Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

6weeks but no heartbeat at scan please help

:\?I'm looking for some advice. I am 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant and today I had my 1st scan. They tried scanning my belly 1st but were unable to see things properly as I am still early so they looked inside. They scanner told me that she was unable to see a heartbeat and I had to come back next week. She said I have properly will have a miscarriage and I should start bleeding soon! I have looked on the internet and found many woman who were unable to hear/see a heartbeat but when they went back there was once also this happened to my close friend and her baby is fine. I just want to no is there any hope for my baby and does this happen a lot. The scanner seemed not to have much hope but how can I not. Please if anyone can give me some advice I will be most thankful.

Replies

• Hi, really sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time. I don't have any first hand experience however when I saw my midwife at six weeks she said she wouldn't check for a heart beat as you can't always pick it up and it only panics people if you can't hear it. I'm going back at 12 weeks and she says we will definately be able to hear it then all being well. I live in Norway so it is a bit different here (we don't get a scan until 17 weeks). If you aren't happy why don't you give your GP a call and see if they can give you any advice.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. xx
  • i have heard many stories of when you go back the baby is fine unfortunately it didnt happen for me and i lost the baby but i also have a friend who went on to have a very healthy little boy so never give up hope hun good luck lots of love anita x x x
  • Hi, theres always hope hollie, I havent had it happen with me but my friend did, and she went to have a healthy pregnancy and babe. Whilst its true that theres a chance you may mc, theres also a chance that the sonographer just didnt pick up a heartbeat. My fingers are crossed for you and my thoughts are with you. Good luck x
  • hi hollie,

I was sorry to hear your scan didn't go well and I really do hope that things turn out ok for you. It might be best if you give the midwife a call to get some more information about your scan. I've had something similar only this week - sadly there is def no hope for me. However, I really didn't take in what she said when I was at the hospital and it was only a couple of days later when I rang up I really understood what was happening.

Have they arranged for you to have another scan a week after your first scan to see if there is any growth. You need to find out why they suggested you will miscarry. My understanding is that it is only at 6 weeks you can pick up a heartbeat (I might be wrong though) - if you're only just over 6 weeks the lack of heartbeat may be that your dates are out slightly.

I really would give them a call - I'm sure they wont mind explaining things. It's better than worrying yourself about what might/might not happen.

good luck,

gr x
  • hi, my friend went for scan 6wks no heartbeat, then scan again 8 wks all fine and a few wks she had 12wks scan and all well. think usually around 8 wks they know better. hope all goes well becs xx
  • hi, i think theres always hope. my friend has had a missed m/c and is pregant again but they wouln't scan her until 9weeks so they could def pick up a heartbeat and her pregnancy has continued, i thought it was very difficult to pick up a heartbeat at 6wks. I agree that you should find out why they said that to you, i know she was prob trying to prepare you but to beable to say you will start bleeding soon without a good reason is not good enough. i really hope everything works out for you xx
  • Hi, I think that it is terrible for them to leave you in limbo for 6 weeks. Can't you try and get a scan at nine weeks if you don't start to bleed in the next days? I am sorry that I can't say anything to reassure you or make you feel better. I am thinking of you and hope for the best, Samantha xx
  • HI
    This happened to me when I first found out I pregnant I was sent for 4 scans in total until they found the heart beat. My advice would be to speak with another doctor and get a second opinion. Its really early an sometimes they can get it wrong. I hope everything goes well for you
    Emdeelaa
  • Good Luck with everything, It is really early still and hopefully you should start to pick up the heartbeat within the next week or so. I sort of know how you feel, i had a bleed at 10 weeks and had to go for a scan. Thankfully everything was ok and i've now only got 6 weeks left to go until BDay. Try not to worry too much pet, i'm sure everything will be fine!! Why have you had a scan at six weeks was there something wrong that you had to go for scan? xx
  • I'm in exactly the same position and am really anxious. I got pregnant on the pill so no-one really knows how pregnant I am. I had a scan 3 weeks ago which showed nothing but the sac and yolk sac. I went back yesterday to be told there was no heartbeat, that I'm approximately 8 weeks pregnant, and that the pregnancy "hasn't progressed as it should". I was devastated. It wasn't until I got home and looked more closely at the paperwork they gave me that I saw it said I was 6 weeks pregnant and it was too early to see a heartbeat. I'm to go back in ten days. It was the look on the nurses faces and multiple "I'm so sorry" comments that I got that made me think the baby had no chance. Now I'm not sure - whether to hope or to resign myself to an eventual miscarriage.
  • Geez im sorry to hear this, but for her to prepare you for miscarriage seems rough? I know for some 6wks is still early i was suprised to hear my babys heartbeat at a 6wk ultarsound i didnt think it was going to happen. If you have a decent doctor im sure they will monitor your pregnancy closely, i know mine did. Just hold on and keep your fingers crossed, everything happens for a reason I am now learning...good luck
  • Hey, i had a scan 2 weeks ago where i was told my baby was only 4 weeks and there was only a yoke sack there. I went today and was told i am now 8 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I was really confused and still am. It means that at my last scan they should have seen the baby at 6 weeks and it should have had a heart. They can make mistakes. Just be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. Good luck for your second scan hopefully there will be heartbeat as it is a week older and more formed.

Hope i helped =] x
  • i had scan im 6weeks pregnant but no heart beat i got 2 go bk in weeks time im worried

• Hello, just read your post - wishing you all the best, how devastating to be left in limbo, cannot begin to imagine how you are feeling. My heart goes out to you and my fingers are crossed xx

• Hi I am going through the same thing.  I have had two previous miscarriages and my consultant advised an early scan at 6 weeks...they found bleeding around the sac and no heartbeat, he said it wasn't looking to good. They would rescan in a week. I was left heartbroken! I spent the week in limbo not knowing what was going on expecting to bleed at any time.  The week passed I went for my 2nd scan this time to be told by the sonographer that the bleeding was worse and still no heart beat was to be found.  I saw the doctor after the scan and she then told me that they were going to rescan me in 9 days time as I had gone from measuring  5 weeks on my 1st scan to 6 on the 2nd so as far as they were concerned the pregnancy is developing..I may start bleeding she doesn't know.  I really don't know what to expect or how to feel, Im scared to death I'm going to lose this baby too. I hope everything works out for you. x

• First of all my heart and understanding goes out to anyone who is going through this situation.  Its so tramatic and because it's so early in the pregnancy you may not have told anyone so its also isolating and you get the feeling that nobody understands why you're behaving so irratically. 

I read lots of these boards when I went through a very similiar situation and they were really helpful and (slightly addictive) so I thought I would share my experience.  

I don't think that it is the amount of weeks that makes a difference about hearing a heart beat  I think it's the CRL size. I was about 5-6 weeks and my scan measured CRL 5.5mm and there was no heart beat. I read lot's of boards saying don't give up, it's still too early and that may be right in some cases, but I found a nursing website that said anything above 4mm with no heartbeat is "ominous" and anything above 5mm is classified as a MMC .  It kind of gave me the strength I needed to ignore the pregnancy symptoms because they were giving me false hope. Its the waiting and not knowing between the two scans which destroys and drains you.  I think that the best piece of advice that I could give would be to listen to your body and decide what it is telling you and stick with it.  My body was telling me that I had miscarried as my pregnancy symptoms were fading.   When I went for the second scan it was confirmed that there was no growth or heartbeat.  It was horrible to hear and I was still devasted but I had already begun to say goodbye and make peace with the situation.

Again it's so hard because your mind, heart and body are all in conflict.  Love and support goes out to every women in this situation. xx

• Thanks so much XX2 for your feedback!  These posts are really encouraging and comforting. I did a pregnancy test 2 weeks ago that said i was pregnant but i have heaps of spotting and hadn't missed a period yet so it was a bit confusing. I went to my Dr who did some blood tests to see if my hormone levels were rising and then sent me for a scan. They could see the fetus on the scan but no heartbeat so i was told to go back to my Dr but probably wait for a miscarriage. My Dr has now said I must wait until next week and if i haven't miscarried go for another scan!!  I still have pregnancy symptoms but am now questioning myself as to whether they are fading or not - and it is making me go crazy!  I just want to know either way!! I still don't really have any idea of how many weeks it is either so all in all feeling very frustrated! After reading lots of different blogs and posts etc I will now go to the next scan prepared with my long list of questions! I am okay with a miscarriage if that is what is to happen, I just want to know either way so I can get on with it and get pregnant again.

• First of all… .  No doctor would take me because under 10 weeks pregnant.  Had been having cramping on both sides and starving every hour since conception and light spotting started.  Suspected Twins due to many factors.  5 days later after no one would check on us, I went to the ER.  Diagnosed with Threatened Abortion.  They did an Ultrasound, the same day, at 5.71 weeks actual (7.14 weeks LMP).  Baby was 6wk3day and heartbeat at 100.  They cannot say if I lost a fraternal or identical twin and that’s ok, there’s a baby in there Yay!   Suddenly there was panic of the heartbeat and I was asked to return in one week.  Returned at 6.71 weeks actual (8.14 LMP) but to a different facility in outpatient.  Was told NO heartbeat.  Was told first Ultrasound could have been mine.  Was told HCG was going up just fine the first week and it only rose 359.  Now panic and it rose 1299 in a week… that’s about the same people for how mine has been rising.  Confirmed first was baby heartbeat and 100 actually was fine for the gestation.  2nd Ultrasound Radiologist cannot confirm miscarriage.  Finally I get an appointment and guess what… they want to D&C.  Excuse me…. and they cannot confirm?  I feel for everyone who has or is suffering and it is easier said than done to wait.  =(    Mentally… this whole thing has been of bad ethics there cannot be that much of a variety of diagnoses when one is talking life or death.

• HCG confirmed incomplete miscarriage.  So many questions as to why; cysts, empty sella, titled backward uterus, hereditary on husband’s side possibly, just will never know. 

3rd sonogram today as per follow-up doctor’s order to keep pre-planned appointment to see deceased baby again.  Such a roller coaster of emotions. 

Mums… don’t let your doctor’s offices tell you know they cannot see you or test you for anything because infections kill fetuses too.  What I mean is if you don’t feel right; demand medical care because your body is telling you.    

• Just reading all the comments girls as I'm sitting here in exact same situation. Am 6 weeks pregnant, had a tiny spitting on weds evening n a cramp that lasted about 5 minutes. Was sent for internal scan yesterday to rule out eptopic pregnancy. Was told I measured at 6 weeks, sac and embryo in the right place but no heartbeat found. I have to go back next Thursday for another scan and I'm just wondering do I still hold on to hope? I have had no blood or shows since and but have had slight twinge cramps, I'm not sure if I'm convincing myself they are ok or bad but I do know I'm totally exhausted and have a constant nauseous feeling. A week wait feels so far away!xx