Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012

Anyone pg who has other kids at nursery?

DD1 is in nursery 4 days a week currently and will start school in Sept 2013. I am wondering what to do with her as far as nursery is concerned with little bean comes along in November. During term time, I could reduce her hours and eep her in for the free 15 hours a week (but not immediately), but then when the school holidays come along next year, don't know whether to keep her in nursery part time (so she is stimulated and learning) and pay the fees (when I will only be paid SMP), or take her out completely until she goes to school and enjoy the time before she is at school 5 days a week.

What is everyone else doing?

Replies

•  

I’m in exactly the same situation as you.

I’m keeping my daughter in two days a week term time and holidays as I want to keep her routine, but I also know I’m not going to want to be getting up and doing the nursery run when she doesn’t actually need to be in nursery so I think halving the number of days she goes would be a good compromise.

She loves nursery and has made lots of friends, until now she’s been an only child and things are going to change a lot for her and I don’t want her going to nursery to be one of those things.

Also depending on what your other half earns you may qualify for extra tax credits to help with child care costs while you’re on SMP.

• Hi,

Gc from did. My ds is 2 1/2. Gets his 15 hours in Jan. Currently goes 1 or 2 days a week depending on week. I will def keep him.in one day us the 15 hours and in holidays up to 2 if cash allows. This way I think he gets stimulated and time away fro from baby and gets to be independent which he loves. Will feel a bit guilty though abt seeing him less when on mat leVel with baby x x
  • We've had an change of plan now, she's going to start pre school in the village in September, it's either mornings OR afternoons so we're putting her in the 5 mornings a week session but we'll keep her out on a Friday and she'll still go to nurseryl. We live quite ruraly and her nursery is a 40 min round trip, which I don't mind doing once a week but any more than that while I'm not working seems silly, the preschool is free as well so I'll only be paying the fees for the 1 day. she's been going there for 3 years now and has made some good friendships so we don't want to take her away form that entirely. Also with the changes happening in september, we hope she'll be settled before the baby arrives. When the baby starts nursery that's where she'll be going and they'll both be in for holidays too.