Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in May 2013

Worried after scan

Ok this might be a long one so please stick with me. I had my scan on wednesday (stayed team yellow) and everything is fine with baby. But the placenta is completely covering my cervix. I had the mw on thursday so mentioned it to her and all she said was 'lets hope it moves' and to mention it to the consultant when I see her at the end of the month.

I was wondering what my chances are that it will move so I googled it - I stayed away from forums and scare stories and only read 2 articles (one on this website) about it and am now really worried as its quite dangerous. As my placenta is completely covering (placenta praevia) there is only a 10% chance that it will move. Which means I will have to have an early c-section to avoid going into labour. I have to try and get my head around that as the thought of a c-section scares me anyway, and now I'd have to have one with 3 kids.

But there are a list of things I can't do - no exertion, stretching, lifting, sex, orgasms. Bleeds are very common after 27 weeks and if I have one I have to get straight to a&e as it could lead to placental abruption. But as my placenta is also anterior (at the front) it makes things worse, as any knock to my stomach no matter how little, could result in a bleed or the placenta detatching! I'm also meant to be on complete bed rest for a few days because I am getting horrible pains across my bump which the midwife has put down to stress (I wont go into that, we'll be here all week!). Only my hubby works away, we've just exchanged on our house, we're house hunting and have a very busy weekend planned so that isnt going to happen anytime soon.

I told some friends about it and they just said 'dont worry, take it easy' - but it isnt that easy!! My family never ever help me out (barely see them to be honest) so there is nobody I can ask to help me out. Hubby needs our car for work as well so everything is an effort/exertion for me, including the nursery run, and with 2 kids to chase around after this isnt going to be easy. I havent even told my family about all this, including my mam as she is begging me to get sterilised as it is as she thinks 3 children it too many and I'm making a mistake having Flump. 

I know there is nothing anyone can do but I am scared anyway. I had horrendous bleeds with my first pregnancy (was told we'd lost him twice), lost my second pregnancy to miscarriage, my third I ended up with severe spd, a twisted spine, and a traumatic birth which left me with torn pelvic ligaments, post traumatic stress disorder (we both nearly died), and my son with a broken shoulder. I foolishly thought this pregnancy might be straightforward!!!

I just don't know who to turn to for support and am shocked that my midwife didnt tell me any of the things I have to watch for or be careful with image I know I should be grateful that baby is ok, but I can't help but worry about all the other stuff.

Replies

• hi hun - I really can't give you any advice as I have no idea what you are going through with all of this - but I didn't want to read and run.  You seem to be a fighter so I'd say that with the grit that you've had to get through what you have already, you'll get through this somehow.  I think you're very brave and hopefully your consultant will give you a better idea of what to expect and what do to.  How long are you waiting to see your consultant? Perhaps if its some time away you could call and see if you could get this moved forward, given the situation you're in?

Wishing you the very best of luck.

Ann-Marie x

• I was meant to see the consultant at 20 weeks (I'm 21+3) but they messed up my appointment and 'lost' me from the system. This was the quickest they could fit me in. I'm seeing her on the 30th Jan so not too long but I'll be 24 weeks by then. I'm also meant to have growth scans because my last baby was 10 lb 15 oz and he was 10 days early! So no idea what is happening with them either. Just feel very adrift with everything image And thank you for replying. xx

• can you speak to your Dr and see if he can follow up anything for you, and see if he can get a quicker answer for you?  My Dr has been great and has followed up everything for us. I think given the questions and situaiton you have, you should be getting answers quicker than you are - especially since you've already had your appointment messed up. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

AM x

• I woudl suggest speaking to your doctor...on the plus point, at least you know what is going on and can work to sort out a solution.

I would keep booking appointments until you get a good answer.

Fingers crossed for you hun x x