Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2013

hospital bag

would like to know realistically what needs to go in there,if you follow the list from mags/hospitals i would need a truck for it all, getting mine prepared because my husbands female relation all went in to labour very early! as did i and both my sisters!

Replies

• I packed my first one at 25 weeks too image

maternity notes

couple of baby vests

couple of baby gros

hat (the ones they put on them in hosp arent very pretty)

nappies (I just bought newbor ones even though I packed early)

camera!

comfy t-shirt (you might want it for labour)

nursing bra/vest

comfy pyjama/tracksuit bottoms

slippers (not your favs incase the get spoilt but i wouldnt want to walk barefoot in hosp)

comfy knickers

maternity pads

Feminine wash

my auntie suggested a small pack of Dettol/flash wipes as you may leave a little mess at the toilet so just incase there is nothing there to deal with it.

oh and some lovely shower gel - you'll deserve it.

My hubby also snuck a kingsize snickers bar in as I'd not eaten nuts all pregnancy and had been craving snickers for ages!

I'm sure I've missed out some really important, fundamental things but I'm pregnant so my brain doesn't workimage but you can always send someone to a 2 hour supermarket image

All the best x
  • .....24 hour supermarket... (oops)
  • I packed my first one at 25 weeks too image

maternity notes

couple of baby vests

couple of baby gros

hat (the ones they put on them in hosp arent very pretty)

nappies (I just bought newbor ones even though I packed early)

camera!

comfy t-shirt (you might want it for labour)

nursing bra/vest

comfy pyjama/tracksuit bottoms

slippers (not your favs incase the get spoilt but i wouldnt want to walk barefoot in hosp)

comfy knickers

maternity pads

Feminine wash

my auntie suggested a small pack of Dettol/flash wipes as you may leave a little mess at the toilet so just incase there is nothing there to deal with it.

oh and some lovely shower gel - you'll deserve it.

My hubby also snuck a kingsize snickers bar in as I'd not eaten nuts all pregnancy and had been craving snickers for ages!

I'm sure I've missed out some really important, fundamental things but I'm pregnant so my brain doesn't workimage but you can always send someone to a 2 hour supermarket image

All the best x
  • Thankyou Pixie for replying, one more question, do i need to put a bib and muslim in aswell? first time and i seem to have lots of question!the list from my hospital would have me bring in twice as much!

• Hiya,

firstly apologies for posting twice, I' ve no idea why that happened - hoping it won't again but new comp so who knowsimage

I suppose a bib and muslin could be handy - guess visitors might appreciate it if baby pukes on their lovely, "I'm going to have my photo with a new baby" clothes image

With my 1st I was in hospital less than 48 hours. The first 12 I was in labour (so my bag didn't even get opened as I had put a baggy t-shirt and comfy bra on as I left the house). DD was born at 13:00 and visiting time started at 15:00 so by the time I'd made it to the ward I was surroundedimage I would liked to have changed into a bra and nursing vest at that point but had overdosed on gas and air so was a bit dippy (to say the least) and forgot. Hubby stayed after the other visitors and then when he left we pretty much went to sleep (still in baggy t-shirt).

Next day got up, showered and dressed but the ward was so warm I ended up stripping down to a pair of my (thankfully big) comfy knickers and a nursing vest. I just had to stay in for paed check, hearing etc (as she was born on a Sun so no-one was around that aft). once all that was done hubby came back, bringing car seat, newly bought pin hat, and a coat for me (that reminds me I also had packed a neutral coloured all in one, snuggle suit for baby). was in hosp less than 12 hours with DS so really didn't need much!

I realise you didn't ask for my birth history but hope that by explaining what happened whilst in hosp it might help you work out what you need. I'm planning to pack similar stuff again but during my nesting period I will make sure my bedroom drawers etc are tidy, organised and free from embarrassing items so that if my stay is longer I can send mum or hubby home with a (possibly prewritten) list of other things I need.

Hope this has been useful, please if you do want to ask anything else don't hesitate. Its been 5 years since my last pregnancy so any revision is useful image

Pix x

ps just remembered I also packed a dummy I got free from bounty or something, wasn't sure if I wanted to use one but thought it was better safe than sorry