back negative and 3 normal ones came back with a VERY faint line!!!

Would you say I'm expecting?? Thank you
  • Hi Nikki,

This is my 2nd pregnancy, my 1st was problem free, this time i've got 'period pain' like cramps daily - i'm now 17+1. Please can you tell me what these cramps/pains could be a sign of.

Thank You
  • Hi all,

Thanks for all your questions to Nikki so far.

Nikki will be back later this afternoon to answer the rest of your questions. If you have any more questions for her in the meantime, please do post them and she'll do her best to get back to you.

Thanks!

Babyexpert
  • Hi Nikki

I had an emerg c action in 2009

I am nearly 36 weeks preg and baby is Frank breech. I've been booked for c section at 39weeks

Howeer I am now wondering why I can't go for a vbac even though baby is breech?

What is the danger and risk of having breech baby delivered normally? Is the risk high or low?

I've been told all midwives are trained to deliver breech babies so I'm disappointed at having to have another c sction

Thanks . Look forward to ur reply

Sb
  • Hi LaLalove 19

I can totally understand your excitement & the decision is definitely up to you. Most women wait till they are about 12 weeks to tell people they know but many tell close family members earlier than that. There is a risk of miscarriage in the first trimester, which is why many -mums to be' leave it till the second trimester but I do understand the temptation for an announcement on Christmas Day!

So good luck I am sure you will make the right decision!

Nikki
  • Dear KR83

It is sometimes difficult to tell so early on, although some pregnancy test are quite accurate at such an early stage. However, sometimes if you do a pregnancy test too early, you could be pregnant, but there may not be enough HCG in your body to give a positive test result. When you are first pregnant, large quantities of the pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gondadotrophin (HCG) are produced and it is these hormone levels that are tested for in the urine. These tests vary in how soon they can detect the level of HCG is present, so check the pack first.

Also, if your periods are irregular, this can affect the result of the test.

Another hint is avoid drinking too much fluid before doing the test as this can dilute the level of HCG in your urine, creating a false negative result.

On a final note it is normally about 2 weeks after conception that the level of HCG is detectable in a urine sample to confirm pregnancy, so that may help your calculations!

So perhaps wait another week and then try again!

Good luck!

Nikki
  • Hi Baby_PrincessIOM

It is difficult to fully assess what these pains are but if they persist, and especially if they are associated with any vaginal bleeding you should seek medical help.

However, there are many aches and pains in pregnancy connected with the stretching of the ligaments, especially in the second trimester and this can be quite uncomfortable and are sometimes an indicator to slow down, so listen to your body!!

These ligament pains normally subside when you are resting, but if the pain persists, see your midwife who can help to reassure you & put your mind at rest.

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy!

Nikki
  • Dear SouthernBelleuk2

As you have already had a caesarean section, it is unlikely with a breech baby this time, that your Obstetrician would recommend a VBAC, although some Hospitals may do , so it may be worth discussing this further with your Obstetrician as to whether he/she would agree to this.

Midwives are taught how to undertake breech deliveries but as most breech babies are delivered by caesarean section now; their skills may not always be updated.

The ultimate outcome has to be the safe delivery of your baby and your safety and this is paramount in the forefront of your health providers mind. So bear this in mind and discuss any concerns with your midwife who hopefully should help to reassure you and assist you with your decision.

Good luck

Nikki
  • Thank you to everyone for all your questions.

Am signing off now and wish you all good luck in your pregnancies and wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and see you in 2012!

Check out my website for Intensive Antenatal Classes starting in February 2012.

www.nikkikhan.co.uk

Nikki x