Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Staying healthy during pregnancy and when breastfeeding

Join Boots UK pharmacist Angela Chalmers and nutritionist Vicky Pennington here on Wednesday 21st November 2012 from 12-1pm. Angela and Vicky will be on hand to answer your questions about staying healthy during pregnancy and when breastfeeding.

For more information on this webchat and Boots UK's new in-store Pregnancy & New Mum Support Service click here.

We look forward to hearing your questions!

Replies

• My wife was active during her first pregnancy. going to the gym regularly, going for walks regurlaly and generally being active and full of energy. This time she spends less time doing activities, even when she is not looking after our first born. Should I be worried about her health during this pregnancy? or is it down to the fact that we have a son running around draining her of energy where as previously there wasn't anyone.

• I'm 28 weeks pregnant and have terrible blisters/ulcers on my tongue. I ahve had them for about 7 weeks now. Is this a pregnancy related thing? What can i do?

• I have a two year old and seem to be constantly exhausted chasing around after him. I try to eat well balancd meals and get as much sleep as you can with a 2 year old. Should I look into taking supplements to boost my energy? If so what would you reccommend?

• I've been having such bad morning sickness. I am entering my second trimester but it doesn't seem to be easing. Please any advice would be much appreciated!

• This is my first pregnancy and I'm very nervous about breast feeding, I've heard some horror stories about painful breasts and worrying the baby isn't getting enough food.  What do you recommend for a first timer?

• Im 24+2 with my second dd - in my first pregnancy, I gained nearly 5 stone (gulp), and I want to try to avoid that sort of weight gain this time around. Any hints and tips on eating more healthily plus some pregnancy-appropriate exercise advice would be greatly appreciated...

• Hi, I was just wondering if I should I be eating more calories while pregnant? Any advice would be great, thanks x

• A friend of mine has suggested I take a course of hypnobirthing classes to help to reduce labour pain and I was wondering what exactly this involves? I want to have a natural birth but I don’t know if I should be sceptical about alternative pain relief - is this something you have come across/would recommend?

• I am 5 months pregnant and as the winter sets in I am worried about getting the flu. Should I consider having the flu jab and is it safe?

• Hi Vicky, I am pregnant with twins (19 weeks) and would like to know your opinion on whether I should be taking additional supplements e.g. higher doses of vitamin D, DHA/EPA, folate etc.? There doesn't seem to much information out there for nutrition in multiple pregnancies. Thanks!

• Hi im 34 weeks and just got out the bath and felt a trickle down my legs that i couldnt stop, since this i have had to keep going to the toilet, could this be my waters breaking? this is my first child and i havent got a clue.

• Hi again. I love to exercise and im just wondering when I should stop exercising, if I should? Im 20 weeks pregnant at the moment and would really like to keep going on gentle jogs and keep swimming if possible? Will this harm the baby?

• I've been having stomach cramps for the past few weeks, what could this be? I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my first!

• Hi. I'm six months pregnant and just had a query about breastfeeding. If I have problems breastfeeding for any reason, what are my other options?

• Hello! Are there any major food groups I should avoid in the first stage of my preganancy? There is so much conflicting information out there and I feel a bit scared to eat anything other than plain bland food..

• Hi, I have nausea throughout the day which makes it difficult to eat and keep food down. I've been drinking complan drinks as it says they are safe on the website but it does contain some Vitamin A - is this ok?

Also if I am drinking them should I still take my prenatal vitamin (this doesn't contain vitamin A) or will I get enough vitamins from the drinks?

I've asked my midwife for advice but she hasn't got back to me so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• We have a Q posted via our facebook page:

Nina Daisysmummy Perkins How much exercise is healthy during the first trimester?

• We are getting ready to welcome Boots UK pharmacist Angela Chalmers and nutritionist Vicky Pennington here shortly.

Angela and Vicky will be on hand to answer your questions about staying healthy during pregnancy and when breastfeeding.

Thanks for posting all your pre-webchat Qs, do keep them coming and Angela and Vicky will begin posting their answers between 12-1pm.

• A big Babyexpert welcome to Angela Chalmers and Vicky Pennington from Boots UK, who are joining us to answer your questions on pregnancy health, and breastfeeding.

• Hi All!

Its Angela here from Boots UK. Thank you for joining our live web chat and for all your questions so far. Over the next hour we are going to be here to answer your questions about pregnancy and being a new mum. Boots has just launched a new Pregnancy and New Mum Support Service so if we don’t get a chance to answer your question over the next hour please do pop into your local Boots pharmacy. Your Boots pharmacist will be on hand to answer any questions or you can pick up an information leaflet. Let’s get started...

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions