Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Children sharing a room. Bunk beds?

Hi,

We have a lovely 3 bed house and we are thinking of putting our two boys into the same bedroom at some point as we are hoping to ttc baby number 3 soon and then the baby can have the box room.

My boys at the moment are 3 years old, and 16 months. If all goes to plan, we are hoping for a spring baby next year, and this means that by then our oldest son will be a few months away from being 5 years old (thats a scary thought!).

What i am getting at is, what are the sleeping arrangements of your children that share a bedroom?

I was hoping to get a bunk bed for the boys, when i put them into the same room. But i have been looking into it, and the top bunk bed is not recommended for children younger than 6 years old. Does anyone have their children that are younger than 6 yrs in bunk beds?

What do you recommend? Bunk beds, individual mid sleepers, or that children have their own individual normal single bed?

Thanks,

xx

Replies

• Hey Ali,
    when I had my eldest son my daughter was just 2, we lived in a two bed house which meant that when the time came for DS to move out of our room they had to share. I put him into a bed at 18months and had to get bunk beds, but managed to get a low type bed with a bed that pulled out from underneath (more like a cabin bed so not quite as high from the floor) DD was 3 1/2yrs when I put her in the top bunk and she was fine, only problem was she struggled to get up the ladders, something DS could do before she could lol.
  • I have my two eldest in bunk beds. They are probably a bit young but we had no choice really, I was sick of the two single beds taking up all the space in their bedroom. We put them up at xmas. My eldest was 5 today and then middle dd is 3 nxt Friday. We've had no problems what so ever. They actually sleep better than they did before. If it helps, I also have a friend who has her 3 yr old on the top bunk of hers and 19 month on the bottom bunk (he can't climb the ladder) and another friend who will soon be putting her 5 yr old and 1 yr old in bunk beds too. If you have a lack of space theres not really alot you can do. Best of luck with ttc number 3 hun!!x x x
  • were getting bunk beds soon for our 2 eldest girls who share a room, eldest being 4 and youngest 3. xx
  • My dd has been in top bunk since she was 4 never beea problem x
  • For what it's worth, a friend of mine had her boys sleeping safely in bunk beds at 4 and 2. Emma may be 3 now, but she won't be by the time you have your next baby. Just because bunk beds probably wouldn't work out brilliantly at this moment doesn't mean they won't in 10, 11, or 12 months.

I don't think I'd go the trundle option. Those are awesome if you occasionally need an extra bed, but for continual use I don't see that they'd save you any space. You'd still need the room to pull the bed out, and if you pushed it back in every day that's just annoying for your girls.

Is there room to put the beds on opposite walls or does the layout not allow that? I have seen rooms work well (not super aesthetically pleasing, but okay) where the beds are placed at right angles to each other on adjoining walls like this: childrens beds

• my girls sleep in bunk beds and they r 3 and 2 - it works perfectly..i bought the gorgeous swwet dreams bunk beds in pink..they come in blue too - let me know if u want some as i run a furniture company image

• When you need to accommodate two people into one bedroom you have a decision to make between having two single beds or one double bunk bed. If the room is really small then you might only have the choice of a bunk bed anyway, but if you do have a choice then you must weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of both...... more here 

• Ah my 2 kids share a room- i have a boy and a girl. I have the two beds but i picked themed beds with little 'dens' so they have their own little space that they can play. I got my sons from ikea which was proper cheap and my girls princess one which she loves.  at a young age they still need their own bit of privacy- you will know the time when they need their own space.  

• edited Jan 15, 2020 10:31AM

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Bunk beds are a really good idea. I don't have it on my own but my friend does and it works really good. Children are amazed with it!