Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Low blood pressure

Hiya ladies,

MW appointment went well, accept my blood pressure was low.

Should I be worried?

Can I do anything to get it back to the normal range?

Cheers,

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Do you know if your bp is normally low outside of pregnancy? How low is it now? Mine has always been low and still is during pregnancy, but so for me it isn't anything out of the ordinary. Mine tends to be somewhere between 105/64 and 95/53. There's nothing I know of that you can do to make it higher, and to be honest you don't really want to unless it's crazy low...low bp is much healthier than high as high starts to put you at risk for pre-eclampsia and other such things!!! The only thing to be aware of is that you might get dizzy spells especially if you haven't eaten or get up too fast from sitting or lying down. Just make sure you eat and drink regularly and take it slowly when you get up. Also be aware if you have a hot bath to be careful when you get out, I often get black spots in my vision when I get out of the bath!

.x.
  • Options

Hi,

How low is your blood pressure? How's your diet and activities?

You should be worried if your BP is consistently lower than 80/50 mmHg.

You can do a lot of things to get it back to normal range which is between 100-120/60-90 mmHg.

First, examine what you have been eating or drinking. If you're not eating much and not drinking more healthy type of fluids, this can lead to dehydration and low blood volume which can be seen in low blood pressure reading.

Second, think about the activities of daily living. Are you just staying on bed whole day? For as long as your not dizzy, walk...walk...walk...this will help increase blood flow or circulation which is healthy for you and your baby.

I hope this helps.