Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Underactive thyroid

Hi ladies just wondering if any of you are ttc with an underactive thyroid? I'm currently on month 13 and month 2 of clomid. Af is due on Friday. I had an overactive thyroid for years and when I was pg with dd my thyroid went underactive and I ended up with pre-eclampsia but I didn't start treatment until dd was about 4 months. This month it's really bothering me, I'm very weepy and I keep reading on google that it is a cause for infertility. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Hi Rosapenny I did not want to read and run. I do not know much about it but I do know it can impact fertility but I think it is quite easy to solve. Try not to worry your gp should be able to help you out.

x

• Thanks Joey, I had my resukts done recently and they do say the levels are normal so just hoping the clomid does the job image

• I have hypothyroidism.

I've never heard of it causing infertility. So long as you are taking the right medication your cycles should be normal (28-35 days) and there's no reason for you not to ovulate. Or so my doctor has told me...

My daily dosage is 200mg of Levothyroxin so my thyroid pretty much doesn't work on it's own.

Can I ask what dosage you are on? Are you being monitored regularly?

It took us 9 months to conceive our son back in 2009 and this time we have been ttc for 6 months. I spoke with my doctor last month and asked for Chlomid, she told me that it can decrease the quality of the cervical mucas, which in turn can make conception more difficult so wouldn't prescribe it just  yet...

x