Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

28 Month old talking but no sentences

Hello Everyone,

I have some concerns about my 28 month old son and I was wondering if I am a little overprotective or if there is cause for concern.

He was born at 36 weeks, and began to develop normally. I am concerned with his speech. He says about 70-80 words and uses them correctly. He only say one 2 word sentence "bye daddy". He trys so hard to express himself, but it's mostly babble. But he really feels like he is having a conversation with you. He will point to something of interest, or bring me to show me something or something he wants.

He understands most of everything I tell him or ask him to do. He loves to help me with the cooking, cleaning, he often pretends he is sweeping the floor or talking on the phone. It concerns me whem he doesn't respond to his name when he's watching t.v. Is this normal or do toddlers always respond to their names?

He uses gestures, waves, high five, blows kisses, nods, etc. He points to pictures when asked. He interacts well with others, some much as you can for being 2. He's got great eye contact and loves to sit in my arms and play with my hair. He gives hugs and kisses.

Am I being crazy here? Looking at what I have written, it seems like he is a normal 2 year old. He has meltdowns when he doesn't get his way or when I tell him no, he loves cartoons, going for walks, playing, reading books. Sometimes he flaps his arms when upset, but I've seen this many times. With so much concern about Autism these days, it's hard not to be concerned. Maybe I am seeing something that's not there. I think I am troubled because my cousin's son is 3 months older and has been talking in sentences since he's been 20 months.

Some advice would be nice, thanksimage

Replies

• Hi Jewels,

From what you've described I would say you have a happy, healthy 2yr old.

My eldest daughter is 37mths old & under paediatrics for delayed speech.  She can recognise her own name & follow simple instructions but she says very few words mostly babbling (we recognise more words from our 16mth old), she gestures for what she wants & gets highly frustrated when not understood, she dislikes certain postures (nobody is allowed to fold their arms, nobody is allowed to rest their head in their hands, nobody is allowed to claps their hands together in their laps), she has to sit in a particular place (left side of trolley, left side of double push chair, left side of sofa) & rocks to & fro in her seat (though our youngest also does this).  She loves ripping paper, she doesn't build towers nor puzzles but will walk around with preferred blocks instead.  She dislikes loud noise & will go into meltdown whenever her sister squeals, whenever an emergency vehicle passes or whenever a baby crys (either real or simulated).  She will approach anybody for a cuddle & has no fear/recognition of strangers.  She is being assessed for Aspergers/OCD.

• Thank you for your response.

I am going to wait until he is 30 months, then if there are not 2 word phases, I will see his doctor, it won't hurt,

Good luck with your little girl, it's hard to tell with children if they are normal or if there is cause for concern. They are all little special angels who cannot express their feelings like adults, and they all develop differently.

Thanks again.