Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Your back to nursery and school health questions answered

Join Dr Rob Hicks here on Wednesday 22nd August from 1-2pm. Rob will be on hand to answer your questions about children’s health, helping you be prepared for your little one’s first day at nursery or school.

For more information on children's health, visit the BootsWebMD.com children's health centre.

We look forward to seeing you!

Replies

• We look forward to welcoming  Dr Rob Hicks for a live webchat on Wed at 1pm, focusing on your toddler and pre-schooler health Qs. Post your query here if you can't join us on the day! Thanks, Web Ed

• Hi Dr Hicks,

Please can you tell me what are the most important foods i need to include in my kid Sam's lunchbox?

Thanks,

Dee

• Hi Dr Hicks,

My three year old has a relatively deep graze on his hand from a fall on the pavement. I have bandaged it but am nervous about it becoming infected when he returns to nursery and starts playing with other children. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent infection?

Thanks so much!

• Hi,

My 5 year old boy has started to get really travel sick, which is making the summer holidays difficult! do you have any top tips?

• A warm welcome to Dr Rob Hicks, our guest GP for our live webchat on behalf of BootsWebMD.com. Please start posting any baby or toddler health Qs!

• Hello, and welcome to the BootsWebMD.com webchat!

I’m Dr Rob Hicks and I’m looking forward to answering your questions.

I’ll do my best to answer as many of your questions as possible, and as quickly as I can!

• how many  hours sleep should my 2 year old need per night and does he still need daytime naps?

• Hello Dee

Great question, thank you!

A lunch box should contain, starchy foods, protein foods, a dairy food, and some fruit, vegetables or salad.

Starchy foods such as rice, potato, pasta should make up about a third of the food, then include one dairy food such as a piece of cheese or a yogurt, and a portion (handful) of fruit, vegetables, or salad.

Try and vary what’s in your child’s lunchbox so he doesn’t get bored!

It’s a good idea to show him what’s in his lunchbox before he goes off to school each day. Before having a lunchbox lunch for the first time it can help to have a few practise ‘school lunches’ at home so he gets used to what he needs to do. And don't make the mistake I once did which was to choose a great-looking lunchbox that my daughter found difficult to open!

• is it better for my 2 year old to get chicken pox now or when he is older. his friends have chicken pox and their parents are having 'pox parties' but i'm not sure if that's such a good idea!?

• Hi Dr.Hicks,

My youngest has a habit of constantly putting everything he can see into his mouth.

Just sending him off to his first day at nursery and am concerned about choking and all the things that come along with that.

Do i mention this to the nursery or do i allow them to figure it out for themselves?

Is there a way i can prevent this?

thanks

• Hi Domi

I'm sorry to hear about your son's fall

By the time he returns to school it will probably have all healed up. Keep an eye out for signs of infection such as redness and oozing of liquid. To prevent infections keep it clean. Obviously if you’re concerned about it then ask your GP’s advice.

To boost keep his immunity fighting fit make sure he has a healthy diet, plenty of activity, and enough rest too.

• Hi Minniemax

Thanks for your question about travel sickness.

This can get a day out or a holiday off to a really bad start. It’s a good idea to have a light meal before travelling, and try and ensure he has a clear view of the road ahead when in a car. Avoid activities that mean he’s looking down in his lap – singing songs or playing ‘eye-spy’ or ‘spot the red car’ help. There are over the counter travel sickness medicines available so have a word with your pharmacist about a suitable one. Acupressure wrist bands are worth considering too.

• Hi Lucy

To be honest headlice are a normal part of childhood and there’s no reason to feel embarrassed if your child gets this infection. It’s difficult to prevent since the lice are passed from head to head when child play together. Once a week, check your child’s head for headlice and only if you see live lice is treatment needed. Using headlice treatments to prevent headlice is not recommended because this is ineffective. There’s more information here:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/children/ss/slideshow-lice-overview?ecd=cpl_bex_lic

Thank you for your question!

• Thanks Dr Hicks

• Hi saw82

Generally speaking 2 year olds need about 12 hours sleep at night, and a daytime nap of around 1-2 hours.

Thank you for asking!

• Hi Dr Hicks,

Last year my boy was completely exhausted every time he came back from school and pretty much fell asleep as soon as he came home. Should I be looking into his diet or giving him some extra vitamins and minerals this year?

• Hi Dr Rob,

I have two children and my youngest is starting nursery in Sept. Is there anything i can do to boost my little ones  immune system before she starts? My oldest child was so sickly in during his first year of nursery and i just cant cope with another year image I had to take off soo much time from work going back and forth to the doctor on a monthly basis! Please help?

• Hi TwoAngels

I think it's a good idea to let the nursery know about your son's habit of putting things in his mouth. The nursery will obviously be aware and prepared for children's different behaviours and will make sure there's nothing around that could cause problems but there's no harm in sharing this information with them.

• Hi Dr Hicks,

Obviously i am not quite ready to send my 2 3/4 year old to his new nursery this year.

but previously he has acted out of sorts with his nursery pals.  I brushed it off at first and thought it was shy behaviour, this has since continued.

i am afraid that if he doesnt interact with the group it could be a trend in his youth.

is this normal?

if i he does not start interacting now will this be continual behaviour throughout his youth?

tough question i know but i feel lost and thought this opportunity to speak to a doc was a great moment.

Thank you!

• My two year old son is refusing to eat any vegetables at home and I'm worried he may not be getting enough nutrients and will also refuse to eat vegetables in his nursery meals - have you got any tips for fussy eaters?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions