Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 2012

How do you cope?

Hi all,

I just want to know if I'm being a complete wimp or not! Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful to be in this position, it took us 3 years to get here! But I just feel totally exhausted.

I was starting to feel better, less nausea anyway, but I've had a cold all weekend and its really drained me- spent most of Sat &Sun in bed! I can't stand the thought of going back into work tomorrow.

Does everyone else just soldier through until 12 weeks? I can't think of anyone I know who called in sick to work during the first 12 weeks, apart from those who had horrendous sickness when they couldn't physically go to work. I'm just exhausted. Should I just give myself a talking to or listen to my body and rest?

xxx

Replies

• Hi Windy,

So sorry to hear you feel so rubbish! I don't think you are being a wimp at all. Sme people sail through their pregnancies and some struggle. I'm a struggler myself. Would it be the end of the world to take a couple of days off? I'm not working this pregnancy but in my first I took days off when I needed to. I was exhausted and nauseas all the time. I did feel a bit guilty but to be honest in the grand scheme of things, no one can remember and it's not a big deal.

Take a couple of days off and be good to yourself, you are cooking another human being and looking after yourself and baby is much more important than dragging yourself into work. Will anyone thank you for it?? I know you do a very important job but I would think they would cope for a couple of days.

Xxx
  • I agree - look after yourself xx

I have been to work today, but have managed to put my back out!! Possibly a combination of being constipated plus light lifting, driving and running a new parent / toddler session! I have never had back ache like this and can hardly sit or lie down. I've not told work yet, and have appointments booked for tomorrow, but think I will need to stay off, if it is like this???

LL
  • Oh you poor thing! Definitely listen to your body Windy!

I'd take a day or two off, make sure you keep your fluids up and remember LO will get all the nutrients it needs.

I hope you feel better soon xx
  • Thanks guys,

I'm going to try going into work, as I know we're busy and it will stress out my boss trying to find cover for me. I feel bad as there are 3 nurses there, but I'm the only full time and 2 of us are pregnant!

But I will ask if I can go home early to get some sleep.

Maybe I will feel better in the morning?

One good thing about being bunged up is that I can smell a lot less and so feel less nauseaous! But I'm eating a lot less too. Hope no one else catches this bug xx
  • It does get better in second trimester! In fact I had forgotten about this part by the end of my last pregnancy. Hang in there and take care of yourself!
  • I felt even worse in the morning! I went to work, but got sent home. Fortunately the other pregnant nurse is 18 weeks, so not feeling so bad! Mind you, I could manage the sickness, its the complete exhaustion I can't take.

I've had my appointments through for dating scan and booking-in this moorning, so I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! 3 weeks yeasterday til I get to see my baby again (FC!)

xx
  • hello ladies,

Some hope for you Windy...

i'm 10 1/2 weeks now and for the last week i have felt alot less tired.. dont get me wrong i could still nap for england nowif given the chance but for me weeks 7, 8 and 9 i was shattered after a walk up the stairs! I had some time off work and luckily then the xmas break but honestly i was so tired and had no energy at all. I was waking up abut 9am and napping for about 2 hours in the day and was ready for bed by 8ish. Didnt get anything done.

Feel like i have more energy now.. and nausea subsided too abit. Luckily i havent actually been sick.. just felt queasy most morning and before bed but i only get it for about 15 minutes now.

Have my midwife appointment on friday and scan the following Wednesday. cant wait!

Cant believe im 10 weeks plus.. starting to feel real now. image