Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

17 month girl not fond of meals

My 17 month daughter will hardly touch her tea at night. But if we put a bowl of chips down for her she will go nuts! She will take a few small mouthfulls then push my hand away and say 'all done'. She is healthy and all that i hope this is just a phase cause its very annoyning.

Replies

• Options
    my girlie is similar, she has a thing for chips at the moment (16 months)

she does eat everything else usually, just sometimes shes a bit fussy, im not too worried yet, theyre still only young and developing their tastes.

can u do things like homemade chips which are slightly healthier?
  • Options
    My LO is 23 months now I recall a phase of not eating dinner at around 17 months. It was a independence think 'hey look I can say no'!! I've found a few staples that she will eat e.g. omlette, pasta with peas and cream cheese that keep her going. Sometime I turn the meals around as well i.e. dinner at lunchtime and a lighter meal at tea - that helps.

Have you tried being sneaky and making parsnip or carrot (crisps)? Use a potato peeler to make slices and roast them in the oven covered in a little olive oil.
  • Options
    I posted this topic wrong... she is not 17 months but 29. I was a year behind lol!
  • Options
    That makes more sense to me Macca. I have a 17 month old and a 38 month old.

My daughter would eat absolutely anything at 17 month old - well from 6 months until about 2.5 years (about where you are now) and then became much more fussy. I think it's just a phase but I don't believe in pushing food. She eats pasta, mashed potato, chips or rice with fish fingers, chicken or egg and either peas & corn, cucumber or baked beans. That's about it TBH except for puddings, cereal and fruit. However she eats a much wider range of foods at nursery so I don't worry too much. She'll start to eat more soon, I think most children do. I don't see it as an eating disorder and always tell her she doesn't need to eat if she doesn't want to as I don't want simple toddler fussiness to turn into one.

Just continue to offer food. I wouldn't put chips down every night, she won't starve if she misses one meal especially if her main meal is at lunch. In fact Abby often just has a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast at tea if she's had a big lunch - unlike my son who will eat a small horse 3x day if I let him. image

H xx