Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Midwife web clinic with Nikki Khan, Monday 30th April, 3-4pm

Prima Baby's resident midwife, Nikki Khan, will be hosting a webchat here on Monday 30th April, between 3-4pm.

An expert midwife for the past decade, Nikki will advise on all areas of pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn babies.

Don't worry if you can't make the time and date, post your question now and Nikki will answer as many queries on the day as possible.

Replies

• I have a factor VII blood deficiency and whilst my doctor told me I need to tell my midwife about this at my booking in appointment, she didn't give any other advice. I have done the dreaded 'googling' and am now terrified!!

My symptoms have only ever been long menstrual cycles when they first started (which were corrected when I went on Pill at 15) and very easy bruising. I came off Pill in May last year and had 28 day cycles so they seemed to have 'corrected' themselves over the years (I'm 32).

I would like to give birth at a birthing centre attached to a main hospital but am worried i now won't be allowed.

Realise this is a random query but hope you can help?!

P.S. I won't be available for the online chat but perhaps you can reply here or email me?

Thank you x

• Me again! Lol! Sorry, this time it's a legal rights one! image My work/office close between Xmas & New Year every year and the extra 3 days off are in addition to our 20 days a year & bank holidays. I am due beginning of December so will be on my first 6 weeks' 90% pay at that time. I am intending of adding that week to the start of my maternity leave (ie. leave work 3rd week November, maternity leave starting following week). I understand I can take the Bank Holidays in this way but not sure about the other 3? If I can't add them, should I get full pay for those days (as I usually would if I wasn't on maternity leave)? Thank you! image
  • I am 14w pg with my third baby. I have previously had a 10lb baby. So i am under shared care with my mw and hospital. What Will this entail? Plus twice the end of this week i have passed out. It has taken me an hour to shake off the light headed feeling. Plus chocolate seems to be the only thing that helps. Even though yesterday i ate scrambled eggs on toast and an apple before the chocolate. And the first time it happened i had not long eaten some toast. Should i be concerned? Thanks Xxx
  • We're about to welcome our resident midwife Nikki Khan to Babyexpert for an hour-long webchat about all things pregnancy and baby-related. Post your Qs for Nikki here!

• Hi Everyone

My name is Nikki Khan and I am Prima Baby's Expert Midwife.

I am here to answer any questions you may have in relation to pregnancy and childbirth for an hour between 3 and 4pm today.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Nikki

• Hi

Please could Nikki explain a bit about Placental Abruption. I suffered from this when I went into labour at 39 weeks and I had to have an emergency c section so wasn't really with it enough to understand what was happening and it was all such a rush!

Thank you

• Hi nimmy82

Shared care means that your maternity care is shared between the Midwife and Obstetrician, who you will probably see at one of your hospital appointments. This is mainly because you had a big baby last time and is just as a precaution to keep an eye on your little one’s growth. The light headed feeling you have is quite usual in early pregnancy and is usually due to a drop in your blood sugar or blood pressure which tends to settle down mid second trimester. However it would be worth mentioning your sugar cravings to your Midwife or GP as you may need a random blood sugar test to ensure that you don’t have something called Gestational Diabetes which can be a cause of big babies and they would probably want to exclude that.

Also persistent light headedness can be due to anaemia so contact your Midwife if it persists and she can do a blood test to reassure you.

Good Luck!

Nikki

• Hi JerseyGirl 100

Unfortunately, everything happens very quickly when a placental abruption occurs and full explanations are not always forthcoming..

What a placental abruption means is that the placenta starts to seperate from the uterine wall before the baby is born. This can deprive your baby of oxygen and can also cause severe bleeding, hence the urgency to deliver as this can be harmful to both you and your baby.

It is usually identified by a constant contraction & bleeding per vagina and occurs in the third trimester. It is more common in women suffering from high blood pressure and pre eclampsia or those that smoke but the true cause is unknown.

If you are near term and the abruption is severe then delivery is by emergency ceserean section. However if the abruption is minor and your baby is doing well, you may be allowed to labour but this is dependent on how severe the abruption is and the condition of you and your baby

Hope that helps!

Nikki

• Hi Wantingnotwo

Headaches in pregnancy are a symptom that is not often discussed but there are quite a few sufferers out there! It commonly occurs in the first few weeks of pregnancy, & usually improves or stops from about 17 weeks pregnant, so not long now, although some women do suffer throughout the pregnancy. They are commonly caused by the high levels of hormones and if you are normally a headache sufferer, you are unfortunately more likley to get them in pregnancy too! Taking Paracetemol can help, as can some topical treatments to the temples which are safe in pregnancy, but check with your Pharmacist first. I have also known some women have good results from acupuncture treatment, but ensure your Practitioner is trained in treating pregnant women!

However if your headaches persist , keep your Midwife informed and she will monitor your blood pressure to ensure it is not due to high blood pressure. Also ensure your keep yourself well hydrated as this can also be a cause as can low blood sugars! So drink and eat regularly!!

With regards to fetal movements, as you know what they feel like being a second time mum, you may notice subtle movements between 15 and 18 weeks gestation!

Hope that helps!

Nikki

• Hi everyone

Get your questions in by 4pm & I promise to answer all questions recieved over the next hour or so!

Nikki

• Hi Nikki

If you get time could you answer the queries posted by user undecideduk2, as at the top of the thread please? Thanks so much Nikki. Alison, Web Ed

• Our thanks to Nikki Khan for joining us this afternoon. Hopefully she's answered your queries fully, and will pop back to help undecideduk2 with her queries later today. Web Ed

• Hi Alison, Web Ed

I left undecideduk2 till later as she was not available for the online webchat so was leaving her till last to answer! Hope that was OK!

Nikki x

• Hi Undecideduk2

Sorry about the delay in replying!

Hope you had a good day & I hope I can put your concerns to rest.

Factor VII deficiency is a blood clootting disorder and as long as the medical staff are aware, there are certian precautionary measures they will put in place, but it is important to remember that it is just that, 'precautionary'. You are obviously already aware of the risks of Factor VII deficiency as being that of an increased risk of haemorrhage and for that reason your midwife and medical staff may not agree to you delivering in a Birthing Centre which is deemed for low risk women. Conversely, they may agree, as it is part of the main NHS Hospital . So you will need to have a discussion with your Midwife and Obstetrician as to the safest option for you and your baby . After all the ultimate outcome has to be the health and wellbeing of both of you!

Good luck and stay positive!!

Nikki

• Hi Undecideduk2

Thought I would answer this legal rights one seperately!

Allowing a woman to substitute leave for the bank holidays that she was unable to take during her maternity leave was reinforced by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) decision in Gomez.  This case concerned a fixed holiday period (such as Christmas) that fell during Ms Gomez's maternity leave. The ECJ held that a woman must be able to take her annual leave at a time outside her maternity leave. Bank holidays are effectively a fixed day's leave and it is believed that this principle should  be applied in such cases.

Basically you should either be given the right to take them or be paid for them, but this will need clarifiation from your HR department.

A very helpful website with an out of hours helpline is www.babylaw.co.uk, which may be worth having a look at.

You may also find the website, http://www.direct.gov.uk. useful for more general advice,

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Nikki

• Hi Everyone

Great to have such varied questions !

Good luck with all your pregnancies and take care!

Nikki x

• Thanks so much Nikki, we all really appreciate your help! Alison, Web Ed

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions