Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Hi ladies,

I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone had any advice on conception. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive now for about 2 years. I have a 12 year old son from a previous relationship and my husband has two children from a previous relaitonship, so I know that we were both fertile previously in our lives. He is 29 and I am 33. We have both quit smoking and have cut out drinking in the last couple of month's to help us conceive but nothing has happened as of yet. I used ovulation tests last month but that didn't work either.

I had a pelvic scan done about 18 months ago, which showed everything to be fine, but I do suffer with very heavy bad periods.

Can anyone offer any advice on what could increase our chances?

Replies

• Have you been taking folic acid hun? And have you tried products such as.preseed? I have no experience of preseed but many ladies on here do... Think some of the other ladies will be able to give better advise than me but ill keep fc for your Bfp very soon x
  • Hi, thank you for replying.. I haven't been taking folic acid, but will definitely invest in some, every little helps. Not sure what preseed is, will investigate! I am living in hope! x

• If you have regular cycles but the ovulations sticks aren't working, I had the same problem but the clearblue fertility monitor picked up my ovulation no problem. You can pick them up off ebay for around £30-£40.
    http://www.clearblue.com/uk/clearblue-fertility-monitor.php

Unfortunatley it hasn't helped us as we have a male factor problem, but have seen several ladies get their BFP on here thanks to one!

• will second the fertility monitor - my cycles were all over the place and could never pinpoint ovulation on normal ovulation sticks. its expensive but worth it if you are struggleing to conceive, you can buy 2nd hand on ebay too. it picked up me ovulating every cycle so at least i knew we were making the most of every opportunity, also knew exactly how long my phase was from ovulation to getting a period so i didnt waste money on tests - i knew the exact day it would show up bfp x