Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2013

Low Lying Placenta

Hi All,

I went for my 20 week scan a couple of weeks ago and was told I had a low lying placenta. She said I could have bleeds and might have to have a c section but they'd re-scan me at 32 weeks to have another check. Other than that I didn't get any more info.  I've looked online and found some more info. but I was just wondering if anyone else had any information they can give me. Im not sure if I have to be more careful or take each day as it comes and go with the flow?  I've had a few pains on my right side twice now so I'm not sure if this is related.

Replies

• hi i had a llp right up until the end at 37 weeks it had moved just enough for me to go natural though. you dont really have to do much different just be careful when stretching and dont over do it. if you do have any bleeds make sure you get it checked out especially if it gets heavier. you are more likely to get more blleds thogh as when the placenta does move (if it does) then it can cause smaller bleeds. 

• I have no experience of this, just wanted to wish you all the best and hope everything is how you hope when birthing.x

• Hi I also got told I had low lying placenta at 20 week scan. It looked mm from birth canal. I was completely reassured by sonographer who said most of the time it moved up and unlikely it would result in c section. I know a couple of people sho had low lying placenta and all had placenta move up by later scan. I am feeling a lot of low pressure, much more than last pregnancy so placenta position may explain it. Try not to worry, if it does turn our to be a prob there is something that can be done about it even it may not be ideal x
  • I had the same, at 32week scan all was fine image I think it's quite common, my mum had the same when pregnant with me as hers moved in time aswell and same with my friend image
  • Thanks for all of your comments. I think I will take it a day at a time and just carry on as normal. I dont mind having natural birth or c section, as long as its the best thing for the baby. I'm just worrying because my husband knows a lady at work who keeps getting bleeds all the time but everyome is different and i'm sure it will move out of the way by 32 weeks image
  • Sure it will be fine for both of us! Re. My earlier post its the uterus that grows not the placenta that moves-whoops!